Securing a heavy booster?

ortner.liz

I have a Diono Radian, my son is 73 lbs, 54 inches (9.5 years old). He technically still fits in it as a harness, but I'm debating switching him to booster mode just to get him used to booster. If I use it as a booster, can I use the latch connectors to secure it to the seat, so i don't have to worry about it launching when he's not in it and I'm driving around? I know I could just fasten the seatbelt around it but lets be real, he's 9, he is not going to remember to re-do the buckle every time he gets out of the seat, and often someone might be in a hurry to go somewhere and won't necessarily remember that that kid isn't riding with us, his booster is loose back there, we should buckle it before we go. (i.e. my husband or my teen drivers!) Anyway, just wondering if it is acceptable to use the latch connectors in that manner.

And a related question - is there less head-extrusion for an older child in a seat belt vs. a harness? I guess I'm asking which would be safer for this particular child, assuming harness is properly done and seat belt is properly done, which would be safer in the event of an accident?

ADS

ortner.liz

Well I just went and checked how he fits in the seat, and he definitely has outgrown it, lol. Kicking myself for not checking on him sooner, but his shoulders are definitely higher than the last harness slot.

High back booster it is. :)

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Diono is unusual in that some of their manuals allow use of the harness even when the child's shoulders are above the top harness slots. Even so, I think a booster is probably the right choice given the information you provided. A backless booster is also a good option, provided the vehicle has adequate head restraint. At that age and height, it's likely a booster is still needed for proper fit, but some kids that age may even have good belt fit without a booster, depending on the vehicle.

Yes, there are some all-in-one and combination harness/booster that allow LATCH use. It's necessarily a safety benefit in booster mode, but as you mention, it can be handy for when it's not in use or during loading/unloading to prevent tipping. Some boosters, both high back, backless and models that convert from high back to backless also have lower LATCH attachments for this purpose. Check the manual or product info on models you are considering to make sure.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC