Roadtrip with a Newborn and Toddler

rin2809

So, I have been convinced by my DH that, barring any health concerns, we are taking an 8 hour roadtrip to be with his ailing grandparents for Christmas this year. Normally not a huge deal, but I am due with our second son on Sunday, so at the oldest he will be 3 weeks and could be as young as a week and a half when we travel.

Thankfully, my 3 year old is an awesome roadtrip kid. We do this drive 3-4 times a year and he has always been a trooper. With Northern winter weather, we will probably get on the road at about 5 AM and I plan for lots and lots of breaks along the way.

My question is more about seating configurations. My Mother-in-Law is coming with us, which is great to help with the kids, but tightens up our seating significantly. We have a 1999 Ford Windstar with 3 doors and a bench middle seat, no side airbags etc. I am trying to figure out the best/safest configuration for installing seats.

My 3 year old is FF in a Nautilus and we have a Chicco Keyfit for the newborn. My initial thought would be to put the Nautilus center or outboard on the driver's side in the Rear and have my MIL and toddler in the back seat, then me and the baby in the middle seat. I toyed with putting the baby in the back, but not sure about being able to crawl back there with him two weeks after having a baby...

Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

ADS

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I don't know anything about that particular vehicle, but the set-up you are considering sounds good to me. Just wanted to say that I am sorry you will have to take a road trip right after having a baby! I think the baby will be fine, but make sure you are taking care of yourself!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bnsnyde

At that age I think the baby will just sleep. Baby will be too young to "entertain." Pretty easy.

I guess at that age I did not like them in carseats for more than quick inevitable trips b/c I always read about how they can stop breathing so easily in the carseat position, etc. 1-3 weeks old is quite young.

But seeing ailing grandparents is essential, I get it! I saw my great-grandma at 9 months old and it was PRICELESS for me. I have the photos and I am SOOOO glad my mom dragged me there on a plane to another state. Take LOTS of photos.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
PERSONALLY - I would send DH and the 3 year old and stay home with the newborn.

This is not a trip I'd even entertain as a possibility that soon after giving birth. Although I understand the ailing grandparent thing which is why I'd be willing to divide up the family for it.

I would wait for baby's 6 week mark before even thinking about whether we could all go.

featherhead

When my oldest was about two weeks old (maybe only a week and a half) we drove almost 3 hours to a friends wedding. My bottom was sooooo sore. I can't imagine 8 hours.

lgenne

Is flying in the budget? I would pay a lot to avoid that drive so soon after giving birth. Even if it's just you and the baby flying.

NVMBR02

We did 12ish hours when dd1 was about 2 weeks old. The trip was fine, she was still sleeping all the time. We didn't have her passport yet so we couldn't fly (Italy to Germany) Flying with her at ~6 weeks was harder (it was about a 2.5hour flight). I'm assuming that a lot of it is dependent on how your labor goes and if you have any soreness afterwards.

I think your car seat set up is fine so most of it will depend on how you and baby are doing after booth. Good luck!!

allmyboyz

I just travelled 12 hrs in two days with my 6 wk old, 2.5 yr old and 5 yr old and baby was great. I thought I was too until I finally arrived and every inch of my body was hurting for two days and I felt so exhausted. I felt like I had just given birth again. Point is I think baby will be fine just worried about you. So yes you get seat closest to back door and lots of breaks if you must do it.

Personally I would choose another weekend a little further on to make this trip if possible and just sit the holidays out. I get ailing family but barring immediate crisis I would just wait a couple weeks.

Keeanh

I drove 20 hours each way (2 10-hr days) when #6 was 4 weeks old. She slept a lot. Thankfully she took a bottle so the older kids could feed her while we were driving. If you start early and don't have a deadline for getting there, 8 hours can be broken up quite a bit.

How "ailing" are they? Is it important to the grandparents that you be there *for Christmas*? Or is this your husband's idea and they would be just as happy with a January visit?

ETA: With a bench middle seat, I would sit in the front and be comfortable. I would only sit in the back to get away from the airbag to pump & to feed. But if you have the option of spreading the 8 hours over, say 15 hours (eg. 7am - 10pm), you should be able to stop for feedings.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC