Mazda MPV
Mercury Villager
Nissan Quest
Toyota Sienna
Ford Windstar

Those all have great ratings. :)

Adib

That's a start!

I'm getting a slight headache with my research ... I care about safety, husband cares about price/mileage. Trying to find something to fit both!

Well, the Honda and Toyota are likely to cost a good bit more than the others for comparable years and mileage.

In general, try and get one that's the newest body style. Say it changed in 2003, well get the newer one if possible. Carmakers tend to make fairly sizeable improvements in safety when a new model comes out. Especially in adding things like side airbags and stuff.

urchin_grey

That's a start!

I'm getting a slight headache with my research ... I care about safety, husband cares about price/mileage. Trying to find something to fit both!

I hear ya. I really wanted the Ody because I believe it had the very best ratings overall (and I believe side curtain airbags as well) but the only ones I could find in my price range were a lot older and had a lot more miles. At least I know that if I ever do get one though, they do hold their value. :p I wound up getting a 2003 Grand Caravan though and I like it a lot. It doesn't have all the extras or anything, but after driving 15+ year old cars for so long, it was still quite an upgrade for me. One of the things I did make a priority though is a 2nd row bench vs. captains chairs. I just figured it would be easier to have that bigger space on one side. The 3rd row is a lot less roomy but it is possible to get 3-across (just tricky). On the other hand, its likely some kids will 5-step test earlier in those seats than others because they're really made for kids. The seatbelt even fits my 3-foot tall kid if you ignore the fact that his knees don't even bend over the seat (he NEVER rides like that, I just stuck him in it once to keep him still while I installed his seat and was surprised how well he fit LOL).

amyd

Really the only ones to stay away from in that MY range are the GM ones (Chevy Venture, Pontiac Montana, Oldsmobile Silhoutte). They get quite poor crash ratings. Be cautious of Fords as there were some pretty serious recalls for engine fires around those years too, I believe. There is a fix for the issue, though. Just something to be aware of.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC