Setup opinions: talk me into or out of new seats!

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
My current MomBoss has a friend who needs child care this summer, and suggested that I might be willing to watch the friend's kids in addition to her own. We are currently talking start dates, so of course I want to make sure I have all of my carseat ducks in a row!

The kids are same-initialied (M&M and Z, Z, and Z) so I'm just going to call them kids 1-5, lol.

Vehicle: Honda Pilot, three seats in both second and third row, l-s belts, non-interfering adjustable headrests and tethers in all positions. Lower anchors outboard second row only.

Kid 1: 9, thin and average-tall height, rides in a Monterey. See no reason to change that.
Kid 2: 5, tall (43") but skinny (37lb.) Height is in her legs and she has a couple of inches above her head in a Radian. Torso is appx 16" I think.
Kid 3: 4, petite. Not sure on exact height but I'd imagine he'd fit in a Radian or similar RF, or any seat I wanted FF.
Kids 4 & 5: 3yo twins, also petite. Sure they'll fit in MRs RF.

Seats: Monterey, Frontier (orig,) ProSport, Radian, MyRide. I also have backless boosters & Turbos, and a Maestro, Scenera, and RA50 (girly cover) that I picked up cheap as giveaway seats, but I could use them.

My initial plan was to put the twins outboard in the 3rd row, RF in the MR and Radian and load them through the hatch, and then put the 4 & 5yos outboard in the second row in my combo seats with the 9yo in the center. Putting the 3yos back there makes it easy to load them, too.

But as things get closer I'm getting more wiggy about FFing them (I am from the RF 'til college school,) since they are both so petite and I have concerns about 5yo's ossification (she has CF, which includes malabsorbtion of nutrients and lower bone density than her same-aged counterparts.) I don't think I want to RF the 5yo and FF the 4yo, I would rather do all of the littles RF or 2 & 2.

I am not opposed to getting a new seat or two, especially if it's a less-expensive one, but I'm wondering if I can manage to RF them without it. MA covers fit on the RAs, right? If I put the MR and RA (with new cover) RF in the 3rd row for the 3yos and then the RN and maybe Scenera - or a new seat? CA? -- RF in the second row for the 5 & 4yos. But it IS an excuse to buy new seats... ;)

(Urgh, I wish the CA didn't have the 40" height rule, I would totally get a Flutter CA for M! Just got excited about that possibility and then remembered the height limit. :( )

It would be easier to load the 9yo if someone is FF. Or, I could do three RFers across the third row, and leave one of the second row seats open. Hmm.

Three cookies for you if you read through this jumbled mess! I'm just looking for someone to bounce thoughts off of and nobody IRL cares. Any thoughts are appreciated!

ADS

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC