Something that I have always wondered about...

dkdean

Why are there not more top-tether positions in vehicles with 3 rows? I'd love to have the captain's seats and the back row all have top tether positions. Is there a reason that it is typically the captain's seat and middle position in the back row?

ADS

crunchierthanthou

The short answer is because they don't have to. FMVSS 225 requires vehicles with at least 3 rear seating positions to have two full sets of LATCH (lower anchors and top tethers) plus one additional tether anchor (with some exclusions). Most manufacturers stick with the bare minimum. :( It's frustrating, especially with minivans that are geared toward families with several younger children.

mommy-medic

My toyota sienna had 5 rear seating positions in 2 rows, and 4 top tether anchors.

My toyota Sequoia has 6 seating positions in 2 rows, and 5 top tether anchors.

:thumbsup: Toyota.

dkdean

Hmmm....I was hoping there was a better answer (not in offense to you, but to the manufacturers)....Is it really that expensive to do? It drives me nuts! Between the belt install and inability to tether FF seats in outboard positions in the back row, it really limits the seating. Hopefully with car seat companies coming out more explicitly and saying "Yes, you must use the top tether when FF", more car companies wll get on board.

Thanks for the response :)

dkdean

My toyota sienna had 5 rear seating positions in 2 rows, and 4 top tether anchors.

Yay Toyota!! That will certainly make me look at them when it's time to turn in this lease!

crunchierthanthou

the redesigned 2011 Sienna appears to only have LATCH in the 2nd row outboard captain's chairs and 3rd row offset center (the 8 seaters used to have full LATCH in 5/6 rear positions).

:thumbsdown: Toyota.

lpperry

Ford is pretty awesome about tethers. My 2000 Windstar has a bench seat in the middle and a bench in the third row. It has tether spots in all 5 seating positions, PLUS it has a tether on the front passenger seat! Nice if you want to tether a rearfacing seat on the passenger side bench!

It also has LATCH in 4 positions in the van. I was very impressed since this van is 10 years old and I had heard a lot about what you are talking about--lack of top tethers.

I don't have answers for you, but I think people should start complaining!

We just went to an auto show and the new 2010 Sienna has a footrest in the captain chairs now. It looks like you are in the dentist office in your van. Off topic, but since we were talking about vans, I thought I'd share!

Jennifer mom to my 7

We just went to an auto show and the new 2010 Sienna has a footrest in the captain chairs now. It looks like you are in the dentist office in your van. Off topic, but since we were talking about vans, I thought I'd share!

It is the 2011 my sienna with the footrests. They have also dropped 2 full sets of latch and made the middle 8th seat much smaller (think odyssey). But, they did add this really cool storage place for it:rolleyes:

mkmama

Ford is pretty awesome about tethers. My 2000 Windstar has a bench seat in the middle and a bench in the third row. It has tether spots in all 5 seating positions, PLUS it has a tether on the front passenger seat! Nice if you want to tether a rearfacing seat on the passenger side bench!

It also has LATCH in 4 positions in the van. I was very impressed since this van is 10 years old and I had heard a lot about what you are talking about--lack of top tethers.

:yeahthat: I LOVE my Windstar for all its tethers and LATCH positions...its going to be hard to replace it in that aspect when the time comes!

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
2007-present Odyssey has tethers in all back seating positions including the plus one. Also the seats belts fit me.

We went to the car show and was disappoints in seat belt fit and tethera in the Tahoe, Suburban and others.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC