Safekids >8^[ this makes me mad

seb3244

This was an ad on a YouTube video I saw.
They need to remove it. The baby looks to be about 12 months and she says you can forward face him now.

http://youtu.be/iSALwPzZiDw

Any new parent reading this please know that it is NOT safe to forward face this young. A child should rear face in a convertible car seat until they reach the rear facing height or weight limit on their car seat. This is usually past age 2 for most car seats.

ADS

Mysweethoneybee

It sounds like our safe kids. I was all excited to maybe get to take a tech class. Then I found out they recommend shelf liner things to keep car seats from sliding around and they forward face at 1 year and booster at 4 unless the kids have something like a cosco high back booster and are too big for the harness then they booster in that at 3. I mentioned this site to the man I was talking to about taking the tech course and he said that he knew there were radical people out there, but he just wanted to keep kids safe. So I decided not to try to get into the class because I am a "radical".

Keeanh

Did you read the response from Safekids saying the kid is almost 3? And their reason for not mentioning an RF convertible is because a lot of the brand new infant seats from the ABC convention go to 35-40lbs RF. So as of now, everyone owns giant infant seats that haven't been released and RF convertibles are now obsolete? Really?

seb3244

Did you read the response from Safekids saying the kid is almost 3? And their reason for not mentioning an RF convertible is because a lot of the brand new infant seats from the ABC convention go to 35-40lbs RF. So as of now, everyone owns giant infant seats that haven't been released and RF convertibles are now obsolete? Really?

Omg! This is crazy!

seb3244

It sounds like our safe kids. I was all excited to maybe get to take a tech class. Then I found out they recommend shelf liner things to keep car seats from sliding around and they forward face at 1 year and booster at 4 unless the kids have something like a cosco high back booster and are too big for the harness then they booster in that at 3. I mentioned this site to the man I was talking to about taking the tech course and he said that he knew there were radical people out there, but he just wanted to keep kids safe. So I decided not to try to get into the class because I am a "radical".

I am a radical too I guess lol

ERFmama

I had to comment.

I can appreciate what they are trying to do, but they didn't do it right and all I got from the video was "child has outgrown infant seat now it's time to FF".

Keeanh

Ugh. Here's another one. The FF to booster video says to move when the seat is outgrown. No mention of a 40lb 2yo in a Scenera needing a larger harnessed seat.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5cK0MBFI_E"]Moving from a Forward Facing Seat - YouTube[/ame]

I'll give them a pass on the booster-to-seatbelt one. But she should have mentioned local laws. There are some small 3rd rows where a kid could 5-step (or 3-step per her video) before 4'9" or 9yo, but would still be illegal in BC.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member

The problem is that a short video can't include enough pertinent information to help viewers distinguish general advice from the advice that might pertain to a particular situation. For example, how would a viewer know for certain the child was almost 3, or if they were only 22 months old?

For viewers who rarely read comments on Youtube, I can certainly see that some may assume it's OK to go from a typical infant carrier to a forward-facing harness. That may be the case with some kids, especially those who are in an extended range infant carrier. We also know that a safer option is to be in a rear-facing convertible before moving to a forward facing harness seat, at least until 24 months old and preferably as long as possible.

On the plus side, as they stated in the comments, it is still acceptable to have any child over 1 year old and over 20 pounds to be forward facing in a harness in many convertible and combination carseat products. It's not safest practice, but it is still going to offer a great deal of protection when installed and used correctly.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician

Please don't let that deter you! Remember, if no one comes in with "radical" (aka up-to-date and best practice) ideas the culture of that SK chapter will never change. If you don't feel comfortable training with that coalition, consider going out of area. Personally, I did it in reverse - I'm very fortunate and have a great local SK coalition, but I went out-of-area and the class I took sounds a lot like your local culture.

Don't misunderstand - I'm not encouraging you to go in like a bull in a china shop. But if you get certified and then you're able to work with families and educate parents, you'll also work with other techs and they'll learn from you. Even a mild "AAP recommends rear-facing to two years" can promote a gradual and positive change. I see it working with the coalition here - myself and another cso'er are EEEEERFers and that has to some degree normalized it in our tech culture. Locally, we see not only many kids RFing to age 2, but it's not uncommon to see kids RF *past* two. Lots of parents get their info online, and I am surprised at how much ERF and EH I see in our local culture. This is a person-to-person change, one at a time, slow and steady wins the race. But someone has to be the spark to start that change - why not you?

(I have gone from "just a nanny" to working with a LOT of families, and am consistently astonished at the culture change I've seen locally between when I found CSO in 2009 & now. Today I stopped at my local Starbucks and saw a car with a "my toddler rides rear-facing" decal in the back window <3 It's a great feeling to see lots of RF convertibles around town and know I'm a small part of that culture change. Educating parents, caregivers, other people who educate parents - it DOES snowball and it's amazing!)

seb3244

Please don't let that deter you! Remember, if no one comes in with "radical" (aka up-to-date and best practice) ideas the culture of that SK chapter will never change. If you don't feel comfortable training with that coalition, consider going out of area. Personally, I did it in reverse - I'm very fortunate and have a great local SK coalition, but I went out-of-area and the class I took sounds a lot like your local culture. Don't misunderstand - I'm not encouraging you to go in like a bull in a china shop. But if you get certified and then you're able to work with families and educate parents, you'll also work with other techs and they'll learn from you. Even a mild "AAP recommends rear-facing to two years" can promote a gradual and positive change. I see it working with the coalition here - myself and another cso'er are EEEEERFers and that has to some degree normalized it in our tech culture. Locally, we see not only many kids RFing to age 2, but it's not uncommon to see kids RF *past* two. Lots of parents get their info online, and I am surprised at how much ERF and EH I see in our local culture. This is a person-to-person change, one at a time, slow and steady wins the race. But someone has to be the spark to start that change - why not you? (I have gone from "just a nanny" to working with a LOT of families, and am consistently astonished at the culture change I've seen locally between when I found CSO in 2009 & now. Today I stopped at my local Starbucks and saw a car with a "my toddler rides rear-facing" decal in the back window <3 It's a great feeling to see lots of RF convertibles around town and know I'm a small part of that culture change. Educating parents, caregivers, other people who educate parents - it DOES snowball and it's amazing!)

I have had many great convos with mamas that didn't even know about rear facing after age 1
It makes my mama heart so happy walking away from them knowing that if I have educated just one person about ERF than all my car seat reading and car seat researching and car seat nerdy-ness is worth it.

It reminds me of that starfish story where the boy was walking along the beach and was throwing the starfish back into the ocean and someone said you'll never make a difference there are so many and the boy says well to that one I made a difference as he chucks it into the ocean.

jjordan

Ugh. Here's another one. The FF to booster video says to move when the seat is outgrown. No mention of a 40lb 2yo in a Scenera needing a larger harnessed seat.

Moving from a Forward Facing Seat - YouTube

I'll give them a pass on the booster-to-seatbelt one. But she should have mentioned local laws. There are some small 3rd rows where a kid could 5-step (or 3-step per her video) before 4'9" or 9yo, but would still be illegal in BC.

That one is pretty terrible. :( That child has such a baby face, he really doesn't even look 4 to me, more like 3, and if so DEFINITELY not ready for a booster (and illegal in many states).

Cnidaria

It reminds me of that starfish story where the boy was walking along the beach and was throwing the starfish back into the ocean and someone said you'll never make a difference there are so many and the boy says well to that one I made a difference as he chucks it into the ocean.

(. . . I hate that story. Starfish are perfectly well adapted to the intertidal zone.)

Anyway, back to car seats! I do congratulate and support everyone who does advocacy, one person at a time.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC