Seats for airplane travel

U

Unregistered

Hi,
I've browsed the forum and see similar questions/answers -- but some of those posts seem older and info may have changed so please bear with me.

We'll be taking 6-hour plane trip with 3 kids, then spending a week or so in a rental on the other side:

1) Age 6 1/2, weighs 52lbs, I don't remember her height. She sits in a high-back turbo-booster at home. OK to put her in a low-back for the trip? (Rental car on the other side only -- I know not to put her in a booster on the plane).

2) Age 4, 42lbs, also don't know height. He sits in Nautilus at home, but I don't want to bring a seat that heavy. Grandma needs a new seat for him anyway so I'm thinking about getting a Maestro for the trip and giving it to Grandma after that. I read the Maestro reviews and am aware of its limitations as a booster -- but it seems like a great deal for a lightweight HWH. Agree? Anything else I should consider?

3) Age 11mo, 24lbs, 30-ish in. We only have a 22-lb infant seat, so he's in a Roundabout at home. I'd rather not bring that on the plane (want to be as lightweight as possible). So I'm looking for an inexpensive lightweight convertible (doesn't need a high weight limit). We have a ComfortSport nearing expiration (but not there yet)...so that is an option but I hate that seat. Since we'll be replacing it soon anyway I might replace it now and have something I like for the trip. But what? I don't want to deal with the pool noodle or rolled up towel. And older posts always said the Scenera is a good bargain seat, usually under $50. But it seems more expensive now -- is that because they upgraded the seat and raised the RF weight limit? Is there anything below $80 these days?

Also -- talk to me about RF vs FF on the plane for my little guy.

Thanks in advance!!

ADS

cmcki737

First off awesome job on doing your home work! You appear to have a pretty good plan laid out already with the seats you have chosen as far as the younger 2 and as long as the oldest has a proper fit in a LBB he should be fine. Putting the youngest RF'ing on the plane will more comfy for them and easier for you to interact with them.

cantabdad

For your youngest one, the Roundabout that you're using might not be a bad choice. We just came back from a trip using our Roundabout and it was very easy to install on the aircraft and again in the taxi. It's not the lightest seat in the world, but we didn't have any trouble getting through the airport with it. (Then again, we only had 2 kids with us, not 3, and at our airport here in Boston it is really not very far from the curb to the check-in desks and security line.)

Even if another seat might be lighter, it seems like it's cheaper to pay a porter/skycap $5-10 to haul your stuff around at the airport than to buy a new seat just for the trip -- unless you're planning on traveling a lot or the Roundabout needs replacing anyway.

Regarding RF vs. FF on the plane, I think you will find RF to be just as easy (if not easier) to install and that it works better for the child -- for example, when he drops a toy, it goes right back in his lap rather than onto the floor. RF intuitively seems a little safer, too, though I haven't seen any real data on that.

Brianna

I don't know what your plan is for getting through the airport, but the Roundabout might not be so bad with a traveling toddler. One of our members here used the traveling toddler with her Marathon, http://www.car-seat.org/showpost.php?p=217021&postcount=5

You may only install your seat rear facing for the 11 month old, he does not meet any seats's minimum for forward facing, there are no plane exceptions. This blog may help you if you happen to be on a flight where the flight attendants aren't clear on the rules http://carseatblog.com/8037/guest-blog-flying-with-a-car-seat-know-your-rights/

If you do want a travel seat, Scenera or Evenflo Tribute would be my choices. Unless you're good at installing either seat just by wedging it in, you'll need a noodle/rolled towel with either of them.

bubbaray

I would do a LBB for #1, Maestro for #2, and ComfortSport for the baby. As much as I hate the CS, it makes a decent travel seat

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC