Safety 1st boost protect?

Raegansmom4

Hey, I have been "out" of the car seat world for awhile, but my youngest is ready for a booster. She just turned 5 and is on the heavier, shorter end of things. She weighs 60 lbs and is 3' 7". I have been booster training her, and she is doing fabulously (better than her 7 yo sister). My oldest is still using the sunshine kids Monterrey, and since she has a good year left of use in that one, I want to keep her in it. I am a bit more strapped for cash to shell out $150 for another Monterrey. How is this Safety 1st air protect booster? From the stats on this site, it seems very tall and wide in the seat. Our car has headrests (at least the car she would use it in does). Any advice? Or should I just try to save up for another Monterrey? She is in a nautilus now, and she is creeping up on the weight limit. Thanks!

ADS

Brigala

CPST Instructor
How is the belt fit in the Nautilus in booster mode? If money is tight, I'd probably try that if it fits either of your kids well.

I know very little about the Boost Air, I'm afraid, except that it does earn an IIHS "best bet" rating. And, like all Dorel boosters, it requires vehicle support behind the child's head.

That, and the fact that there's one listed on Nobetterdeal.com right now. I don't know how the price compares to other places, though; it's always smart to double-check NBD's prices because they're not always a great bargain, especially after shipping fees.

thepote

We have two for ds2 and ds3 (ages 6 and 9) in my husband's car. I really like them. The flip-up armrests make it especially easy for kids to buckle themselves.

Pros:
Nice SIP headrests
Headrest adjusts comparatively tall
Good leg support
Flip up armrests for easy buckling
Good belt fit

Cons:
Height adjuster is cheap and bendy... Bend plastic knob out of hole, adjust, then bend plastic knob back in hole. Not exactly "locking into place."
Thin Dorel plastic
Needs vehicle head support

For a budget booster, especially in outboard positions in the car I would definitely consider it.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
i agree, you can see if either of them fits well in the nauti.
Beyond that, there isn't really a reason to spend a ton of money ona booster. An amp highback is under 440, turbos run $50ish, there's a buttload of cheap harmony options that all seem to be good.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I have a Boost Air Protect and really like it for my daughter! She loves it and says it's very comfortable. It positions well, is easy to use, and provides nice big headwings for SIP and sleeping.

Raegansmom4

Thanks everyone! I may try the Nauti in booster mode with her (I know my 7 yo would probably be too tall for it - she's on the last click of the Monterrey but with plenty of grow room) and then take a look at the Boost Air (I think our Walmart carries it). I love a good old TB (we have one), but she seems squished in it since she is on the chubbier side. I have also considered just getting a no-back for my 7 yo, but I really like the extra protection of a high back and want to use it to the max. It's good to know that I don't *need* an expensive booster compared to what I spent on harnessed seats for those 2 over their years of being harnessed. Thanks!

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
I was going to ask about the turbo. If the older one only has 1 click on the monterey, you mightbe able to do a switcheroo and use the turbo for the next 6 months or so until the monterey is outgrown and your oldest is 8? And then make the nauti backless... it's a REALLY nice backless booster, and put the younger kid in the monterey and the bigger kid in the nauti, backless. If finances are really tight. ;)

Raegansmom4

I was going to ask about the turbo. If the older one only has 1 click on the monterey, you mightbe able to do a switcheroo and use the turbo for the next 6 months or so until the monterey is outgrown and your oldest is 8? And then make the nauti backless... it's a REALLY nice backless booster, and put the younger kid in the monterey and the bigger kid in the nauti, backless. If finances are really tight. ;)

Great idea. I don't have experience with the Nauti as a booster, let alone a backless. This is good to know that it makes a nice backless booster. I wasn't sure what I was going to do for a backless for my oldest as the Harmony one we have as a backup is a pretty tight fight for her. My dh will be happy to know I have a no-purchase option. Thanks!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC