Question Recline Angle for rf 3 yr old

Kathelen

CPS Technician
My 3 year old twins are still rear facing. I bought Evenflo Tributes for our cross country flight next week (much lighter than our MA70s and MR65s). I was practicing installing it rear facing and the recline is way off. It is about 20 degrees. I could use a rolled up blanket to get it to 30 probably. But considering my girls are 3, do they have to recline that far?

I have a feeling that the answer is whatever the manual says, right? If so, then I will bring blankets for the plane, then I can roll them up and use them for the car service that picks us up from the airport.

ADS

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
It's whatever the manual says - to the level line on the side of the seat, if there is one.

Last edited:

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
While some seats do allow 30° as the most upright position (and from prior posts in this thread it sounds like Evenflo doesn't and you must go by the line on the seat), I don't believe any North American seat allows anything less than 30°. 30° is fairly upright, 20° is really upright. I believe there are several (all?) Euro seats that allow more upright installs, but none here that I know of.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
It's OT, but the Radian (at least my SK Radian) is just "more upright than 45*." The newer ones may be different. Insofar as I know you are correct about the rest of the seats though.

I know the Triumphs & Momentum have a level line, not sure about the Tribute.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
It's OT, but the Radian (at least my SK Radian) is just "more upright than 45*." The newer ones may be different. Insofar as I know you are correct about the rest of the seats though.
And you know, I was going to say that I *thought* the Radian might be able to! But then I thought it was the reverse, that it could be reclined more than 45°, so I decided not to say anything. LOL I know their wording is weird, they do the angles in reverse from everyone else so I think that had me reverse which way they don't have a limit. ;)

Kathelen

CPS Technician
Thanks all! I figured that it was "what the manual says" but couldn't hurt to ask. We will bring blankets to use for sleeping on the plane (red eye flight) and then I will use them to install.

And yeah, my twins fit in the Tribute rf. They were born 2 months premature and are still tiny for their age (just under 30lbs). Plus short like Mom and Dad. :D

creideamh

The Tribute has a level line. They're our program seats :D Are you flipping the forward-facing foot down? If it's up, that would make it super upright.

Kathelen

CPS Technician
I am flipping the foot for rear facing.

You know it is probably a good idea to be prepared for using a rolled blanket since I have no idea what car will pick us up. Worst case scenario, if I can't get a safe rear facing install, I will put them in forward facing.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Amy7707

You could always tie on a piece of pool noodle too. When we flew to Florida I used thin ribbon to bring along a piece of pool noodle for installing on the plane and the rental. It wad great to have in the rental since we really needed it. We just tied the ribbon through the rf belt path so we didn't have to carry it.

tiggercat

Amy7707 said:
You could always tie on a piece of pool noodle too. When we flew to Florida I used thin ribbon to bring along a piece of pool noodle for installing on the plane and the rental. It wad great to have in the rental since we really needed it. We just tied the ribbon through the rf belt path so we didn't have to carry it.

Someone came into a clinic of our recently with a tripod of noodles duct taped to the bottom of his AO, so that he didn't lose them. A ribbon or string is a great idea.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC