Should I switch out Britax for Next Fit?

Hazelandlucy

Just because I like to think of worst case scenarios.... after all my research I ended up with Cleks and Britaxes. Totally bought into the React and Safecell and rebound bars and EPP foam and marketing! Then the Evenflo Sureride gets the best crash rating of all the seats! $80! Plastic! Anyway, my mother does have a Next Fit in her car, which got a Best rating . It never gets used. Is it totally crazy to switch out the Britax G4 that is FF in my husband's( basic rating) for the Next Fit. Because this is what goes through my mind....62 lb dummy pulls through the harness FF at 35 mph. Does that mean a 40 lb kid will do the same in a 40/45 MPH crash? Is it better to have a bigger safety margin since I have both seats at my disposal?

ADS

jjordan

Are you referring to the Consumer Reports ratings? I think that the best/better/basic designations included factors other than just crash test performance. Also without knowing exactly what sort of crash tests were done and the results specifically, I personally would be hesitant to make major changes based on the limited info that is available. Using a seat correctly, no matter its CR rating, is HUGE in helping your kids stay safe. Make sure you're doing your part, and then relax. :)

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Are you referring to the Consumer Reports ratings? I think that the best/better/basic designations included factors other than just crash test performance. Also without knowing exactly what sort of crash tests were done and the results specifically, I personally would be hesitant to make major changes based on the limited info that is available. Using a seat correctly, no matter its CR rating, is HUGE in helping your kids stay safe. Make sure you're doing your part, and then relax. :)

My understanding is that the basic/better/best designations refer only to the overall crash test performance. The numerical scores are what incorporate other factors such as ease of installation and vehicle fit.

I agree, though, that I wouldn't make major changes based only on the CR article. I think he Nextfit is a great seat, but if you overall prefer the Britax, then it is fine to stick with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hazelandlucy

They actually have rating just for the crash part as well. The Evenflo performed the best of the best! But the Next Fit also got a best pure crash rating vs the Britax G4 basic.

http://carseatblog.com/36420/the-sa...on-ratings-and-methods-from-consumer-reports/

That's the list just for crash protection (seats like the Marathon Clicktight ended up with a best overall rating, but got a better on the crash portion)

http://www.consumerreports.org/convertible-car-seats/5-top-rated-convertible-car-seats

That is where it mentions the Evenflo being the top performer. Those top 5 seats are the combined "best" with fit and ease of using factoring in.

http://carseatblog.com/36495/the-cp...-the-new-consumer-reports-crash-test-ratings/

That link tells what happened to each of the basic rated seats.

Last edited:

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
In my opinion, keep using what you have and be confident that your kids are very well protected.
Consumer Reports only tested convertibles in one type of forward-facing crash. No side impacts or crashes where rebound is an issue (where a Britax or Clek with anti-rebound bar may excel) were tested at all.

There's only one seat tested by Consumer Reports that I would not use forward-facing at all for my own child due to repeated failures with the 3-year old, 35 lb. dummy.

As for the G4 convertibles, perfectly fine to use rear-facing and also front-facing for almost all kids until they are ready to use a booster. I'd have no problems using one forward-facing for a 40 pound child or even somewhat beyond that.

http://carseatblog.com/36495/the-cp...-the-new-consumer-reports-crash-test-ratings/

Hazelandlucy

So it would be totally nuts to switch out the Britax for the Nextfit in my husband's car even though I have both seats? Does the Nextfit offer better thigh support for a forward facing kid?

Is there ever going to be a test that measures neck loads? I do like things like safe cell and react - do they help with neck loads?

Did the convertibles hit the front seat and protect the head well so no major injuries or did they rotate so little that no contact was made at all?

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
So it would be totally nuts to switch out the Britax for the Nextfit in my husband's car even though I have both seats? Does the Nextfit offer better thigh support for a forward facing kid?

I don't think it's totally nuts if it would make you feel more comfortable, but I don't think it's necessary.

If you are *looking* for a reason to switch to the nextfit, I do think it would probably offer more thigh support -- it has a deeper seat pan.

But I think the most important thing is that everyone can use their seat correctly. If Grandma and Dad are used to the seats they have and might struggle adjusting to something new, I guess I'd leave them where they are.

Hazelandlucy

I don't think it's totally nuts if it would make you feel more comfortable, but I don't think it's necessary.

If you are *looking* for a reason to switch to the nextfit, I do think it would probably offer more thigh support -- it has a deeper seat pan.

But I think the most important thing is that everyone can use their seat correctly. If Grandma and Dad are used to the seats they have and might struggle adjusting to something new, I guess I'd leave them where they are.

I do wonder if the Safe Cell and Versa Tether make a difference in the neck loads enough to not worry about the harness pulling through with a 37 lb kid! I know the Britax passed fine at that weight, although I would so, so love to see all the HIC on the seats!. But again it makes me wonder if the margin of safety is greater in the Next Fit at higher speeds than 35 MPH when 37 lbs becomes a greater force and maybe more like the 62 lbs it failed at (are they even survivable?)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC