Question SK Monterey for long seatbelt stalk - is belt too far in the guide?

NHmom

I have a Dodge Magnum, that has very long seatbelt stalks. I'm trying to determine if the Sunshine Kids Monterey is OK to use in this car. Below are a couple pictures of where the seatbelt buckle rests on the belt guide. The manual specifically says "If the buckle is being pulled across the lower beld guide and into the seat, choose another seating position within the vehicle." The buckle is not "into the seat" but does lie at a slight angle on the belt guide. I'm not sure this is safe in the event of a crash. (Note, there is no child seated in the booster in these pictures.)

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc412/nconco/Monterey-sideviewbuckle.jpg

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc412/nconco/Monterey-bucklefrontview.jpg

Thanks!

ADS

laurengt

I had this issue with my radian. I twisted the stalk a few times to shorten it and it fits great now. I suppose this is a side effect of the SK/Diono low profile.

Brianna

I had this issue with my radian. I twisted the stalk a few times to shorten it and it fits great now. I suppose this is a side effect of the SK/Diono low profile.

3 full 360 degree twists is acceptable to install a harnessed car seat. It is not permitted to twist the buckle stalk for a booster.

OP- it looks like your buckle stalks are too long. Is it possible to move to another position?

Jessica61624

Brianna said:
3 full 360 degree twists is acceptable to install a harnessed car seat. It is not permitted to twist the buckle stalk for a booster.

OP- it looks like your buckle stalks are too long. Is it possible to move to another position?

This isn't 100% true. Britax allows the belt stalk to be twisted.

Op I'd give diono a call and see what they say. I'd also try moving the seat towards the door(assuming its outboard).

Brianna

This isn't 100% true. Britax allows the belt stalk to be twisted.

Op I'd give diono a call and see what they say. I'd also try moving the seat towards the door(assuming its outboard).

I hadn't heard that before, this is what is says in the Parkway manual
consult your vehicle owner’s manual to see if you can lower the vehicle buckle position by twisting the vehicle buckle stalk.

OP- if you do call Diono to see if you can twist the buckle stalk, let us know their response

NHmom

I can't move to another position, as there's only room for 2 seats and both my kids, ages 5 & 7 need boosters. Both positions are outboard. (No room in the middle).

Also, moving towards the door doesn't help, as it's already pretty much to the edge of the seat.

I was also under the impression that we could not twist the stalk in a booster. Even if we could, this is quite a task to do each and every time they're buckled.

I have an email into Diono, but not response yet.

PS - Currently both kids are in Clek Oobrs in this car as that seat can be in recline mode, which positions the belt guide far enough forward for the buckle to rest along the side of the seat. My 7 year old likes the Oobr, but my 5 year old doesn't at all. He complains every time that he's "too huge" for it. His legs are so long, and that seat has terrible leg support. The SK Montereys are from my other car (VW Passat), and both kids LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the comfort/fit of that seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC