School bus concern

kitkat0872

I've done some reading and searching on here and it looks like 40lbs is the minimum to be safe on the big, yellow school bus... is that correct?

My youngest will start kindergarten in the fall. He's 5 years old, but only 37" tall and 31lbs. He's being monitored by an endocrinologist for slow growth, so I know he won't be even close to 40lbs by mid-August, when school starts. Am I going to have to be his to/from school transport? Big brother rides the bus and my peanut has been looking forward to joining him for two years, but I want him to be safe.

If it matters, the route is local streets, no highways, top speed around 35mph.

ADS

kitkat0872

Thanks for that link. We may need it if we decide to push for transport to provide a safe ride.

Are there any links/info out there about the 40lbs minimum for compartmentalization? I've told my hubby that I've heard it more than once on various boards over the years, usually from CPSTs, but I think he would like something besides "what one person said."

cantabdad

The federal NHTSA guidelines for small children on school buses are here:
http://www.nhtsa.gov/people/injury/buses/guide1999/prekfinal.htm

The document calls for child restraints / carseats but it doesn't seem to give an exact age or weight cutoff, except for a passing reference to 50 lbs. I think 40 lbs. is the general consensus and perhaps somewhere there is a more technical study that supports that benchmark.

Thanks for that link. We may need it if we decide to push for transport to provide a safe ride.

Are there any links/info out there about the 40lbs minimum for compartmentalization? I've told my hubby that I've heard it more than once on various boards over the years, usually from CPSTs, but I think he would like something besides "what one person said."

kitkat0872

I wonder if the transportation department will argue with "preschool age" since it continually references that, without a weight, and he is of school age? Guess it's time for some serious investigating and putting info together so we can see about getting him safely on the bus in August.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
If all else fails and the district refuses to provide a vest and cam wrap, I don't see why they would have a problem using it if you provide it. The vest and wrap together are less than 200$.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC