RFing a Radian on airplanes.

mommycat

I just find it's kind of inconvenient, because her head slouched when she slept
I would recline the airplane seat with the Radian installed once the take-off is done with - I think I have heard this works ok with the Radian. It defeinitely gave a bit more recline to my MA when we flew with it a couple of months ago.

I would also buy a travel seat like a Scenera for a small under-1 baby if I had the Radian as a primary seat. (If I was standing on the plane faced with the choice of checking my Radian and having a lap baby vs installing FF, assuming they would let you since it would be against the CR instructions, I would probably install FF? Seems better to have the child restrained even if not ideally, and then you can have them as a lapbaby when the seatbelt sign is off and your carseat isn't being damaged. Maybe. But I truthfully wouldn't travel with the Radian and an under-1yo.)

ADS

Eclipsepearl

I agree. Once they're one, you could rf and then switch it ffing if it's a long flight and you're annoying the person in front. Take-off and landing are similar to car travel. Inflight, turbulence is the more likely culprit.

InternationalMama

I agree. Once they're one, you could rf and then switch it ffing if it's a long flight and you're annoying the person in front. Take-off and landing are similar to car travel. Inflight, turbulence is the more likely culprit.

Just as an FYI some country's regulations or airlines will not let you uninstall the seat while the plane is in flight. Once you've belted it in it has to stay in. I personally would definitely check with a flight attendant if it's okay to uninstall it and change directions.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I flew with 2 Radians and a Complete Air this week. In the car, the baby uses the Radian and the 5 year old the CA (rear-facing.) However on the plane I switched them-- put the 5 year old (and 3 year old) FFing in Radians and the CA RFing for the 1 1/2 year old. I had 2 FAs confront me on the first flight about it being RF. I very politely asked to see the manual and said it was my understanding that their own policy was to let me decide how it went as long as she was within the weight limits and it installed properly-- that I was willing to comply with their instructions but I would like them to please check the manual. They decided I sounded like I knew what I was talking about, let me keep it while they radioed down to check-- they didn't have the manual on board-- and came back halfway through the flight to thank me and tell me that I was correct, it's up to the parent to decide. The other 2 flights no one said boo to me. All Southwest, BTW. It was not a horrible experience-- I managed to keep my sarcasm in check and knew the "magic words" thanks to this board-- and that's one flight crew that is now 100% sure that parents may RF their convertible on the plane. :thumbsup:

InternationalMama

I managed to keep my sarcasm in check and knew the "magic words" thanks to this board-- and that's one flight crew that is now 100% sure that parents may RF their convertible on the plane. :thumbsup:

This is exactly why I think it's good to have the conversation with the flight crew about RF. Often they learn something too and I like to think that it will help other parents flying.

Ketchup: This is a teensy bit OT, but how is it flying with the Complete Air? Were you in the bulkhead or does it fit rear facing between rows?

mommy2jasmine

I didn't realize how much more convoing went on in here. I'm impressed with you, ketchup! I prided (I know that's not a word. Eh, oh well) myself in getting 1 seat installed in an airplane. I don't know if I could handle 3. I'd have to hire someone to help me. I get flustered easily, though :)

I wanted to update, though, that I got the Radian RF again, on another plane. It was a LearJet. I forget which kind. I'll have to find out, and reply again. Not that I think many people would be flying around on a Lear Jet, but you never know! My Aunt flies for a couple who owns it, and I get to hitch rides when it's convenient. On the way there I didn't feel comfortable trying, because she didn't have a seatbelt extender. On the way back we got delayed, and I had time to mess around and finagle a little. I got it in, without a seatbelt extender, and was able to get it out by feeding the belt, slowly but surely back through. If I had a seatbelt extender, it would have been tighter, but it was definitely not going anywhere, and well within the less than 1 inch of movement rule. It took awhile to get out, but only about 2 minutes. I took pics!

Got it in
2010-01-02143135.jpg

'bout 45 even, it looks like
2010-01-02142959.jpg

Jasmine in there.
2010-01-02144543.jpg

mommycat

Aww, she's so cute, so intent on snack. I want to travel in seats like those!!!!! :D

OMG I just noticed your siggy pic. LOL!!!!!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
LearJet, cool! :D
This is exactly why I think it's good to have the conversation with the flight crew about RF. Often they learn something too and I like to think that it will help other parents flying.

Ketchup: This is a teensy bit OT, but how is it flying with the Complete Air? Were you in the bulkhead or does it fit rear facing between rows?
I agree, it's good to politely assert yourself to pave the way for the next person who may not be assertive-- if you can manage not to get yourself kicked off. ;)

I hope by now IM you have seen my thread about flying with my 3 kids (I started a thread with pics.) The CA JUST fit RF between rows on the Soutwest 737 I was on. :thumbsup: (I just saw this post!)

InternationalMama

I hope by now IM you have seen my thread about flying with my 3 kids (I started a thread with pics.) The CA JUST fit RF between rows on the Soutwest 737 I was on. :thumbsup: (I just saw this post!)

Can you link me? I did a search, but can't find it. Is it here or in Carseat Chat? I feel pretty meh about the CA, but I'm trying to remain open-minded.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC