RF XTSL not working well in 2001 Windstar. Options for puzzling?

geberika

CPS Technician
Hi all, I have two bench rows in my 2001 Windstar. Second row: 10yo twins outboard each in a Harmony Cruz, with 2yo in RF XTSL in between. Third row: 8yo in a TB and a 5yo in a Fr85.

Problem is, I hate the install of the RF XTSL. It's a lap-only in that spot and doesn't feel very tight -- only when it's tethered.

But my challenges are that the middle seats of both rows are lap-only, and don't have headrests (I was thinking about a Go for the 5yo for in between the two Cruz, but I don't think it will work because of no headrest in that spot).

Can you recommend a seat that puzzles well between two backless boosters? My brain hurts.

ADS

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
I have really liked my myride and the mysize70 beside booster riders. Sometimes the seats that sit up on bases work well because they are narrower where it counts. Many people don't like the new graco buckles, etc., but I've not had any issues.

tiggercat

Can you identify what is stopping you from getting the Radian tight? I assume you've tried all of the tricks (twisting down the buckle stalk, unbuckle/tighten/rebuckle, flip latchplate half turn to force it to lock)?
How loose is it?

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

valleyfam

Are you using the seat belt or latch to install the radian? I also have a 01. I use the MyRide in the center and a Harmony Lite Rider on one side and a PWSG on the other. A little tricky to buckle the boosters but doable. The MR is currently ff but has rf between two OS PWs. I can play with it if it will help. My guess is you have a little more room because your 3 seater bench is in the second row correct? Sounded like you had two 3 seater benches.

geberika

CPS Technician
Are you using the seat belt or latch to install the radian? I also have a 01. I use the MyRide in the center and a Harmony Lite Rider on one side and a PWSG on the other. A little tricky to buckle the boosters but doable. The MR is currently ff but has rf between two OS PWs. I can play with it if it will help. My guess is you have a little more room because your 3 seater bench is in the second row correct? Sounded like you had two 3 seater benches.

Yes, I have two benches in the back. My 10yos have outgrown HBB so I have to use backless, but I'm also dealing with a lot of fighting between all five of my kids. Is a lite-rider narrower than a cruz? I've also got a 5yo in a FR85 and a 8yo in a TB w SS.

RE: the XTSL install, I'm using the lap-only belt to install, and I'm twisting the stalk, pulling multiple directions. It just won't get TIGHT. I just ordered a MR because I've heard on here that they puzzle better. Maybe that will work for us.

mom of six

Is a lite-rider narrower than a cruz?

Yes, the literider is narrower than the cruz but it also has a shallower seat. My then 8 yo was uncomfortable in a literider because the seat ended mid thigh rather than closer to her knees so we switched her to the cruz.

What about the Graco Connext. It is a backless that has a very similar shape to the lightrider but is a little bit wider and deeper. Not too spendy. $18.00 at walmart.

valleyfam

Sorry I'm unfamiliar with radians. I know there is an option for latch in the center seating position of the three seater bench. Would using latch help tighten your install? I hope you can figure something out with the MyRide added to the equation. It is really surprising how such a big seat can puzzle into tiny spots. I totally get the fighting thing. I told dh yesterday I was buying a church bus so each kid could have there own row!

Irishmama

A SureRide fit nicely in mine between two Literiders, two Cosco Topside, or one of each. With the BubbleBum it was even better. Good luck!

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I used the radian in my windstar. Super awesome install. Try pulling the tail of the laip belt back through the belt path, and pull from that side, along with twisting the buckle stalk down.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC