Size4Me vs Radian Pics

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
Someone in another group asked for these, it's easier to post here and I figured someone here might like to see too, so here's some Size4Me vs Radian pics:

Vehicle is a 1998 Honda CRV, Sam is 4 years old, 34 pounds, 40" and I can't remember torso height - small torso though.

s4me004.jpg

S4M installed at lowest headrest position

s4me002.jpg

Behind driver's seat. I'm 5'6", so my seat is somewhere around halfway. This is in the normal seating position. My 6'1" husband can also drive in this position as well.

s4me001.jpg

It's pretty upright per the level indicator, btw.

s4me007.jpg

This is the 5th headrest position, when it started to hit the headrest. The higher you raise the headrest, the more front to back space it takes.

s4me008.jpg

In the top headrest position

s4me013.jpg

Sam's growing room to the top position

s4me015.jpg

And with the headrest adjusted properly (straps are just below his shoulders, 5th position up)

s4me016.jpg

s4me018.jpg

Leg room

s4me049.jpg

This is one thing I don't like - for RF the buckle has to be on the inside position. The crotch strap is not very long nor is it adjustable. It sits down pretty low, combined with the fact that the buckle is already a little difficult to operate - it's annoying to buckle. And I'm still hating the harness adjuster, it's very difficult to get the last inch or two of slack out.

Some measurements, I know some of these have been posted before, sorry for duplicates I just didn't want to leave anything out for the people who were specifically asking.

s4me021.jpg

I measured from this point...

s4me022.jpg

Straight across to the vehicle seatback

s4me023.jpg

Width across the widest part of the seat

s4me024.jpg

Height to the red headrest adjuster

s4me025.jpg

Highest harness position

s4me026.jpg

Base is 15" side to side, and 17" front to back.

Radian pics in the next post, I'm out of pictures.

ADS

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
s4me033.jpg

Now here's my SKPJ Radian 65 with angle adjuster

s4me032.jpg

Left the driver's seat in the exact same position as the S4M photos. Clearly it takes up more room, it's pretty jammed into the headrest.

s4me035.jpg

Height room

s4me039.jpg

Leg room (oh, and just to note the straps are not properly adjusted for RF, the last time I used it was FF and I didn't move them purely for the photo op. :) )

s4me041.jpg

And from here to vehicle seat back:

s4me042.jpg

Hope those are helpful!

Last edited:

CrunchyGymama

Ok so this is Christina from the other site. So based on this, we likely will have our 2004 hyundai elantra (then we'll likely be getting an odyssey) for a bit longer, we have an ETA 65 for DD1 now, which seat the ETA 65/Radian RXT or S4M do you think would fit BEST behind the drivers ALLOWING the seat to be back as far as possible

TIA!

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
Ok so this is Christina from the other site. So based on this, we likely will have our 2004 hyundai elantra (then we'll likely be getting an odyssey) for a bit longer, we have an ETA 65 for DD1 now, which seat the ETA 65/Radian RXT or S4M do you think would fit BEST behind the drivers ALLOWING the seat to be back as far as possible

TIA!

I would get the S4M and put your DD2 in it - I think it's going to take up less room than your EFTA, especially with the headrest in the lower positions.

CrunchyGymama

I would get the S4M and put your DD2 in it - I think it's going to take up less room than your EFTA, especially with the headrest in the lower positions.
then they could switch if need be when DD1 outgrows it! Good idea, maybe I'll un install both and see how the EFTA fits there, I've been meaning to but I just don't want to uninstall/re-install both ha!

Mugsmom

I'm curious about something...

How do you all feel about seats like this one where the taller rear facing child's head is above the shell and mainly being protected by just the headrest? Is it a concern that in an impact, the driver's seat could slam into ONLY the headrest portion and not the seat, essentially slamming the child's head forward?

I ask because I REALLY want this seat for my tall ERF'er.

arly1983

I think a size4me just *MIGHT*work in my 3-across! It just might work. *SQUEE*

Thanks so much for the pics!

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
I think a size4me just *MIGHT*work in my 3-across! It just might work. *SQUEE*

Thanks so much for the pics!

I didn't take a picture of it, but FWIW I tried them together and they did not get along at all. I also had a Frontier in the car that I didn't want to uninstall so I wasn't working with a ton of space to begin with, but they definitely didn't want to puzzle together RF or FF.

arly1983

I didn't take a picture of it, but FWIW I tried them together and they did not get along at all. I also had a Frontier in the car that I didn't want to uninstall so I wasn't working with a ton of space to begin with, but they definitely didn't want to puzzle together RF or FF.

LOL, I am actually trying to puzzle it between two boosters. I needed something on a base and the base to be close to the same width as the roundabout 50 at 14.5 inches. I haven't been able to find a picture of the bottom of the base and a measurement up until now. :D

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
LOL, I am actually trying to puzzle it between two boosters. I needed something on a base and the base to be close to the same width as the roundabout 50 at 14.5 inches. I haven't been able to find a picture of the bottom of the base and a measurement up until now. :D

Oh yay - it may work well for that then!!

embassykh

How do you all feel about seats like this one where the taller rear facing child's head is above the shell and mainly being protected by just the headrest? Is it a concern that in an impact, the driver's seat could slam into ONLY the headrest portion and not the seat, essentially slamming the child's head forward?

:yeahthatlove:

4boysmom

remind me how wide is a radian? I sparkly heart the idea of the seat but we too are working with a (PITA!!!!) 3 across.

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor

:yeahthatlove:

I feel like the manufacturer specifically allows the headrest in that position for rear facing, so they've taken that into account and sufficiently reinforced / EPS foamed the headrest so that my kiddo is safe. And really, by following best practice, I honestly don't stress that much in general about which seat my kid is properly using. :)

remind me how wide is a radian? I sparkly heart the idea of the seat but we too are working with a (PITA!!!!) 3 across.

Uh, 16-17", I think?

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I *think* the Radian is 17" at its widest point (the back) and 14" across the seat/base area.

I hate the crotch thing on the S4M, too. It's not been so bad with Z2 & Z3 (3.5 and small) but it was downright awful with Z1 (4.5yo, but thin.) I have three issues with the seat, one is the 40" rule (now defunct, yay!) two is the crotch setting and three is... um, I forget. Oh, the buckle, I really do prefer the old Graco one.

mlohry

I bought this seat from a member on here and really like it. With regards to the head rest not being reinforced RF, this is a beefy headrest, it does not flex or bend. I had an MA 70 before this seat, and that headrest easily wiggles around, the S4M is totally different. However these seats are so similar with the way they feel in other aspects. It fits in our captains chairs almost identical. It installs RF in a minute. I really love this seat and DD is perfectly content RF at 3,6 years old in it :)

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
I *think* the Radian is 17" at its widest point (the back) and 14" across the seat/base area.

I hate the crotch thing on the S4M, too. It's not been so bad with Z2 & Z3 (3.5 and small) but it was downright awful with Z1 (4.5yo, but thin.) I have three issues with the seat, one is the 40" rule (now defunct, yay!) two is the crotch setting and three is... um, I forget. Oh, the buckle, I really do prefer the old Graco one.

How is your harness adjuster? That's the one thing that may be a deal breaker for me. I'm only using it sporadically for Sam right now, but I bought it with the intent to use it full time for #2 once we're done with the Keyfit and it's really frustrating me how difficult it is to tighten.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
We rarely loosen/tighten, so it hasn't been too frustrating. I definitely employ the one hand pushing down on the splitter plate, one hand pulling up on the harness adjuster method, though. I will try to pay attention when I load the Zs up in a bit and see how it is - since I've used the seat quite a bit since I got it, it should be an indicator of how/if it's loosened up.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC