schools and carseats - question

Avery'sMama

CPST Instructor
When I taught preschool, we were required to open the BACK door and observe as parent/grandparent buckled them into car seats/boosters. If they did not have a booster or car seat, we were not allowed to put them in the car. It was part of the packets the parents signed on day one. "Children will only be released to authorized persons with appropriate child restraints." Now, I worked in with the 2's, 3's and 4's, so I don't know how they handled Michigan's 5 year olds, who aren't required to have boosters. But I do know that they WOULD NOT release a child in an illegal safety situation, citing liability concerns on our behalf.

ADS

mommycat

When I taught preschool, we were required to open the BACK door and observe as parent/grandparent buckled them into car seats/boosters. If they did not have a booster or car seat, we were not allowed to put them in the car. It was part of the packets the parents signed on day one. "Children will only be released to authorized persons with appropriate child restraints." Now, I worked in with the 2's, 3's and 4's, so I don't know how they handled Michigan's 5 year olds, who aren't required to have boosters. But I do know that they WOULD NOT release a child in an illegal safety situation, citing liability concerns on our behalf.

That's awesome.
:)

becca011906

Senior Community Member
I haven't read the whole post but i can so so so relate to this!!! :( and from more then on side....
My kids school has pick up/ drop off line up too. If i were to count the # of kids that jump in the front then i woudl be SICK SICK SICK to death. So disturbing to see. We had a HUGE HUGE push 2 years ago about the new IN state law of 8 years old has to be in a booster ect. but still you have to get them to follow it. The really bad part is the cops are around but they don't inforce it at all... and he's the real KICKER my DH is a COP a county cop and i don't think he has yet to write a seat belt/car seat ticket, but even if the parnets get stoped it's only a $25 fine and it will be waved if the show proof of getting new car seat NOT proof that they are using it just proof they have on :( so sad. I wish i could figure out how to complain to the school in the right way... maybe that will be my goal for next school year. We will do the pick up line this year and i will have to buckle abby (atleast 1/2 the year) in her 5pt harness and usally austin can buckle himself and is still in a parkway and will be till he passes the 5pt test... but :(

ThreeBeans

That's awesome. Did you ever have to get into it with anyone?

tech_raechel

Senior Community Member
To the OP-
Here (I'm just over the border in Idaho) we're able to "ride the coat tails" of the WA laws, since everyone crosses into WA so they have to follow that law. :)

You might see if there are any local police who are also techs that might be willing to set up a "check point" at the school. One of our local police officers did that for a while. I think she had one person working the pick up line and directing people to her for more info if there where improperly restrained kiddos. Unfortunately I wasn't able to help with it, so I'm not sure of the details...
I would also try to approach the school in some manner with some information, both for the school and the parents. I've had our school send home booster information flyers in the kid's weekly folders. And, with my son's preschool, I gave out packets of info to each child.

Good luck! It's very frusterating.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC