Seat next to My Ride?

griffinej5

Hi,
One of my nieces will be moving up shortly from FL. Currently, my other niece, 2 years, 7 months, rides rear facing in my moms 06 Scion XB in a My Ride. She is on the shorter side, and very light (definitely under 30lbs, not exactly sure of weight, maybe 28 at most). She's taller in the torso, outgrowing her 2T tops in length, obviously not because of weight. She's in the 3rd slot on the My Ride, not close to needing to move up any time soon. So, I expect she could make another year rear facing in that.
My other niece is moving up with my other sister next month. She will be 1 month when she moves. They'll be driving up from FL in my 06 equinox. The seat they have for her is an Evenflo Titan they got through some sort of program that gave them out at low cost. Hopefully the Titan fits my car and she will ride up in that. I can't imagine it's a good fit though as she is about 6.5 lbs and 19 inches. When she gets here, provided it fits, she will ride in the Titan in a Volvo S70. I've had the My Ride and I think a Triumph in the Volvo side by side, and room for someone beside them, so I would guess Titan+ My Ride RF would work.
I tested out a baby trend flex loc at BRU next to the My Ride, and that will fit. I had seen that the flex loc was narrow. I was thinking that the baby could go into the flex loc, 2 year old stays where she is, and when the baby out grows the bucket, she can have the My Ride, and we can get a harnessed booster at that time. We got the My Ride maybe when she was 6 months old or so. I'd have to check it. So, I then thought the My Ride would expire before the baby would outgrow it rear facing depending upon how big she is. Maybe it would be better to get a convertible? What's narrow and might fit side by side to leave the other seat open?
A Scenera is out. The 2 year old has one in my sister's car, and we took it once. My mom hated it. Anything suggested should be available in stores. If the Titan is not a good fit in the equinox, they will need to buy it in a store. They have BRU, Target, Walmart, all nearby. It should fit the Equinox, and the Scion XB (toaster style body) next to a My Ride. Fitting the XB together is most important. I can test anything suggested in the XB and tell them what to buy. Next to each other in the Equinox is of low likelihood, as I'd switch with my mom most times and not move seats.
Or, just get the flex loc?

ADS

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
The baby might actually fit in the Titan well. It generally fits newborns decently well.

Unless you truly have no other choice, I would not buy a Flex Loc. It is narrow, but that's pretty much the only thing the Flex Loc has going for it. Baby Trend requires the giant handle be down in the car, and it also has a challenging buckle.

Could you swing a Diono Radian? It could be used by either niece right now, then by the older niece when she is ready to forward-face. That shoudl get her to safe boostering age.

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I would also recommend skipping the Flex Loc due to the handle rule.

What is your budget? I can try and make suggestions that are within your budget. I don't know what seats will puzzle with the MyRide off the top of my head. Do the seats have to be next to one another?

The one seat I will recommend that you try is the Evenflo Sureride. You can try it in your car next to a MyRide at BRU. It's around $85 and has a tall harness that will last until a good boostering age as well.

http://www.target.com/p/evenflo-sur...sku=14419201&gclid=CLOmqb-XhrkCFYOe4AodUH4A3A

griffinej5

Good to know about the flex loc. I didn't put the handle down, so it may not work actually. Is there another narrow infant seat I should try?
If they don't need to get it there, we can maybe order a radian. If they need to get it there, it appears no nearby store carries the radian where they are. There are stores near me in pa that have it, so I could test it. What convertibles that we could get in a store should I test?
It would be preferable if they can go next to each other.

griffinej5

Aside from potentially the trip from FL to PA, we could probably switch the two girls if we get pink and tell the 2 year old its a new princess seat. My mom is going to fly down for 2 weeks, then come back and drive down to get them. She was confused as to why I was testing this, so I'll wait till she goes down and test stuff in her car.
I'm not quite sure what my mom would be willing to do budget wise. I bought the bucket for the 2 year old, which my sister didn't keep thinking it would expire before using again. I think I spent about $125, so I'd be willing to do the same for the new baby. My mom would probably be willing to contribute $50 or so I think. I'd be willing to spend more on a convertible she will use for years than an infant bucket. We don't anticipate any babies in the family in time to pass a bucket down, but if that's what they really want I will get it.

griffinej5

Supposing both would fit, what's the difference between the click connect and the classic connect, other than the 5 lb weight difference? Dad is 6'5", my sister is 5'7", so we can expect her to be tall, and outgrow by height before weight. We have a seat she could go to, so if she won't get that much extra time, the its not worth it to spend what appears to be $50 extra. She should fit either I assume till at least 1 year, which would make the older one 3.5, and I'd be okay to turn her at that point (in my mom's car, I make the decisions on that. My sister and BIL do have her rear facing in their cars, and I believe plan to till at least 3, but what they do has no bearing on what I do).

griffinej5

I was actually thinking like this one
http://www.target.com/p/graco-snugride-click-connect-35-infant-car-seat-grapeade/-/A-14282465?intc=8675309_hl14282465_null&lnk=other_plp_hl_tl_x1y3
Vs. this
http://www.target.com/p/graco-snugride-classic-connect-30-infant-car-seat-forecaster/-/A-13932457?intc=8675309_hl13932457_null&lnk=other_plp_hl_tl_x1y4

I wouldn't bother with a 22lb limit anyway. It wouldn't be worthwhile if she might outgrow it before winter is over. Apparently, the older one is only 26 lbs, so if she's not tiny, the baby may just outweigh her before long.

griffinej5

There is probably no chance I'd get another graco convertible next to the My Ride, right? Like don't waste my time trying cause it ain't happening, correct? If its at all worth a shot, we've liked the one, so it would be worth my time to play with it.

griffinej5

I did end up picking up a flex loc. It was clearanced at target for $25, and $10 for another base. That plus the 5% off cause I got the red card debit yesterday, I figured it was worth grabbing.

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I did end up picking up a flex loc. It was clearanced at target for $25, and $10 for another base. That plus the 5% off cause I got the red card debit yesterday, I figured it was worth grabbing.

For that price, it was definitely worth trying!!

griffinej5

Everyone using it is informed that the handle must go down. If I catch them messing up, I'll post signs on the backs of the seats in front of it to remind people of this. My mom wouldn't put this past me because I have disturbed a sleeping baby with a belly clip (and my mom has never again done a belly clip that I have witnessed). Maybe I'll just put a little label from my label maker on the handle just in case.
I did a quick check of it, and didn't tighten it because I really just did this a few minutes ago at like, 11:45. With the My Ride passenger side, and the flex loc in the middle, it should fit with the handle down, and the driver's side rear seat, you can access the seat belt buckle. I'm not saying I would take a road trip sitting next to it, but someone should be able to sit there.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pcarter

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC