Rigid LATCH and seatbelt on Foonf

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
how would you know if you had a tight install with the latch connected?

Since a tight install is to prevent movement precrash and in the first milliseconds of a crash before the seat belt locks, the rigid LATCH would serve the same purpose and make tight seatbelt installation precrash unnecessary as long as there is no slack in the seatbelt.

ADS

Clek CPST

Say you have a 40lb child weight limit vehicle. You turn your kid FF at 40lb, and immediately have to go to seatbelt install because you're over the limit, and never get to use the fancy rigid latch. The Facebook reply seemed to indicate that it would be possible to continue using rigid latch in combination with the seatbelt, when the latch limit is exceeded.

Yes, you are correct that the Facebook reply indicated that the rigid LATCH can continue to be used as long as the child is within the height and weight limits of the Foonf -provided - the seatbelt is added to the installation once a child reaches 48lbs or the lower anchor weight limit specified by the vehicle manufacturer - whichever is lower. Parents will still have the choice of doing a seatbelt only install if they prefer.

tiggercat

Since a tight install is to prevent movement precrash and in the first milliseconds of a crash before the seat belt locks, the rigid LATCH would serve the same purpose and make tight seatbelt installation precrash unnecessary as long as there is no slack in the seatbelt.

Interesting. I suppose the rigid latch could act as a pre-crash positioner, with the ELR kicking in to restrain the seat. I hadn't thought about it that way. Thanks!

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

AK Dad

Just a quick editorial note from me - Clek's stock just went way up for me personally! I know some people find this sort of thing (like Diono's SL going to 80lbs even when the vehicle manufacturer says something lower) unsettling, but I love it! Makes me feel like the manufacturers aren't underestimating their consumers' intelligence. They've done the engineering for us, and rather than letting the lawyers write the manual, they're actually taking the time to explain it to the end user. Thanks Clek!

Phineasmama

Ok so say I have a position with latch, and a lap/shoulder belt with a free sliding latch plate and the seat belt is ELR only. If I latch the foonf and I want to also use the seat belt, would I use the shoulder belt lock off on the foonf, a locking clip, or nothing?

hope41more

Just a quick editorial note from me - Clek's stock just went way up for me personally! I know some people find this sort of thing (like Diono's SL going to 80lbs even when the vehicle manufacturer says something lower) unsettling, but I love it! Makes me feel like the manufacturers aren't underestimating their consumers' intelligence. They've done the engineering for us, and rather than letting the lawyers write the manual, they're actually taking the time to explain it to the end user. Thanks Clek!

I was thinking the exact same thing. I am TOTALLY pleased with my purchase. Well, except for the lint. IM JOKING! I have NO lint on my seat cover, nor would I care if I did. :p

Persimmon

If you were to use seat belt only FF, how much benefit would the child receive from the REACT system in case of a crash?

ETA: And how can I tell if there is any interference between the LATCH anchors and the seat belt? I am trying to figure out if I can do this in my 09 Subaru Forester, am not a tech and have no clue, and Subaru referred me here!

Last edited:

tiggercat

Ok so say I have a position with latch, and a lap/shoulder belt with a free sliding latch plate and the seat belt is ELR only. If I latch the foonf and I want to also use the seat belt, would I use the shoulder belt lock off on the foonf, a locking clip, or nothing?

Good question!

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

Clek CPST

Just to be dorky, this was me when I read this announcement was true.

View attachment 20709

:spit: Love it! That totally made me laugh out loud too.

Totally OT, but I just noticed some new standard smilies for posts that I don't have to click "more" to see. :dance:

eta: I'm checking in to the other questions on this thread. There have been some excellent questions asked and I want to make sure that I'm providing the most accurate and up-to-date information so I'm checking in to a few things before replying. Just so that nobody thinks I'm ignoring their questions. :thumbsup:

jess71903

Ambassador

But this couldn't happen right? In a car new enough to have LATCH, you have a seat belt that locks somehow. Either you have a switchable retractor or you have a locking latch plate.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
But this couldn't happen right? In a car new enough to have LATCH, you have a seat belt that locks somehow. Either you have a switchable retractor or you have a locking latch plate.

Lightweight locking latchplates frequently break.

Phineasmama

My 2009 Honda CR-V, middle seat belt. Definitely does not have a switchable retractor OR locking latch plate.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
My 2009 Honda CR-V, middle seat belt. Definitely does not have a switchable retractor OR locking latch plate.

Has to, by law. Quite probably something is broken. In a Honda, probably a retractor, so I wouldn't use that seating position until it's fixed (unless you have dedicated LATCH there, didn't check.)

Phineasmama

It does have an ELR though. And it does have LATCH but it can only be used by itself if you're using the middle position, so any other seats on the outboard sides would have to be installed with seat belt.

Phineasmama

Hmm well I just checked the manual again and it SAYS that all seat belts except the driver's side have locking retractors. So now I'm confused...maybe it is broken? I just don't know how that could have happened though, I mean I bought the vehicle new and have rarely used the center seat belt.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Then it must have a broken locking latchplate if it doesn't have a switchable belt. If you bought it that way, recently, I'd take it in and get them to fix it. If not, I'd still probably want it fixed.

If the latch plate is clearly sliding I'd say you have a broken retractor and switch to LATCH before another car ride (and outboard seats to belt.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC