Recommend for a tall booster seat

hpdad

Hello,

I am back again.

My DD will be 9 yr in Nov 2024. Currently, she is using Booster Chicco MyFit in the main vehicle and Graco Affix in spare vehicle.

We will be taking Graco Affix for this summer trip to the East Coast to visit my in-law. We will be flying and using the seat for driving when we get there. The problem is Graco Affix's top is bit lower than her top head. Any recommendation for replacing?

She has been rarely using Graco Affix, probably 5 times in the last 3 years.

I am not looking to move her to backless booster just yet.

She is now weight: 60 lbs, tall: 53", torso: 18.5"

Thank You

Last edited:
ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Hi, do you have a budget?

It's ok for the head to go a bit above the top of the booster; the things to watch out for are if the top of the ears goes above the top of the booster, or if the shoulder goes above the belt guide that the shoulder belt threads through. It's very unusual for a child to have ears over the top before the shoulder goes above the guide. Are her shoulders still below the guide?

The good news is that the KidFit is among the shortest high back boosters sold, and the Affix just barely taller, so there are definitely taller options if you want them. However, if your torso measurement is accurate, she should have a year or more left before outgrowing the boosters you have.

hpdad

Thank You Ketchupqueen.

Can I check in the car seat at the gate or do I have to check in where to check in luggages?

I rather check in car seat at the gate to avoid the mishandling but I had heard that they don't let passingers to do that anymore. Is that true?

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
You can always call the airline beforehand to double-check, but checking at the gate is perfectly fine. I'd be hesitant to gate-check a booster, though, since it's more likely that they'll lose one or both parts. At least take the bottom portion as a carry on so she has something to use at your destination. Can you pack the back portion in checked luggage? We did that when traveling with my daughter when she was booster size.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I agree- carry on the backless portion, which may not even count against your carry on allowance, and pack the back well padded with clothing.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hihodewy

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC