School Bus

smackeen

I am lucky that out school bus for my 5.5 year old has the harnesses built in for kids under 40lbs.

My DS is 36lbs with clothes on. (Not boots or winter gear)

Bus driver informed me today that they weighed DS last week and he is now 40lbs. I informed him that he is still only weighing 36/37lbs here at home (scale is comparable to doctors).

Should I just weigh his pockets? ;)

The way ds gains, I do not expect him to actually reach 40lbs till next year sometime.

ADS

T4K

So they went out of their way to weigh your son!? I think I'd be peeved about that. Not sure why that rubs me the wrong way.

Geez. Why are they eager for him to be without a harness?

Can you just politely ask them to keep him in a harness to see what they say?

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
So they went out of their way to weigh your son!? I think I'd be peeved about that. Not sure why that rubs me the wrong way.

Geez. Why are they eager for him to be without a harness?

Can you just politely ask them to keep him in a harness to see what they say?

I am rubbed the wrong way, too. :/

I would tell them that until he has a documented weight of 40# at the doctor, he needs to stay harnessed.

I wonder why they are so eager to have him out of the harness? Does he put up a fight when they go to buckle him?

Baylor

So they went out of their way to weigh your son!? I think I'd be peeved about that. Not sure why that rubs me the wrong way. Geez. Why are they eager for him to be without a harness? Can you just politely ask them to keep him in a harness to see what they say?
I wonder if it is more of a liability thing if the harness is limited to 40 lbs

To me it actually sounds like she is trying to being diligent.

smackeen

I think it is the extra time involved with the harness...lol Which reminds me that I should check out that is is still set correctly. (I have the ok to go on the bus quickly to make sure it is set correctly.)

I imagine they weigh most of the kids under 40lbs to see if they need it.

I know my oldest was in it past the 40lbs as he did not always sit still.

After the stink I made when my oldest first went, they pretty much know it is non negotiable till a min of 40lbs. I know of some parents that lie about their kids weight so they do not need to use the harness on the bus.

I had someone at the school joke to put cheese burgers in his pocket to weight him down. ;)

amyd

Am I the only one who would not want my kid in a harness on a bus? The thought of him being unable to get himself out in an emergency terrifies me. I guess I'd be ok if he could undo it himself.

aeormsby

What's the max weight limit for the harnessed seat on the bus?

If they have a max weight of 40lb I can see why they would weigh the child and want to switch a little early.

If the harness is rated higher than 40lb and it's their policy that kids under 40lb ride in them then I would absolutely push to keep the harness until he's 41lb.

(and both of the bus harnesses I just checked harness way past 40lb so I'm guessing it's case #2)

Nimommyof2

I don't know scales can vary can't they? I'd want to know how high the harness goes to 40lbs seems low for something like that so they should be able to keep him harnessed longer. My dayhome girl won't sit still on the bus the Teacher has now buckled her in I would assume its something like what your talking about honestly in this case not distracting the driver is important. I doubt Mom checked weight or anything I would hope the Teacher/bus driver know whats up

smackeen

I am not sure what they weighed him in. I would almost bet his coat and boots. He does not wear his coat in the bus, it is in his bag.

I will have to likely call the busing supervisor and find out what is going on.

4boysmom

Am I the only one who would not want my kid in a harness on a bus? The thought of him being unable to get himself out in an emergency terrifies me. I guess I'd be ok if he could undo it himself.

I am more afraid of lap belt only and my kid is the only one in a harness and like a max of 4 kids on the bus when full so nope for me my kid needs a harness. He'd probably hang himself in a lapbelt on the way home he gets so noodley. I am not sure how he does it but he slouches like 6 inches down on the 20 minute ride home. I need to see what's going on with that STAR harness.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC