Question seat compatibility

thrisha

Ok DH is looking at getting us a new car. Tips on what might work and what to most likely will not. We currently have a 2002 explorer. Needs to fit minimum of 3 seats. Would like something that will fit more, not sure if we are done. SUV or van, would like something that can tow our camper. Had to have the vents in the ceiling and 4 wheel drive. Our current seats are Radian 80, Radian xt, nautilis, and a turbo booster. Thanks for the help.

ADS

jjordan

Well, you generally get more for your money (in terms of cargo space, person space, and fuel economy) with a minivan compared to an SUV. However, 4 wheel drive on a new minivan limits you to a Toyota Sienna. (If you're looking used, then there are a few more options - I think Chevy Uplander and Astro both came in AWD versions, for instance.) I don't know a lot about crossovers, but a 6-7 passenger crossover might be a good option for you.

YinzerMama

The old Sienna also came in an AWD variety. But not 4wd.

Not sure what the vents in the ceiling are for?

Old Sienna AWD only came in 7 passenger. And had runsflat tires, which had some issues. 7 passenger will work very well for 3-4 kids though... or even 5.

You could get a towing prep package for the siennas. I think up to 2007 they came with a tranmission cooler standard and then after that you had to get the towing package, not sure about that.

thrisha

Thanks please keep the suggestions coming
The vents in the ceiling meaning the heat vents. Currently the airflow in the back sucks. I am in WY so need something that can handle the weather. Also we like to go camping in the mountains. New or used is fine.

MommyShannon

DH wants to get a Honda Pilot someday. I'm not sure if it has everything you want, but I think it does. We love our Ody but it doesn't have 4WD. We have to have vents in back too or my girls get carsick in the summer especially.

YinzerMama

All right I thought the vents were connected with the 4wd or towing. :) Ody has vents in the ceiling. Sienna also has vents in the ceiling. I would think anything remotely modern would as far as minvans but don't hold me to that statement.

I'm gonna say sienna if you want the drive capability and space. Honestly an SUV is probably better from the handling what you need (towing, roads) standpoint but if you plan to use the 3rd row of an SUV for seating, which it sounds like you might, you don't have much room for gear, although that might not matter, if you're towing a trailer you could load stuff in there.

Baylor

The only thing I would be wary of is fixed headrests. They seem to be the biggest offender when it comes to installs and boosters..

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC