Question Seatbelts with independent retractors?

Jillybeans5

The kind where the belt is sewn to the buckle. Are these ever okay to use? I'm pretty sure the answer is no for harnessed seats, but what about boosters. Are there any boosters that allow it. We have a late 90's model single cab Chevy pickup and it has this type of seatbelt. Occasionally one of my kids needs to ride in it so I was wondering if there is a safe way to do so.

ADS

Jessica61624

It's ok to use as long as the lap belt locks on its own. Another option is a belt shortening clip but you'd need to find a experienced tech or instructor to teach you how to use it.

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I was just thinking about this yesterday as I read a new Marathon G3 manual. It (and upon checking, the G2 version as well) prohibits use with that type of belt. It doesn't give any exceptions for the lap belt locking independently which is what I would have thought, or a BSC if the lap belt doesn't lock.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I think most/all of them forbid it, but I have been told by a couple of company reps that's because they don't want to put information on how to use a BSC in the manual- if parents have a need to use that type of belt they want them to seek out a tech who will help them with that.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I think most/all of them forbid it, but I have been told by a couple of company reps that's because they don't want to put information on how to use a BSC in the manual- if parents have a need to use that type of belt they want them to seek out a tech who will help them with that.

Yeah. For Britax specifically, when I asked this question (I've had several Chevys with this kind of belt) I was told that the "consult your vehicle manual for carseat installation instructions " blurb is in there to cover these rare situations.

Jillybeans5

So if I need one of my booster riders to ride in the truck do I need a belt shortening clip? If so where can I find a tech from here in my area?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
No no, the BSC is for harnessed car seats.

I think that type of belt is probably ok with boosters? I don't seem to recall seeing that prohibition in the manuals of boosters I've read lately, only against lap belts, door mounted belts, automatic belts.

MUTigers

Jillybeans5 said:
The kind where the belt is sewn to the buckle. Are these ever okay to use? I'm pretty sure the answer is no for harnessed seats, but what about boosters. Are there any boosters that allow it. We have a late 90's model single cab Chevy pickup and it has this type of seatbelt. Occasionally one of my kids needs to ride in it so I was wondering if there is a safe way to do so.

Can someone please explain to me what kind of seatbelt you are talking about? I tried to good it but didn't come up with anything.

OP, sorry to hijack, I'm just curious what you're talking about!

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I think that type of belt is probably ok with boosters? I don't seem to recall seeing that prohibition in the manuals of boosters I've read lately, only against lap belts, door mounted belts, automatic belts.

I have four booster manuals handy: the Britax Parkway and the Harmony Youth Booster (Literider) prohibit that type of belt; the Clek Oobr and the Graco Turbobooster don't mention it at all so by that I would say they allow it.

Can someone please explain to me what kind of seatbelt you are talking about? I tried to good it but didn't come up with anything.

It will look like the picture in this post and has a separate retractor for each belt. Sometimes the lap portion will be a switchable ELR/ALR belt so if you pull it all the way out it will engage the lock. Older ones might be an ALR? Or possibly they're just ELR, I'm really not sure: http://www.car-seat.org/showpost.php?p=942506&postcount=5

MUTigers

Pixelated said:
It will look like the picture in this post and has a separate retractor for each belt. Sometimes the lap portion will be a switchable ELR/ALR belt so if you pull it all the way out it will engage the lock. Older ones might be an ALR? Or possibly they're just ELR, I'm really not sure: http://www.car-seat.org/showpost.php?p=942506&postcount=5

Thank you! I remember those from cars when I was little, and maybe even my first car... An '89 Olds 88. It was a boat but it served its purpose!

Thanks again!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC