Spare seat for tiny almost 5 year old

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
Just wondering what everyone's opinion is. My ds turns 5 in less than 2 weeks. He rides in a MA in dad's car, Frontier in mine. The past few weeks he has ridden with both my sis and my neighbor and moving the Frontier has been such a pain. UGH. I actually never could get a good install in my sisters 3rd row so I just switched cars with her.

So, I want something inexpensive, something that is lighter, something that is easier to install. I wish he were bigger and I'd get him a booster but he is only 36 or 37 lbs without shoes and I just don't want to push a booster yet.

I'm think Maestro, Gen 65? Any opinions on either? Which would you choose and why? I wish the Chase had a higher weight limit b/c I like how lightweight it is.

ADS

Kayleen

I think the maestro only weighs 10#. I like it well enough for my DD, but she is lighter/smaller then your child. Doesn't make a good booster, but fits my average sized DD harnessed very well. Sits really low profile too in DH's car.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Sears does, I think. I hear Baby Depot has it. Some BRUs I think? And possibly Buy Buy Baby. Call around.

capeKO71

Ditto on the Maestro - I use it for my 4 year old, my almost 7 year old still fits in it (similar stats to your son) and it does actually fit nicely in booster mode - just doesn't go up high enough to make it useful (but my almost 7 year old has used it in booster mode because he's short and it fits great).

FYI - the maestro's that I ordered for my program are brown... and really soft... I'd say similar fabric to the britax covers... weird that they don't have that pattern on the website.

Callansmomma

CPS Technician
I agree with the others, get the Maestro. Sears.com seems to have the best price. Last time I checked it was $71.99 with free shipping to the store. If you do a search you should be able to find a coupon to use to make it even less.

Mommy2Marcus

I have not played with the Measto, but own the Gen 65. I really like it. It is VERY light weight, easy to install, easy to use, fits my son well & is really LOW to the vehicle seat. It does have a slightly lower top slot than the Meastro, but will work well for us. I am guessing we will need it for about 2 more years & Marcus should fit it for that time frame.

Just thought I would share my experience with the Gen 65. However part of me wishes I had gotten a Meastro now with how everyone here talks about them. :eek:

However if your DS has a taller torso than he may need the Meastro.

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
I think I'll call Baby Depot and Sears today. Working as a booster would be a huge bonus for times when we need it as well. I just cannot haul around the Frontier any more and stress over how long it will take me to get it in someone's car. Our spare MA expired in Jan!!

I hope our coalition orders some. I think it's an awesome program seat!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC