Sleeping car seat pictures

theconstantreader

He is the same exact age as my son, they have the same birthday & everything :) & I can't imagine DS being FF that early. :( Is the marathon the 33lb or the 35 lb RF limit? & is there another seat you could put him in RF?

I'm not sure, I'll have to check and see.

We don't have the money to buy new seats. Child support, bills, medical expenses for two of the kids and myself add up by the end of the month. Three of our children were in a car accident this past Sunday while they were riding with their father. He was going 65 and hit a concrete barrier and then spun around into a ditch. They're all fine except for a cut on our 4 year olds lip.

ADS

lovemy2kidstw

theconstantreader said:
I'm not sure, I'll have to check and see.

We don't have the money to buy new seats. Child support, bills, medical expenses for two of the kids and myself add up by the end of the month. Three of our children were in a car accident this past Sunday while they were riding with their father. He was going 65 and hit a concrete barrier and then spun around into a ditch. They're all fine except for a cut on our 4 year olds lip.

Glad they are ok! I understand being broke, just wanted to throw some suggestions out there :) remember the kids seats that were in the accident need to be replaced.

hrice

theconstantreader said:
Yes, I've seen the video and know he could still be refacing. He goes in and out of the casts (goes back this coming Monday to the doctor) and when he's in them it pushes the casts up so they push on his hips and puts strain on his ankles now that his legs are longer. It worked okay when he was an infant, but not anymore. And when he's not in them he hates being faced towards the seat. Screams the whole time.

Did your physician say that it puts strain on his ankles and to turn him? Honestly ankle strain vs broken neck...I think I'd go for strained ankles.

I'm glad your children are ok after the crash. You are lucky. That us not to say that if you were to crash again tomorrow that your 1 year olds head wouldn't be violently whipped forward and back cussing the spinal cord to stretch or even tear.

There have many many parents with children in leg casts that had rear facing children. It is doable.

theconstantreader

Did your physician say that it puts strain on his ankles and to turn him? Honestly ankle strain vs broken neck...I think I'd go for strained ankles.

I'm glad your children are ok after the crash. You are lucky. That us not to say that if you were to crash again tomorrow that your 1 year olds head wouldn't be violently whipped forward and back cussing the spinal cord to stretch or even tear.

There have many many parents with children in leg casts that had rear facing children. It is doable.

While I appreciate your opinion, I get preached at enough from Shanna, although she is generally not rude. I posted the pictures because it was her thread and I had some cute pictures that included our children. I realize that was a mistake.

Yes, his doctor (a pediatric orthopedic surgeon) said the lesions on his ankles and at the top of his legs were caused by the casts rubbing those places when he kicked his legs against the back of the seat and for sitting that way for long periods of time every day. I'm sure there are plenty of children with the same condition as my son that ride RF, but Archie isn't one of them.

Brianna

I'm sorry if you take anything here as being rude. Please know that anything said about turning your LO back RF is because we all have such a passion for child passenger safety, and most of us can't stand to think of what could happen if we didn't try to get everybody under 2 RF.

theconstantreader

I'm sorry if you take anything here as being rude. Please know that anything said about turning your LO back RF is because we all have such a passion for child passenger safety, and most of us can't stand to think of what could happen if we didn't try to get everybody under 2 RF.

While I understand having a passion for something, she honestly doesn't know anything about my child, the surgery he's had, or the fact that it's not "ankle strain", it's the difference between him ever being able to walk and have feet that work. I understand the pieces of paper you ladies posses makes you more informed than me. All I did was give birth to him and endure weeks in and out of hospitals with him and dealing with doctors (who also have pieces of paper, btw). I did what I thought was best for him. I do apologize for not being up to your standards of safety. I guess that's why I never posted a picture before and wont here again.

Brianna

While I understand having a passion for something, she honestly doesn't know anything about my child, the surgery he's had, or the fact that it's not "ankle strain", it's the difference between him ever being able to walk and have feet that work. I understand the pieces of paper you ladies posses makes you more informed than me. All I did was give birth to him and endure weeks in and out of hospitals with him and dealing with doctors (who also have pieces of paper, btw). I did what I thought was best for him. I do apologize for not being up to your standards of safety. I guess that's why I never posted a picture before and wont here again.

Our goal is never to drive people away. We don't know your son's medical history, and that's why we ask questions. FWIW, I don't even have a special piece of paper that proves what I know- I've just been here for a while and have picked up on a lot. A lot of people- regulars here and people that just stop in for questions- are able to rear face their young children in casts. Hrice was asking questions to see if that's a possibility for your LO- if we don't ask questions we won't know if it's possible or not. I do hope you stick around :)

theconstantreader

I understand about carseat safety. Shanna (glockchick) is my husbands ex wife. We talk daily, multiple times. She has offered to help with the carseats, installing them, helping me pick them out, etc. With Archie it's different.

I generally don't ask questions because I can always ask Shanna. Again, it's the only reason I posted on this thread in the first place. Because she started it and our children were in one of the pictures.

I don't mind people asking questions, it's the pressing of the matter when I have chosen what I feel is best for him overall.

glockchick

What's the name of the condition Archie has with his legs? I can't remember. All I know is that the little guy has had multiple(?) surgeries, been in and out of casts, and has to wear a brace between his feet at night. And he's an adorable baby with the cutest smile. ;)

Maybe there's someone here who has the same thing that you can talk to who has btdt and understands what you go through with him. :)

And yes, I do bug Sarah about car seats. Usually about once a week or so I'll make a comment about RFing Archie or putting CJ and Doe back in a harness. ;) She never takes me up on it and I have to respect her and my ex's decision even if it's not what I would choose. They are their kids, and he gets to make the decisions like that when they are in his custody just like I do when they are in mine. They are using the seats within the limits and using them properly.

Would I like to see the little guy backwards and the 4 year olds harnessed? You bet. But as with everyone else, it is our job as CPSTs to educate and then let the parents make the final decision.

It's hard sometimes. At the seat check on Saturday I had to FF a 30 lb 17 month old because his mother wouldn't consider RFing. I told her the benefits and she still chose not to. So I taught her how to install his FFing seat and use it properly. At the end of the day, that's all we can do. The parents are the ones that will ultimately have to live with those decisions if, god forbid, something were to happen. I also put plenty of 4 year olds in boosters because they were over 40 lbs. That was the rule of the day. Over 4 and 40 goes in a booster. We simply didn't have enough hwh seats to keep them harnessed.

Of course I'll still keep working on Sarah about our kids..... That's my job as a good CPST. ;) I figure if I can get her hooked on the fun seats I'll be in business. I need a partner in crime. :ROTFLMAO:

Last edited:

theconstantreader

What's the name of the condition Archie has with his legs? I can't remember. All I know is that the little guy has had multiple(?) surgeries, been in and out of casts, and has to wear a brace between his feet at night. And he's an adorable baby with the cutest smile. ;)

Maybe there's someone here who has the same thing that you can talk to who has btdt and understands what you go through with him. :)

And yes, I do bug Sarah about car seats. Usually about once a week or so I'll make a comment about RFing Archie or putting CJ and Doe back in a harness. ;) She never takes me up on it and I have to respect her and my ex's decision even if it's not what I would choose. They are their kids, and he gets to make the decisions like that when they are in his custody just like I do when they are in mine. They are the ones that will ultimately have to live with those decisions if, god forbid, something were to happen. They are using the seats within the limits and using them properly (once I let her know about moving Archie's straps up.)

Would I like to see the little guy backwards and the 4 year olds harnessed? You bet. But as with everyone else, it is our job as CPSTs to educate and then let the parent make the final decision.

It's hard sometimes. At the seat check on Saturday I had to FF a 30 lb 17 month old because his mother wouldn't consider RFing. I told her the benefits and she still chose not to. So I taught her how to install his FFing seat and use it properly. At the end of the day, that's all we can do. I also put plenty of 4 year olds in boosters because they were over 40 lbs. That was the rule of the day. Over 4 and 40 goes in a booster. We simply didn't have enough hwh seats to keep them harnessed.

Of course I'll still keep working on Sarah about our kids..... That's my job as a good CPST. ;) I figure if I can get her hooked on the fun seats I'll be in business. I need a partner in crime. :ROTFLMAO:

He has Bilateral Clubbed Feet and Acute Asthma. The asthma has nothing to do with how his seat faces, but it's why he was in the hospital for two weeks in 2011. He's had one surgery (had the Achilles tendons cut on both feet and hopefully won't have to have more) and 11 sets of casts. We're taking him back to Houston on Monday and the doctor will tell us if we need another set now or if we can come back in three months for another check.

As for the older kids, you know that's not my decision to make alone.

Speaking of decisions, we all have to live with the ones we make, don't we? :duck:

lourdes

glockchick said:

And yes, I do bug Sarah about car seats. Usually about once a week or so I'll make a comment about RFing Archie or putting CJ and Doe back in a harness. ;) She never takes me up on it and I have to respect her and my ex's decision even if it's not what I would choose. They are their kids, and he gets to make the decisions like that when they are in his custody just like I do when they are in mine. They are the ones that will ultimately have to live with those decisions if, god forbid, something were to happen. They are using the seats within the limits and using them properly (once I let her know about moving Archie's straps up.)

Would I like to see the little guy backwards and the 4 year olds harnessed? You bet. But as with everyone else, it is our job as CPSTs to educate and then let the parent make the final decision.

It's hard sometimes. At the seat check on Saturday I had to FF a 30 lb 17 month old because his mother wouldn't consider RFing. I told her the benefits and she still chose not to. So I taught her how to install his FFing seat and use it properly. At the end of the day, that's all we can do. I also put plenty of 4 year olds in boosters because they were over 40 lbs. That was the rule of the day. Over 4 and 40 goes in a booster. We simply didn't have enough hwh seats to keep them harnessed.

I think that all this got I little out of hand, but on a different note, I think is super great that you two can get along so well, it is so great for all of those kids that all the adults can get along in harmony, I am sure that you can get a different say ones or more but all and all you look like your are doing the best effort for the kids!

glockchick

I wasn't trying to be judgmental or pick a fight and if that's how it came across, I'm sorry. I like Sarah. I'm glad that if the kids have to have a step mom, she is it. She really loves them like her own and treats them them same as her kids. I couldn't ask for more!

I swear. I'm a freaking straight A college student and I still can't get the point I'm trying to make to come across clearly in type the majority of the time. :(

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
You know, some of my favorite posters have had the most dramatic board debuts when they first got here. It's almost becoming par for the course. ;) (Seriously though, welcome!)

On a serious note, though, I think I can speak for all of us in saying that we approach a new poster with unknown history differently than we approach someone who we know has already been preached to. I came to this board knowing nothing -- thinking that if a backless booster said "from 1 year and 30lbs" that my 35lb 3 year old was just fine in it. Many of the parents we have come to this board are only familiar with what they are told by society and the media, which unfortunately is far from the best we could be doing for our kids. So, as technicians and advocates, we are facing years of perpetuated poor advice and myths that is in direct contradiction to protecting our kids from the thing that's most likely to kill them. Sometimes we have to use strong words to make our points clear, and I think that's where hrice's words came from. I think if we'd realized you'd already been provided with the information, we would have taken a different tack.

Unfortunately on a message board, tone gets lost and that hinders us all. It also robs us of the option to have a two-way conversation, whereas if you encoutered one of us at a seat check, you could have explained about your son's medical history where the normal adage of "feet touching the seat doesn't matter" -- which we oft repeat due to years of pediatricians insisting kids must be turned once their feet touch the seat, despite the fact that broken legs are more likely forward-facing than rear-facing -- is inaccurate, due to Archie's extraordinary circumstances. But without that instant back-and-forth of an in-person conversation, it is easier to have a pile-on without all of the facts.

If you're interested in trying to work around the situation, there may be solutions that offer the best of both worlds -- protecting your toddler's neck and spine AND offering him additional leg room. For example, if you could move him to one of the captain's chairs, you could recline the chair a bit and give him more leg room. Without being there in person, of course, it's impossible to know whether or not it would do the trick, but it may be a viable option. If you can afford a Scenera or Tribute (around $50,) you could put one of the littles you currently have in the captain's chair into the Marathon, give their highback booster to one of the biggie in the third row, and get more room yet.

Only you know your situation and what will work for you. We, here, are invested in trying to make sure your kids ride as safely as possible. Thankfully they were okay in last week's wreck. The litmus test I use is that if, God forbid something happens to my kids, I want to know I gave them the absolute best chance I could. If you feel like you are doing the best you can by your kids, in your family's circumstance (finance, logistics, etc,) then let it be. They are better than 90% of the families out there by being non-expired, properly installed, properly fitted seats. But we would also be remiss to not point out to you -- on a board dedicated to car seat safety -- the areas in which you could make your kids safer yet. I promise no one's intention is to attack you and make you feel like "bad Mom." We are all here to help protect kids -- our kids, your kids, ALL kids -- from the most dangerous thing they do. That's our collective goal, and I do apologize if sometime we go a bit overboard in it. :)

theconstantreader

Carrie_R said:
You know, some of my favorite posters have had the most dramatic board debuts when they first got here. It's almost becoming par for the course. ;) (Seriously though, welcome!)

On a serious note, though, I think I can speak for all of us in saying that we approach a new poster with unknown history differently than we approach someone who we know has already been preached to. I came to this board knowing nothing -- thinking that if a backless booster said "from 1 year and 30lbs" that my 35lb 3 year old was just fine in it. Many of the parents we have come to this board are only familiar with what they are told by society and the media, which unfortunately is far from the best we could be doing for our kids. So, as technicians and advocates, we are facing years of perpetuated poor advice and myths that is in direct contradiction to protecting our kids from the thing that's most likely to kill them. Sometimes we have to use strong words to make our points clear, and I think that's where hrice's words came from. I think if we'd realized you'd already been provided with the information, we would have taken a different tack.

Unfortunately on a message board, tone gets lost and that hinders us all. It also robs us of the option to have a two-way conversation, whereas if you encoutered one of us at a seat check, you could have explained about your son's medical history where the normal adage of "feet touching the seat doesn't matter" -- which we oft repeat due to years of pediatricians insisting kids must be turned once their feet touch the seat, despite the fact that broken legs are more likely forward-facing than rear-facing -- is inaccurate, due to Archie's extraordinary circumstances. But without that instant back-and-forth of an in-person conversation, it is easier to have a pile-on without all of the facts.

If you're interested in trying to work around the situation, there may be solutions that offer the best of both worlds -- protecting your toddler's neck and spine AND offering him additional leg room. For example, if you could move him to one of the captain's chairs, you could recline the chair a bit and give him more leg room. Without being there in person, of course, it's impossible to know whether or not it would do the trick, but it may be a viable option. If you can afford a Scenera or Tribute (around $50,) you could put one of the littles you currently have in the captain's chair into the Marathon, give their highback booster to one of the biggie in the third row, and get more room yet.

Only you know your situation and what will work for you. We, here, are invested in trying to make sure your kids ride as safely as possible. Thankfully they were okay in last week's wreck. The litmus test I use is that if, God forbid something happens to my kids, I want to know I gave them the absolute best chance I could. If you feel like you are doing the best you can by your kids, in your family's circumstance (finance, logistics, etc,) then let it be. They are better than 90% of the families out there by being non-expired, properly installed, properly fitted seats. But we would also be remiss to not point out to you -- on a board dedicated to car seat safety -- the areas in which you could make your kids safer yet. I promise no one's intention is to attack you and make you feel like "bad Mom." We are all here to help protect kids -- our kids, your kids, ALL kids -- from the most dangerous thing they do. That's our collective goal, and I do apologize if sometime we go a bit overboard in it. :)

I understand the goal is to keep kids safe. I also understand that online and in messages it's hard to tell tone.

I am slightly sensitive about Archie due to the fact that I get a lot of pointing and questions when he has to wear the casts. People literally come up to me in the store and ask "what I did to him" or "what happened to your baby". I find it extremely rude and insensitive. Not really to Archie, because he doesn't get it, he's not offended, but the other kids can sense when someone is staring or pointing and they know why. It bothers me that "well meaning" people don't think before they speak.

And yes, for the most part we get along. Even a stopped clock is right twice a day!! (oh that was a good one)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC