rolled up blankets for infant head support

lizajane30

Here's something I don't get: we're not supposed to use infant head supports, because they could fall behind the baby's head and obstruct the airway, right? But it seems to me that a rolled up blanket or small towel, just wedged next to a baby's head, is way more likely to fall behind the head than a support that's attached to fabric that sits behind the child. I don't really see any way that the infant supports like this one could fall behind the baby's head.

Am I missing something?

ADS

Jewels

Senior Community Member
You don't want anything to come between the seat, harness and the baby that is why a rolled up receiving blanket is suggested to use over a aftermarket product.
If you roll up two blankets and place one on each side (ie. lol) of the head there is less chance of it falling behind the baby's head as opposed to rolling the receiving blanket and putting (ie. n shape) it around the baby's head.

cpsaddict

Here's something I don't get: we're not supposed to use infant head supports, because they could fall behind the baby's head and obstruct the airway, right? But it seems to me that a rolled up blanket or small towel, just wedged next to a baby's head, is way more likely to fall behind the head than a support that's attached to fabric that sits behind the child. I don't really see any way that the infant supports like this one could fall behind the baby's head.

Am I missing something?

I've never heard of airway restriction as the reason to not use the head supports. The head supports are not recommended because you don't anything between the harness and the seat or harness and baby. The two words on the linked support that scare me are "ultra plush" meaning a lot of padding behind baby. Two tightly rolled recieving blankets on either side, not shaped around the head, would not slip behind baby. Also, most babies do not need the head support after a couple of months.

lizajane30

Oh...I thought I read on this site somewhere, where someone said it was because the support could fall behind the baby's head and keep them from putting their head back, thus blocking the airway. And I thought that was more likely to happen with the loose blanket rolls. (I guess I was confused about why not to use the support.)

Our infant seat (Graco Snugride) came with one of those things. Why would it be okay to use that one? I'm not trying to be argumentative, just trying to understand what's safe and what's not.

-Linda

Baby Wonder ABC

If anyone is looking for an alternative to rolled up blankets, who do not want the hassle of having to keep a blanket rolled. I am a Nurse and a mother who created the Cuddle Me Safe. I have used them with my two sons and my friends loved them so I decided to make them available to everyone. I would love to hear what you think. Questions, suggestions are welcomed. The pictures are not the best, my son is 4 months old in the picture. They are adjustable, bendable, and supports the head.

Last edited:

mommy-medic

If anyone is looking for an alternative to rolled up blankets, who do not want the hassle of having to keep a blanket rolled. I am a Nurse and a mother who created the Cuddle Me Safe. You can go to www.babywonderABC.com for more information. It is sold currently on Etsy and Amazon. I have used them with my two sons and my friends loved them so I decided to make them available to everyone. I would love to hear what you think. Questions, suggestions are welcomed.

Welcome to the site, and we're glad to have you. However, I don't think they like advertising in the threads. There is a section for shopping, and if you are a benefactor (or have enough posts and reputation) you can post under "carseat swap" (there is a subsection for items other than seats members are selling or buying). :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Oh...I thought I read on this site somewhere, where someone said it was because the support could fall behind the baby's head and keep them from putting their head back, thus blocking the airway.

And I thought that was more likely to happen with the loose blanket rolls. (I guess I was confused about why not to use the support.)

You're picturing the blankets wrong, I think. When you use rolled-up receiving blankets, they go alongside the child's body, for support. They can extend to next to the baby's head but there is no way they can come loose and get behind baby's head.

Our infant seat (Graco Snugride) came with one of those things. Why would it be okay to use that one? I'm not trying to be argumentative, just trying to understand what's safe and what's not.

-Linda

You can certainly use a product that came with your infant seat. You just can't add any aftermarket products to the seat :thumbsup:

Baby Wonder ABC

Is that even safe behind their arms, and on top of the harness next to the hips??

Not sure if you are referring to rolled up blankets or the cuddle me safe but neither one is on top of the harness. Both are meant to fill the empty space between the infant and car seat. Some car seats do not have much cushion so there is a lot of space between them. Both are placed after the child is secured/buckeled into the car seat. Most hospitals recommend rolled up blankets to be placed along side of the infant filling all the empty space. I know the NICU does not allow anything other than rolled up blankets and the baby has to pass a 3 hour test before they can be released home. Hope this helps.

spokaneCPST

CPST Instructor
Interesting product, Baby Wonder ABC. Can you tell us a little more about their construction - what are they "filled" with, etc. Thanks and welcome!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC