Sharing a car seat (3 yo & 5 yo)

AZmamaof2

I’m looking for suggestions for a car seat that can be shared between two children that is easy to adjust (front adjust harness) and about $200 or less. Younger child RF in main seat, but can FF for infrequent use in this shared seat.

5.5 yo: 46” and 47# currently main seat is FN 85
3.0 yo: 36” and 27# currently main seat is BLVD 65

Thanks!

ADS
By front adjust harness I assume you mean no-rethread? With your price point in mind I would look at the Graco Argos. The Britax Pioneer is no-rethread but a bit more costly.

ETA: Do you think the 5.5 year old would be mature enough to use a booster seat in this vehicle? (I.e sit still and properly each and every ride, as well as knowing when the seat belt is correctly positioned on his/her body). You could get a booster seat for the 5.5 year old and an Evenflo Maestro, Evenflo SecureKid, Graco Nautilus, Harmony Defender360 or Evenflo SureRide for the 3 year old as a harnessed seat. This would cost you about $150. Maybe less, depending on sales. (The SureRide can be found for $80, and a high back Graco TurboBooster for the 5.5 year old is about $40)

AZmamaof2

Yes, I am looking for a no-rethread harness. Something like the Argos would be good. Any other ones in the $100-$150 range that would be compatible?

The reason I’m not looking at a separate booster is that this will be for my husband and will only transport 2 out of 3 children. The car will not fit 3 across, so I want a flexible seat that he can adjust easily for short errands with either child.

MommyShannon

What is the 5 year olds' torso height? That could limit your options. My DD outgrew the nautilus which is an 18.5" harness when she was 48" tall. Some kids outgrow it later, but it might be a concern depending on his torso. The Harmony Defender is a no rethread. I'm not sure if it's easy while installed or not. It has 18" top slots.

AZmamaof2

He’s 16.5” bottom to slightly above shoulder. Just measured him.

Which brings me to another, but related question....I was hoping to use my Complete Air for both children, but the CA says upper height of 45”. He’s about 45.5”, but I just fit him in the seat and his shoulders are under the highest harness height and his head fits well within the headwings. Stated harness ht is 17”. It may not have lasted another 6 ms, but why the steadfast 45” rule?

AZmamaof2

I do have a BLVD that my 3yo uses as her main seat, but I think my 5.5yo would be too close to the roof. I’d have to switch it to FF to see where his head is at.

I wouldn’t buy a new one though, because it costs more than a Nautilus or Pioneer, and he would outgrow very soon because the harness states 17” and his seated shoulder ht is 16.5”

AZmamaof2

I’ve looked up stats for over a dozen seats.

The ones I found that have 18” or 18.5” harnesses are the Graco Nautilus and Argos, and the Britax Pioneer.

The ones I found that have 17.5” harnesses are Graco Size4me, First Years True Fit, and Evenflo Triumph LX.

Any I’ve missed?

Does the Evenflo Symphony LX have that high of slots? Or the Complete Air 65 or 70 car seats? My current Complete Air 50 has 17” harness slots.

aeormsby

I’ve looked up stats for over a dozen seats.

The ones I found that have 18” or 18.5” harnesses are the Graco Nautilus and Argos, and the Britax Pioneer.

The ones I found that have 17.5” harnesses are Graco Size4me, First Years True Fit, and Evenflo Triumph LX.

Any I’ve missed?

Does the Evenflo Symphony LX have that high of slots? Or the Complete Air 65 or 70 car seats? My current Complete Air 50 has 17” harness slots.

The Evenflo Maestro (50lb limit) and Securekid (65lb limit) both have harness heights around 18-18.5". And the Evenflo Sureride (convertible) I believe has a harness height of 19".

AZmamaof2

I like the Sureride, especially for the high harness height. And I tried a Securekid once, but it was very narrow for his shoulders.

Biggest downside of all 3 is none have an adjustable harness that can be moved from the front. It won’t be a seat that we want to remove to adjust each time.

1mommy

I like the Sureride, especially for the high harness height. And I tried a Securekid once, but it was very narrow for his shoulders. Biggest downside of all 3 is none have an adjustable harness that can be moved from the front. It won’t be a seat that we want to remove to adjust each time.

Well for FF as long as the straps are tight the straps can be above the shoulders, so why not leave it right above the older child's shoulders?

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Measured seated from ground to shoulder

5.5yo is 16.5”
3.0yo is 12.5”

Can you do the straps that much higher safely?

Safely, yes, but that far above the shoulders isn't going to be very comfortable at all.

You said he takes 2 out of 3 kids. Would it be easier to share between different kids?

AZmamaof2

The 3.0 yo will share a rf complete air with a baby. And I think the 3 and 5 yo will share a pioneer. That way he can seat either combo of kids. That seems like the best plan I can devise.

Pixels

For sharing between kids, I LOVE my MA70.

Based on the stats OP has given, it will not fit the five year old.

Well for FF as long as the straps are tight the straps can be above the shoulders, so why not leave it right above the older child's shoulders?

True for some seats but not all.

I was going to suggest the Defender or True Fit. You will need to try your child in the seats as measurements don't always reflect how children actually fit.

AZmamaof2

I was going to suggest the Defender or True Fit. You will need to try your child in the seats as measurements don't always reflect how children actually fit.

It’s a moot point regarding the complete air...... but if he measures 45.5” and the limit states 45” FF height, yet he still fits under the highest harness and surrounded by headrest, does that mean I could still use it, or should discontinue using it? He must have slightly less torso height than the company took as the average for children 45” tall.

Lemonade

It’s a moot point regarding the complete air...... but if he measures 45.5” and the limit states 45” FF height, yet he still fits under the highest harness and surrounded by headrest, does that mean I could still use it, or should discontinue using it? He must have slightly less torso height than the company took as the average for children 45” tall.

I didn't know there was a stated height limit on the complete air 65. My tiny 8 yr old only recently grew out of it by shoulder height. It was a great shared seat. I can't tell you to go against what the manufacture says but, um, I would be comfortable using it if the child's shoulders were below the top position.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlmatthews

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC