Safe, Reliable, Fuel Efficient Mid-Size Car Under $10K

morlando27

We're going to have to replace my '00 Pontiac Bonneville soon so I'm beginning to shop for a safe, reliable, relatively fuel efficient mid-size car. I like the Bonneville but DH hits his head getting in & out and complains about feeling cramped even though it's not a small car. Surprisingly, he's comfortable in and really likes our '97 VW Passat TDI. He would like to either get a newer one for me or get something bigger with 3rd row seating (mainly so we could put the kids in separate rows to minimize fighting) but I'm not convinced of either option.

Our budget is $10K max, preferably closer to $8K. Priorities for me include safety, reliability, interior space so DH doesn't hit his head and so I can comfortably fit 3 passengers in the rear when needed (DS1 is 8 yo, currently in a Vivo at the highest setting; DS2 is 3.5 yo, recently turned ff in a TF; and I'd like to be able to fit another booster rider or adult on occasion), decent gas mileage (better than the 22 mpg I'm getting now), and a center rear l/s belt. I would love head adjustable, non-protruding rests in all rear seating positions but could give on the headrests as long as DS2's seat can be installed in the center with room and head support for nbb's or adults outboard. I have seats for DS2 that could be shuffled from other vehicles but none are particularly narrow (TF, GN, FR85, CA). DH used to be pretty loyal to Chevy's but we're open to other options. In terms of style, I'm drawn to wagons & hatchbacks but I've never owned or driven one so I don't know if I'd actually like one (the projectile risk of an open cargo area bothers me) and I don't particularly care for SUV's so we'll probably end up with a sedan.

All that said, what would you recommend?

ADS

P1ally

Chevy Malibu maxx? Or impala? The Malibu isn't a very big back seat, but I got 35mpg in mine... Impala is much larger.

morlando27

I like the looks of the Malibu Maxx just from seeing them on the road. I really should take a closer look at them. DH likes the Impala but I'm afraid the fixed, forward leaning headrests would be problematic in terms of installing DS2's ff car seat and head support for DS1 when he outgrows his hbb.

What other mid-sized (used) cars tend to get recommended?

ca2003

I have a 2008 impala and I've been using a program on my phone to track MPG for the last couple of months and my average has been 22.58MPG with the best week being 24.8 and worst week 20.9.

I don't have kids yet so I haven't really installed any seats in the Impala to know about any issues that may come up because of the headrests but I am just over 5'6'' and I have adequate head support in the back seat.

My fiance is also tall and whacks his head a lot so he has just learned to duck ;)

I think the Camry and Accord are pretty fuel efficient for their size but I am not sure it is going to be a huge improvement from your current car. I know my co-worker has a Camry (2006ish I think) and he said he gets about 24-25 MPG. I know it will depend on your driving and if it is mostly highway with little traffic they are probably closer to 30 MPGs (I know we got pretty close to 30 in my Impala before when driving across the state).

I would think to really see an improvement in MPGs you would have to go to something smaller like a Civic or Corolla.

spiderangs

I have 2004 Chevy Malibu Maxx. I love it so much because I can able to get all 3 across. Radian, evenflo booster seat, and Chicco Keyfit30. Two radian and evenflo booster. The back seat can able to move back or farther. Recline seats.. Etc.

draftsmith

I have a 2004 Accord and can fit a Nautilus, low back, and Recaro ProBooster in my car or Britax Marathon classic Rf or FF adult and Graco Nautilus in my backseat as well. I get decent mileage and have great trunk space.

My husband has a Nissan sentra and we have the britax Marathon Classic FF First Years B570 booster and can fit an adult or low back tightly between them as well, suprisingly.

jgomez411

ca2003 said:
I have a 2008 impala and I've been using a program on my phone to track MPG for the last couple of months and my average has been 22.58MPG with the best week being 24.8 and worst week 20.9.

I don't have kids yet so I haven't really installed any seats in the Impala to know about any issues that may come up because of the headrests but I am just over 5'6'' and I have adequate head support in the back seat.

My fiance is also tall and whacks his head a lot so he has just learned to duck ;)

I think the Camry and Accord are pretty fuel efficient for their size but I am not sure it is going to be a huge improvement from your current car. I know my co-worker has a Camry (2006ish I think) and he said he gets about 24-25 MPG. I know it will depend on your driving and if it is mostly highway with little traffic they are probably closer to 30 MPGs (I know we got pretty close to 30 in my Impala before when driving across the state).

I would think to really see an improvement in MPGs you would have to go to something smaller like a Civic or Corolla.

We have a Civic and while it feels roomy for being a small four door, it's still pretty small. I am only 5'3" and feel cramped in the front passenger, but I do love the gas mileage!
What about a Ford Fusion? We had looked at one and it was pretty roomy for a sedan and got pretty decent mileage. Oh, and we looked at a Ford Five Hundred which felt huge, but it had a large trunk and got good gas mileage! I found a 2006 with 100000 miles for around $7000 so you could probably find one with less miles but that fits in your budget.

morlando27

I really liked the Ford Taurus X but we ended up with an '05 Passat TDI wagon. Fitting three people in the back seat will be tight but at least there are lap/shoulder belts and adjustable headrests for all seating positions. I think it will work for DS2's car seat and 2 kids or 1 child & a small adult. In a couple of years when both boys are wanting to bring friends along, we may revisit the Taurus X or similar CUV.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC