Scenera vs guide 65?

U

Unregistered

How do the scenera and guide 65 compare? Which is lighter? Narrower?
I've traveled with the scenera before and the one negative was that the airplane buckle was right in my daughters back- the seat padding is so thin it was quite uncomfortable for her, until I got a folded blanket to put behind her. Is the belt path right under the seat padding on the guide 65?
Thanks!
(Seat will be used FF on plane and RF in car, for 18 mo old, FYI.)

ADS

lgenne

http://carseatblog.com/30022/comparison-of-budget-priced-convertible-carseats-under-100/

The Scenera is both narrower and lighter. A couple thoughts:

-Can you just RF on the plane? That would solve the problem.
-Do you already have access to both seats, or are you considering buying the Guide 65? If you're thinking of buying, also consider the Scenera NEXT. It's equally lightweight and slightly narrower than the Scenera, and cheaper than the Guide 65.

ETA: actually, it looks like the NEXT does not have an enclosed FF belt path, so maybe it wouldn't help you.

U

Unregistered

Thank you.
No, I cannot RF on the plane, as she will be sharing the DVD player with her brother who is 4 and will be FF.
I will be purchasing. I know the scenera next is cheaper, but that's not a major concern. Ease of carrying through the airport (traveling solo with 3 kids!) and child's comfort (cross country trip) are most pressing.
Do you know the difference is weight/width? And is belt path enclosed on guide?
Thank you!

lgenne

All the stats on weight and width are in the link above. I'm not finding anything about the Guide 65 belt path either in image or text searches, and don't have one myself. Can someone else comment?

1mommy

Pretty sure Guide doesn't have an enclosed beltpath but as I haven't installed it FF yet I can't say for certain until I get home tonight and check it out (its in my husbands car) I know at least for RF the beltpath goes directly under the seat cushion.

Hazelandlucy

The Guide does not have an enclosed belt path FF. It does put the buckle on the back. My 3 yr old did not seem to notice at all though. It was nice on the the plane and did not put her legs right up against the seat back like the Britax Clicktight does.

Cnidaria

The Guide 65 is a couple of pounds heavier than either Scenera, because of the metal hardware for the headrest. It's not bad to carry around, though.

If you're definitely going to FF her on the plane, I'd get a Guide over a Scenera NEXT. The latter is outgrown way way early FF (functionally a RF only seat). A SureRide would be another to consider. It does have the same open belt path/buckle problem on planes but lasts a long time FF. It's a big seat but slightly lighter than the Guide. Downside is its single recline line for RFing, so it takes up a lot of space front to back RFing in cars. The Guide installs really compactly RFing for >22 lbs. My favorite thing about the Guide FFing on planes is that the tray table can come all the way down!

My son has done fine with the buckle-in-the-back on both the Guide and SureRide when I pad it. I put a small piece of clothing that we're bringing anyway on top and bottom of the buckle (like, head-ward and butt-ward), between the shell and the cover.

The Guide is kind of a pain to install RFing in cars and I would recommend practicing at home. It likes to rotate around the seatbelt or LATCH strap to be more-reclined or less-reclined. I find a using a towel or pool noodle gives the front edge something to sit on and reduces this.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC