Seat for a 2 yr old and 2005 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS Spyder Convertible 2D

akratz

I am considering to buy a 2005 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS Spyder Convertible 2D, however I wonder if it is even feasible to safely install a car seat for our child in this car? She is two years old, 9.5 kg. So far, she has been sitting in a rear-facing car seat, the type with a base, installed on the back seat bench of course. The 2005 Mitsubishi Eclipse is a very attractive car but I have no idea if it is even feasible to use it with a rear-facing toddler seat? Also I am unsure what will come after the rearfacing toddler seat, front-facing rear seat I guess? If anyone has experience specifically with the Mitsubishi Eclipse, would be happy to hear it, thanks!

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I am considering to buy a 2005 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS Spyder Convertible 2D, however I wonder if it is even feasible to safely install a car seat for our child in this car? She is two years old, 9.5 kg. So far, she has been sitting in a rear-facing car seat, the type with a base, installed on the back seat bench of course. The 2005 Mitsubishi Eclipse is a very attractive car but I have no idea if it is even feasible to use it with a rear-facing toddler seat? Also I am unsure what will come after the rearfacing toddler seat, front-facing rear seat I guess? If anyone has experience specifically with the Mitsubishi Eclipse, would be happy to hear it, thanks!
Welcome!

Generally, after a rear-facing only infant seat with base, most parents purchase a convertible or all-in-one model that is used rear-facing until outgrown in this mode, then forward-facing with harness, then as a booster seat (for all-in-one models).

I can't say specifically to this vehicle, but rear-facing seats tend to be difficult to use in compact, 2-door vehicles. It will be a minor hassle every trip to buckle and unbuckle from the front, plus it may significantly reduce the legroom for the person in front of it.

Since she is 2 years old and over 20 pounds, she can technically be forward-facing in a harness. This will be a little easier to manage in a 2-door from a practical point of view, but rear-facing is generally considered to be safer. This would mean a "Combination" harness/booster seat, such as a Graco Nautilus, Chicco MyFit or Britax Grow With You.

We have some recommendations here: https://carseatblog.com/safest-recommended-car-seats/

aporthole

This vehicle doesn’t have any top tether anchors. Convertibles are exempt from being required to have them. Are you in the US? Listing her weight in kg makes me think you might be outside the US.

If you already owned this vehicle and it was the only option available for transporting her in, I’m sure there would be options that could possibly work, but honestly, since this is just something you are considering, I would heavily encourage you to forgo this vehicle for transporting children in. It isn’t going to be practical or optimal.

aporthole

Also, almost all 2 year olds will have outgrown most infant seats with a stay-in-car base. Do you know how tall she is and specifically what seat she’s currently using? We’d be more than happy to make suggestions for seats that would work for her now if her current one is outgrown. What is your current vehicle?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HessMom

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Maxi Cosi is a proud sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2020 Carseat Media LLC