shopping for Suv/Minivan- 3 kids- need room behind 3rd row for city select stroller

meglohai

Alright y'all.

I've been trying to figure out what kind of vehicle I want for 2 months and I'm still having a hard time deciding, so help me out!

I have 3 boys, 6, 3, and 2 months. ODS in backless booster, another in the harmony defender, and a 2 month old in the Mico AP infant seat. I had a Ford Edge and loved it, but 3 across in there was incredibly cramped, and even the cargo space felt limited. I have 2 playing sports already, so with the City Select double stroller in the back all the time, and the soccer bag, groceries etc. it just wasn't cutting it. I'm now driving our VW Jetta that is paid off, since we sold the Edge 2 months ago...as you can imagine, that feels even more cramped!

Here's where I'm at:

I had a Honda Odyssey before the Edge when I only had the 2 boys, and loved the convenience of it, but didn't LOVE it. I didn't know what that feeling was until I drove my Edge. :) I know the obvious choice for a mom with 3 boys is a minivan, but I've been trying hard to consider other options. I haven't completely ruled it out however.

DH is pushing hard for the Yukon XL, I also like the Expedition EL if I'm going for HUGE. But I'm wondering if I really need all of that space? We're looking at spending about $25k-30k. I am starting to think maybe I could get a slightly smaller SUV and deal with the lack of cargo space, since in a couple of years it will probably be an umbrella stroller in the back, but also don't want to make my life miserable during the 2 hardest years (lack of sleep, etc). Any advice or input would be great because I'm horribly indecisive. I've had a van, but never a large SUV, so I'm afraid I won't know what I don't like about it until I have one and live with those things.

ADS

MommyShannon

I'd get a 2011 or newer Odyssey. The new models will let you easily have all 3 in the 2nd row so you can fold down the 3rd row when needed or put it up to haul more kids.

zactayaus

I just got a Chevy Traverse. I'm really liking it. It's set up like a minivan with captains chairs in the 2nd row and 3 seats in the 3rd row, but is definitely an SUV. I went from a Chevy Suburban that I had for almost 11 years. There is a huge difference in the way they drive. Large SUV's drive like a truck. You really have to think about parking when ever you go to park any where (just because you can get into a spot doesn't necessarily mean you'll be able to get back out;)). Other then parking and how much it cost to fill up with gas I :love::love::love: my Suburban and it worked great for our family when all 4 kids where little. Now that I've got one out of the house and another about to turn 16 and getting ready for her own set of wheels, that just leaves me driving around the little boys. No more need for something so big and gas hungry.:(

tl01

I have had medium/big SUVs and with two kids and a stroller I way prefer my 2013 odyssey. I considered a huge SUV again but it just doesn't work out as well. I would go test drive the current ody and it might surprise you:).

CMeMeC

I have an older gmc suv and 3 kids. It is not ideal, but doable. I don't like the small cargo area or lack of top tethers in the 3rd row. We have looked at different suvs and vans and I would probably go with odyssey. Top tether locations and cargo space are important to me and I hate captains chairs, so that rules out a lot of nice vehicles. My big stroller has since been replaced with sports equipment and other kid stuff, so keep that in mind. And get used to lack of sleep, it doesn't get easier.

meglohai

Thank you for your suggestions! I've decided to just go ahead with the Odyssey. It is the wisest option for our family, and the pros are just too good to beat! I'll get an SUV when all of my kids are out of car seats maybe, but for now, the mom-mobile will be my ride! :)

tl01

Congrats! If you're buying a new Honda, the Honda Care extended warranty can be purchased through online authorized dealers for a huge cost savings. We purchased a Honda Care extended warranty 8yr/120k for $1300. It was a $1500 savings over the lowest point our dealer was willing to offer.

Hyannis Honda Care:

http://hyannishondacare.com

Saccucci Honda (another authorized dealer):

http://www.saccuccihondacare.com

Yes! As long as you don't live in Florida you can buy from these dealers! We did and we saved a ton! On my first ody there was confusion that you couldn't buy if you are from CAlifornia. At that time I did negotiate a dealer in Cali down to almost the same cost... But it wasn't easy.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC