Safety 1st Grow and Go 3 in 1, FF, seat belt harness top holes are too low.

hpdad

My DD is 5.5 year-old. 46 in tall. Currently, she's FF with Safety 1st Grow and Go 3 in 1, second row, middle seat in 2015 Honda Odyssey. I like this car seat because of its small foot print, perfect for middle seat in the van. I had tried others car seats when I bought this 4 years ago but they were big at the foot print.

Now, with the back of the car seat goes to all the way up, the very top holes of the harness are still lower about 2 in from her shoulders. That were a disappointment because I thought I could use this car seat much longer at least till backless booster.

Top of her heard is as same height with the car seat.

Is there any car seat with small foot print so I can fit in the middle seat of the van with higher harness . My budget is ~$150. I know that I can get the Graco Nautilus for her but it wouldn't fit in the middle seat of the van.

I don't want to move her to outside seat or use van's seat belt just yet.

Last edited:
ADS

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Hi. That's about the age I'd expect her to outgrow the top harness slots, though they shouldn't be down below her shoulders. If you want to measure and see if you have the headrest all the way up, the top slots should be around 17". The shoulder belt guides for belt-positioning booster use aren't much higher, so this seat isn't one that will last long as a booster either.

A narrow combination seat that should fit in that middle spot is the Chicco MyFit. It's on sale at Target this week for $179.99. https://goto.target.com/QOKjMz

Unfortunately, narrow doesn't go with this class of carseat. The MyFit is the narrowest I can think of right now.

hpdad

I just did measurement on the top slots. Yes it's 17 in. I asked my DD to sit in again for checking and, actually, the top slots are about may be 0.5 in lower than her shoulders, not like 2 in as I said above.

How old for the child can be used car seat belt replace 5-point seat harness? Is 5 point harness safer than using car seat belt?

Please keep recommending the narrow chairs.

Thank You.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
My DD is 5.5 year-old. 46 in tall. Currently, she's FF with Safety 1st Grow and Go 3 in 1, second row, middle seat in 2015 Honda Odyssey. I like this car seat because of its small foot print, perfect for middle seat in the van. I had tried others car seats when I bought this 4 years ago but they were big at the foot print.

Now, with the back of the car seat goes to all the way up, the very top holes of the harness are still lower about 2 in from her shoulders. That were a disappointment because I thought I could use this car seat much longer at least till backless booster.

Top of her heard is as same height with the car seat.

Is there any car seat with small foot print so I can fit in the middle seat of the van with higher harness . My budget is ~$150. I know that I can get the Graco Nautilus for her but it wouldn't fit in the middle seat of the van.

I don't want to move her to outside seat or use van's seat belt just yet.

Hello and welcome,

The tallest harness systems are the Chicco MyFit and Britax Grow With You ClickTight. The MyFit sometimes goes on sale for $149.99, during sales events like Amazon Prime Day that starts June 21st. Unfortunately, neither one is particularly narrow. Most seats with extended harness limits tend to be taller and wider, unfortunately.

5 1/2 years old is a reasonable time to transition to a booster seat if that is an option you might consider. A travel vest is another option that doesn't take up extra width in a middle seat - https://amzn.to/3vqf0Kn

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CnK

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Maxi Cosi is a proud sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2021 Carseat Media LLC