Snugride 30 vs 35 vs Click Connect

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Ha ha, how's that for help! I think they should take a doll to the store, try buckling it in, and install in the vehicle and see what they think!

ADS

Alison's Mom

If it were ME I'd pick the lock-off, knowing I might need a rolled cloth in addition to the infant insert that has a 'filler' piece with it. Sometimes it's fine, sometimes not enough.

I've sent an inquiry about the KeyFit 30. Unfortunately it being in the Sears catalogue isn't necessarily a good indication of a seat coming soon...or at all, like the Graco Size4Me that appeared in last year's as an error. But, stranger things have happened and I hope we see it really soon! $269 is kind of pricey though.
Yeah, I'm thinking lock-off too. Yes, let me know about the KF30 when you find anything out. Thanks.

Will this seat be in between Turbos? If so, I'd pick a click connect (30 or 35, if you even have the 30, it really doesn't matter, same super narrow base for easier buckling of a Turbo next to it). Chicco is w.i.d.e at the foot/base where you are reaching to buckle boosters.
Anyway, that's just what I'd do, I had booster kids and infant seat baby at the same time, though different car and narrower boosters.
Funny you guys have the Brompton cover up there without being sold only as a travel system, I love that cover, loathe the massive stroller it comes with!
Actually, no. It's not me having another baby (yikes!). I'm asking on behalf of someone else having their first : )

And I'm the flip side, I'd want the extra crotch strap position. I can't stand adding rolled towels and washcloths to seats and hubby hates fiddling with that stuff too.

And I've never actually needed a RF lockoff. My rear facing seats have always been installed in a centre or outboard position that had lower anchors and with enough room to fit beside other seats. So I never had to worry about seat tipping with seatbelt/needing a lockoff.
Hmm, OK. I'm thinking there won't be anchors for the middle seat, and they may want it in the middle.

Totally. You never know what bothers you until you actually use it!
So true, right? And sometimes you don't know until you use it multiple times by which time it's too late and you just gotta live with it. . .

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Hmm, OK. I'm thinking there won't be anchors for the middle seat, and they may want it in the middle.

Wait, I remember now, I DID install my SR35 with seatbelt in the centre. We needed outboard passenger free and using centre anchors put the seat too far driver's side and I couldn't fit the Frontier beside it. So I used seatbelt which enabled me to have it closer to the passenger side.

So I can't remember if the SR35 lock off is required, I think so...anyway I used it and then once unlocked the belt after (didn't want anyone playing with belt now that it was easier access) this still made the seat tip slightly due to the lockoff being in the centre and not on either side to help hold the shoulder belt down. So no lockoff and just locking the belt would have been the same for me.

Not trying to talk you out of a lockoff, but unless they have an older vehicle with non locking belts, I personally wouldn't put it at the top of the priority list for the Graco seats anyway. If there was another seat with side lockoffs, I'd may prioritize it higher.

Alison's Mom

Wait, I remember now, I DID install my SR35 with seatbelt in the centre. We needed outboard passenger free and using centre anchors put the seat too far driver's side and I couldn't fit the Frontier beside it. So I used seatbelt which enabled me to have it closer to the passenger side.

So I can't remember if the SR35 lock off is required, I think so...anyway I used it and then once unlocked the belt after (didn't want anyone playing with belt now that it was easier access) this still made the seat tip slightly due to the lockoff being in the centre and not on either side to help hold the shoulder belt down. So no lockoff and just locking the belt would have been the same for me.

Not trying to talk you out of a lockoff, but unless they have an older vehicle with non locking belts, I personally wouldn't put it at the top of the priority list for the Graco seats anyway. If there was another seat with side lockoffs, I'd may prioritize it higher.
Thanks for the info. I was never worried about no lock offs before because it's rare the vehicle belts don't lock, but I've read a couple of threads saying that due to the structure of some seats incl SR30, even a locking vehicle seat belt will start getting loose over time so require a locking clip. Their vehicles will be newer, and will have locking belts, but because of this issue of some carseats not staying tight. . . .

OK, just checked LATCH manual. Borrowing of outboard lower UAS for centre not allowed.

Then it says factory installed TAs for MY 05-13 can be used for up to 65 pounds of restraint and child's weight????? This issue has been discussed, right? What is the consensus of what you do when the carseat is 20 pounds, and your child is 45 pounds but still in harness mode? Keep using the TA up to 65 pounds of child weight?

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
In Canada you have to legally use the top tether at all times.

As for seats loosening with a locked belt, really? I thought I read that the belt ratchets in more and can make it tip but I had not heard of seats loosening. I have had RF convertibles installed with seatbelts and never experienced that but I don't know how long it takes to see the issue.

I'm just not sure now I quite understand how a ratcheting seatbelt could UNratchet and make the seat loose. The seatbelt is not working properly if that happens. Unless the car seat could have been installed tighter to start with and baby's weight settles the seat in and the seat is then loose?

I need links to this issue if anyone has any. LOL

Alison's Mom

In Canada you have to legally use the top tether at all times.

As for seats loosening with a locked belt, really? I thought I read that the belt ratchets in more and can make it tip but I had not heard of seats loosening. I have had RF convertibles installed with seatbelts and never experienced that but I don't know how long it takes to see the issue.

I'm just not sure now I quite understand how a ratcheting seatbelt could UNratchet and make the seat loose. The seatbelt is not working properly if that happens. Unless the car seat could have been installed tighter to start with and baby's weight settles the seat in and the seat is then loose?

I need links to this issue if anyone has any. LOL
Yes, I know about the top tether requirement, however, going by the LATCH manual for Mitsubishi, it tells you that you can't use top tether past 65 pounds of combined weight. Not sure what it says in the vehicle manual, but I can check that when I see this mom.

Re seatbelt, I'm going to guess it's not the alternating locking belts that you pull out all the way, then it clicks and is locked (this is the type I have), but is the lap belts with the lock at the plate that can be locked or loosened depending on the angle.

nannykates

Yes, I know about the top tether requirement, however, going by the LATCH manual for Mitsubishi, it tells you that you can't use top tether past 65 pounds of combined weight. Not sure what it says in the vehicle manual, but I can check that when I see this mom.

Re seatbelt, I'm going to guess it's not the alternating locking belts that you pull out all the way, then it clicks and is locked (this is the type I have), but is the lap belts with the lock at the plate that can be locked or loosened depending on the angle.

Its actually that it ratchets too much and it pulls the corner up, because the shoulder belt tries to tighten into a straight line.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Yes, I know about the top tether requirement, however, going by the LATCH manual for Mitsubishi, it tells you that you can't use top tether past 65 pounds of combined weight.

That was my point, we don't exactly follow the math manual here for top tether stuff. For example, Honda Canada has been saying for at least 6 years that their anchors and top tethers can't be used past 40#, but we still use the top tether here.

We've had 65# seats in Canada for awhile now and there aren't any documented cases of it being a danger to continue using the top tether.

If someone wants to follow the LATCH manual (that the average person would never know about or have) then they will need to put their child in a booster at that point since we can't use a seat without a top tether forward facing.

Okay, this makes more sense to me! Silly me, I've never owned a vehicle with these types of belts so I forgot they existed. :p

Alison's Mom

Its actually that it ratchets too much and it pulls the corner up, because the shoulder belt tries to tighten into a straight line.
So you mean it is the shoulder belts that lock the way I mentioned before that have this problem? Thanks.

That was my point, we don't exactly follow the math manual here for top tether stuff. For example, Honda Canada has been saying for at least 6 years that their anchors and top tethers can't be used past 40#, but we still use the top tether here.

We've had 65# seats in Canada for awhile now and there aren't any documented cases of it being a danger to continue using the top tether.

If someone wants to follow the LATCH manual (that the average person would never know about or have) then they will need to put their child in a booster at that point since we can't use a seat without a top tether forward facing.

Okay, this makes more sense to me! Silly me, I've never owned a vehicle with these types of belts so I forgot they existed. :p
OK, so this is US vs Cdn info, then, because the LATCH manual is US. I'm fairly certain my Honda manual says to switch to seatbelt install at 40 pounds of kid weight, but to continue using the top tether, which is fine. I just thought Mitsubishi's vehicle manuals in Canada said to stop using Top Tether when child/seat weight reached 65 pounds.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
OK, so this is US vs Cdn info, then, because the LATCH manual is US. I'm fairly certain my Honda manual says to switch to seatbelt install at 40 pounds of kid weight, but to continue using the top tether, which is fine. I just thought Mitsubishi's vehicle manuals in Canada said to stop using Top Tether when child/seat weight reached 65 pounds.

Well I think the LATCH manual creators say it applies to Canada too technically. Pretty sure the only Canadian techs that know it exists or have one are those than hang out here though. ;)

As for vehicle manuals, not many specify anything at all. It's usually the car seat manual. But if her manual does say something, then she should follow it or move to a booster when the total is 65#. Which sucks as depending on the seat, a kid may be just 40# and oh heck, maybe not even age 4 which could be problematic...darn vehicle manufacturers are currently only thinking of the gong show ruling happening in the USA now so hopefully they realize our booster minimums are different as well as our top tether usage.

Alison's Mom

Yes, agree about most people not ever seeing it the latch manual. I just wasn't sure if it said the same thing about tether limit as Cdn vehicle manual.

Widget

I have 4 Snugrides of varying models sitting in my basement waiting for me to make a decision.
I've narrowed it down to the last two choices and need help:
SR30 LX Classic Connect (Sears -$134.99, saved $45) in Metropolis
SR35 Classic Connect (BRU - $139.99, saved $80) in Orbit
DOM is within 3 months of each other from late 2013

30 Pros: Fabric -velour- softer, hood quiet, hood has mesh for 'breathing', lighter, base smaller, 2 crotch positions
30 Cons: base adjustment only 3 positions, no belt lock-off, resale value lower because 'cheaper' price point seat and lesser lifespan on size of seat

35 Pros: Lower portion of infant insert, base variable height with adjuster dial, base belt lock-off, better 'deal' (Reg. $219, saved $80), resale value higher, wider seat at end of our lifespan
35 Cons: Noisy/crinkly hood, heavier, wider base, 'rougher' fabric, 1 crotch position (may need washcloth despite extra infant lower insert)

We have a SF Complete Air 65 waiting for baby at the end of summer, so this seat has a 7-month max lifespan in our home and then I plan to re-sell it.

We have a 2007 Saturn Relay van with Captain Chairs, so side-by-side install not a concern for everyday, but possibly in Grandma's cars/trucks.

Anyone have further thoughts on these two variable fabrics? Sweaty, hot baby is my biggest concern as we are in a semi-arid desert area and seat will be used in warmest weathers.

Is the 'LX' indicate better foam or something? I can't figure out the differences online or in person for padding, other than the infant inserts (the 35 has more features).

What would you choose, given they were basically the same price?

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Did you look under the cover? In the SR35's that are available in Canada, the LX has the Gracopedic foam under the butt and lower back area. The non LX versions just have foam in upper back area and the cover is directly on the seat.

I don't know if this applies to SR30 models as well. But it's something to check.

Widget

Yes, the SR30 LX has the extra foam under the back. Although it seems 'comfier' with it and the velour fabric, has anyone found it hotter?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC