Question Seatbelt working?

momof3reading

I have a 2004 Chrysler Town and Country. I was putting a new booster seat on the seat behind the passenger, a captains seat, and reviewing with my six year old how to properly buckle himself in when I became worried that the seat belt is not working properly.
1. It did not lock when I pulled it out all the way
2. I did not feel like the belt tightened on my son
3. It did not lock when I pushed the brakes

How can I tell if it is working correctly? I tried finding an answer online but nothing useful was coming up.

Thank you

ADS

kelkel2090

CPST Instructor
Your seat belt will not lock when pulled all the way out because you have a locking latch plate. You will notice that once you buckle your son, if you try to pull up on his lap belt it won't move. That's the latch plate kicking in.

You have to trust that your belts will lock. I have noticed that it's very hard to activate the emergency lock on the Chrysler/Dodge vans.

tiggercat

If you grasp the shoulder belt near the retractor and give it is quick yank, you may be able to engage the emergency locking retractor. I can in my Caravan, though it is hard to do sometimes. The belt will lock up in a crash when the occupant moves forward quickly.

Edited, when you say it does not tighten on your son, do you mean that it doesn't get super tight on him, or do you mean that there is slack in the belt (I.e the shoulder belt doesn't retract, or slide back into the retractor)?

What kind of booster are you using? Some model year caravans and t&cs have forward leaning headrests that can interfere with booster sitting flush against the vehicle seat.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC