SN stroller ideas?

Momof4Girls

My dd3 was diagnosed with mitochondrial disease in December. As such, she has issues with strength and endurance, gets tired easily, needs extra rest, and needs to keep specific supplies with her (associated symptoms with her overall mito dx). We currently have a Kolcraft Contours Options double that we absolutely ADORE. Our 3 littler kids all ride in it regularly. However, my issue is that my 4.5 y/o SN dd is outgrowing the stroller!

What I am looking for (and may try to get the ped to write a Rx for it, if it might help with costs) is this....

1.) A tall seatback. Dd3's seated height to the top of her head is 22"
2.) A canopy. Dd3's issues leave her with light sensitivity, causing headaches.
3.) A double would be nice, but not critical.
4.) Cost...the lower cost, the better (and if I can get an idea of what I'd like to have, I can try to find it used!)
5.) Weight capacity isn't critical, atm, as she's not even 30lbs.
6.) Oh, yeah, RECLINE! Being able to lie down can help her rest when we're out on a long day (for example, 4th of July festivities, or long shopping days, or amusement parks)...sleep is not unheard of for her in the stroller on particularly exhausting days.

So far, there's a Special Tomato one I've found that I like, but is there anything less $$$ than that? Anyone with personal experience? She has bad days and good days. On good days, she's in and out of the stroller, on her best days, not getting in very often (but often and for long enough to make it worth it). On her bad days, she doesn't get out of the stroller...on her worst days, she doesn't even sit up, just leans back (usually reclined at least slightly) with her thumb in her mouth.

ADS

desiree_leigh

Off the top of my head, you would do well with a Maclaren (ideally Quest or Techno, or a double, since they recline) or a Phil and Ted's (the main seat has a high seatback). Both recline, both are available as a double (though the double P&T may not work for you, since the bottom seat is small, lower weight limit and you lose the basket) both have baskets. The basket on the Macs isn't huge, but it's ok, and you could add on a Maclaren Organizer to add extra storage space. Cost can vary on both - Maclarens are common to find used, and "older" colors can be found on sale on tons of sites, as well as ebay. P&T I think are quite costly new, but again, commonly found used. HTH!

Last edited:

montanamama

Off the top of my head for a single look at the Joovy Kooper it has the largest sun shade I have ever seen and when I need to strap in my 5.5 y/o DS he still fits. It also has a deep recline.

ntrenary

I'd look at Baby jogger jogging strollers. The seats are really tall they don't recline, but there's enough of a recline that kids can sleep comfortably in them. They retail for $400, but you can find them on craigslist for around $50.

MySillyKids

I bought a baby jogger city elite when my DS outgrew the weight limit of the city mini single (50lbs vs. 75lbs of the elite)

But since she doesn't need a higher weight one, i'd look at the city mini double, or a single. they're awesome.

ErinGoBragh

I'm not sure if the seats are that different. We have and Elite and a Mini and they are comparable. The Micro has a little bit of a recline, while the Elite and Mini recline almost flat.

I would choose depending on what you would actually use the stroller for. The Elite has large rubber tires like a bike. It makes it super easy to travel over all terrain. It is excellent on gravel and grass. I've even pulled it through the sand at the beach.

The Mini has larger plastic tires. I can still push it over grass and gravel, but sometimes the wheels get stuck and you need to readjust.

The Micro has smaller wheels than the Mini and a smaller sunshade,although still pretty decent. It also does not recline all of the way.

Do you have a Buy Buy Baby nearby? They carry the Mini so you could check it out in person.

Momof4Girls

Thanks for the input....most of our use consists of parking lots, malls, the zoo, similar things like that...mostly pavement. However, we do travel through grass some, and gravel here and there. Some parks/playgrounds are more mulch...I'll have to ponder that one :)

We're getting a Buy Buy Baby here soon. I've seen a sign across from Whole Foods "Buy Buy Baby....coming soon!" I need to check and see when it will open...

I really appreciate your help!

my2kidsSafe

what are the ages of the other ones that you would want to use the stroller for? I agree with the previous poster who said a phil and teds. My dd who is 6 fits in it no problem.

Momof4Girls

My 3 "stroller kids" are these...

Dd3 (discussed at length...some days, the stroller would serve more as a wheelchair, ie, she doesn't get out of it and looks around at whatever while riding, so she'd get "seat preference" so to speak)

Dd4...3 (tomorrow!! OMGOsh!!), 36", 26.5lbs, 12" torso (no idea her seated height to the top of her head, but it's within an inch or 2 of dd3's)

DS....10mos on 7/8. He is SHORT, only 25.75", but all torso (he's got a 10" torso and head) and 18.5lbs.

We do some babywearing, but my bust size makes my back terrible...so if nobody will cooperate with a back carry, I can't do it, and dh isn't keen on babywearing...he'd rather carry than wear.

What is the deal with the second seat on the P&T? Do older kids (toddlers/preschoolers) actually enjoy riding in it, or do they tend to complain? How about reclining the front seat while someone is riding in the back? Do you lose ALL the basket space with that second seat?

Jennifer mom to my 7

Before going for a special needs stroller, I would see how much room she would have in the baby jogger city mini double. I think that would be your best bet for now, and would be the most "usable" as in fold, space it takes up in trunk, etc.

Now, come further down the road, and when your other kids may be out of strollers, but she may still need one, there are options, but I think they are really more stroller than you need right now, kwim?
http://www.adaptivemall.com/sptoeiopuch.html
http://www.dmart2000.com/macmajbugstr.html?productid=macmajbugstr&channelid=FROOG
The mac major doesn't seem to have enough sun canopy coverage for her.

But I think for now she will fit fine in a bjcmdouble, and then you don't have to worry about anything for a while. I would try her in one, and if you like it, stalk ebay and craigslist.

aja

we have a bumbleride queen b and it has a really tall seat and a great canopy. it works great for my tall 5 year old when he gets overwhelmed and needs his own space. it also has an add on toddler seat. it's pricey though and not very manueverable for a single stroller (though imo great compared to most doubles!)

Jennifer mom to my 7

But, it is huge when folded. Think pram :) I have a bertini steerable pram with the toddler seat. THe seats are similar in the 2 prams, actually, and just as tall. But, like I said, huge when folded.

_MG_4742_2.jpg

It is the one on the far right, with toddler seat attached but hood not attached. It just folds down, not together, if you know what I mean. I would have suggested a valco rad, but The hood coverage isn't great. I have been trying to work on a custom one, but am not good at pattern making. There is a momma on strollerswap though that has done them.

AtTheSouthDam

I always thought the Bumble rides looked like a Bertini :) Does it have the four wheel steering too? That makes a huge difference in maneuverability but it takes some practice to go in reverse. The hood on those are AWESOME for needing downtime. DD2 puts it all the way down all the time so all you see are her legs sticking out. Too bad you really need a minivan, with cargo space, or an SUV to transport the things. Mine stays in the garage for the most part. Also, DD2 has trouble getting in and out on her good days as I am not permitted to take the bumper bar off :rolleyes:

I would probably look for a nice baby boutique in the area that carries some of the upper end strollers and try them out. I am think like a Mac double or a nice jogger. Try a sports store even for those. Try them and see what may work best. I went through four different double strollers and was unhappy with all of them with how tall DD1 was at the time (DD1 was about 40" tall at the time with a 14" torso). I had ordered most online and lost quite a bit of money. We ended up baby wearing DD2 until DD1 was completely out of strollers.
How are you going to do all three? Is the middle one getting kicked out? Is there a possibility of all three needing to ride the same stroller? Or can you do a double and single at those all day events?

Jennifer mom to my 7

I always thought the Bumble rides looked like a Bertini :) Does it have the four wheel steering too? That makes a huge difference in maneuverability but it takes some practice to go in reverse. The hood on those are AWESOME for needing downtime. DD2 puts it all the way down all the time so all you see are her legs sticking out. Too bad you really need a minivan, with cargo space, or an SUV to transport the things. Mine stays in the garage for the most part. Also, DD2 has trouble getting in and out on her good days as I am not permitted to take the bumper bar off :rolleyes:

I would probably look for a nice baby boutique in the area that carries some of the upper end strollers and try them out. I am think like a Mac double or a nice jogger. Try a sports store even for those. Try them and see what may work best. I went through four different double strollers and was unhappy with all of them with how tall DD1 was at the time (DD1 was about 40" tall at the time with a 14" torso). I had ordered most online and lost quite a bit of money. We ended up baby wearing DD2 until DD1 was completely out of strollers.
How are you going to do all three? Is the middle one getting kicked out? Is there a possibility of all three needing to ride the same stroller? Or can you do a double and single at those all day events?

I think the queen B just has front wheel steering, not the fab 4 wheel of the bertini:love: See, when you were looking for doubles, you needed this

IMG_2144_4.jpg

The little one in the back was 2.75 years old, and about a 15.5 inch torso or so, probably close to 40 inches.

Here are the 2 boys last year.

IMG_7275_4.jpg

Momof4Girls

Space is not really a concern for us, in and out of the vehicle...we drive a 2006 Sprinter as the vehicle we take to any events/shopping/etc we do, and with "only" 5 kids, we have plenty of space for a good-sized stroller.

We had a double jogger, years ago, when dd2 was born. It was a baby trend, a royal PITA to collapse (for someone with short arms and ridiculously small hands!), and the front wheel didn't turn at all. It currently lives at MIL's...has only been used maybe a half dozen times in almost 6 years?

As far as the side-by-sides are concerned...what are the more narrow ones, more like wheelchair width or at least compatible with standard doorways? That was a big concern we had with SBS doubles.

It will be very, very rare that all 3 will truly need a ride, and it won't happen with me by myself (that I can't convince dd4 to ride in a MT on my back or something like that for a break). I saw the boards that attach to a stroller a while back (I guess about 2 years, now, when we bought our current double!) and thought that those looked very interesting. FWIW, as a "triple" stroller, I did not like the Joovy Big Caboose when I tried it...found it difficult and unwieldy :(

We do not have a boutique-y place for baby things in this area, at least not now. Waiting on a BBB to open. Our USABaby went out of business I think at the end of the year....that was as close as it got.

I've been debating the purchase of a single SN stroller (knock it out now, get the most use out of it, avoid spending $$$$ on multiple strollers, etc) vs a SN double vs a "regular" double or a "regular" but bigger single. Anyone have any thoughts one way or the other on those options?

It is unlikely that dd3 will outgrow the need for a break from her feet, ever (the nature of her dx). It is possible that she will, ultimately, be in a wheelchair full-time, but based on her current condition, it's not super likely. She will likely in the next year or 2 outgrow napping in the stroller, but not needing the rest (if that makes sense). Dd4 seldom NEEDS to ride, she just wants to (LOL). While he's not walking, ds needs to ride when with me. For short, in and out trips, my double (Kolcraft Contours options) or a shopping cart is fine, at the moment. On her best days, I can go grocery shopping and not need anything for dd3 :)

ETA: Jennifer, your boys are DARLING!!! I love sleeping sib pics :D

desiree_leigh

The Mountain Buggy Urban Double fits through a standard doorway (so if a wheelchair fits a MBUD should) and I'm pretty sure the Valco SBS double is the same. I'm not up to date on a lot of the newest latest greatest strollers but I thought I'd throw out those two names. I had a MBUD and loved it BUT it doesn't have a ton of headroom - most bigger kids have their head crammed into the canopy, unless they've fixed that since my 2005 model.

Wiggles

Weighing in as a former special needs nanny, I have to ask--how often does one parent or the other go out with all three 'stroller kids' alone? The reason I ask is because it may be more cost efficient over the longterm to buy a (relatively) inexpensive double stroller for the 3yo and the 10mo (possibly second hand) and buy a SN stroller for the older daughter. You MAY be able to find an SN stroller for your older child second hand if you look around--contact the Shriners and other similar organizations and see if they might have a listing or know who to contact in your area about such things. Support groups for parents of SN kids might know, too. SN kids outgrow SN items or their needs exceed SN strollers on occasion, so there may be SN strollers around. I just don't know who you'd contact in the US. The Shriners likely know, though, if anyone would. The nice thing is that your daughter doesn't need hip bolsters and knee spreaders and all kinds of things like that, so SN strollers won't be as expensive as they could be.

Jennifer mom to my 7

Most of the doubles on the market now are about 29 inches wide, so will fit through the standard doorway/whereever a wheelchair needs to be. I do think that the babyjogger city mini double would be great for you now, and then you could sell it to fund a more SN stroller or wheelchair later.

THanks for the comment on the boys:love: I tried to get a pic of them side by side in this stroller this weekend, because they almost sit as tall as eachother, the younger one is soo long torsoed, but the little guy wouldn't let me.

You've got some cool strollers. What are they? I only recognize a couple.

ANd they are only the doubles/triple:eek:

From left to right: ABC twin everest with reclining toddler seat, bob revolution duallie, Stroll-air spider duo NV, emmaljunga twin cerox 360, and a bertini bidwell steerable pram with added toddler seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC