Recco wanted: easy seats for twins in taxis

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Also, regarding loading, here's what I'd do. Open one door, load both twins in, "shoo" them to the other side of the vehicle. Install seat one on the side of the open door, coax one twin into it. Close door. Go to other side of vehicle, "shoo" twin two towards their sibling, install seat, coax them back over. That way they are at least contained while the seats are being installed... not ideal but worth a shot. (I used to transport six kids in an SUV, so two in a sedan seems like a dream! LOL!)

ADS

jwilliams

I don't know how I would feel about a non-driving nanny in the suburbs. I also can't imagine what kind of taxi bills you are accumulating with twice a day excursions!

I would get two Scenera NEXTs, teach (or have a tech teach!) the nanny how to install them, max them out, then reassess. I agree with Carrie's logistics - herd everyone in, install a seat, buckle one kid, install the other, buckle second kid.

I'm not unsympathetic. I know first hand that twins are sometimes a logistical nightmare, and it takes awhile to strap everyone in when I *don't* have to install seats. I used to live in DC, but had twins after we left, and honestly? I don't know how I would have managed to do much of anything by myself when they were between 0-3 years (we didn't have a car).

CMeMeC

This is what I would do as well. But I'm not sure I can trust a nanny to do it and do it right.

Plus I'm not sure the limited amount of additional safety is worth the effort. In a fixed car scenario no question. In this one I'm not convinced.

I would not consider it a limited amount of additional safety. A 2.5 year old just isn't safe in a booster seat or seat belt alone. The issue is not only wiggling around while in the seat, it's also a matter of crash protection. Your nanny can't provide that. I would find a nanny with a car or an alternative means of safe transportation before I compromised the safety of my children for the sake of convenience. Things can happen anywhere, to anyone. Your children are not exempt. My kids are properly restrained in the car, even when we go to my parents house a few houses down in the same cul-de-sac. It isn't worth it.

CMeMeC

Also, regarding loading, here's what I'd do. Open one door, load both twins in, "shoo" them to the other side of the vehicle. Install seat one on the side of the open door, coax one twin into it. Close door. Go to other side of vehicle, "shoo" twin two towards their sibling, install seat, coax them back over. That way they are at least contained while the seats are being installed... not ideal but worth a shot. (I used to transport six kids in an SUV, so two in a sedan seems like a dream! LOL!)

This is exactly what I was trying to say.

I don't have twins, but I did have 3 kids in 4 years so I know the struggle. I've done what you described many times.

AllieK

So, they are only going for 5 minute drives? For that distance walking is way easier than the hassle of installing 2 car seats. A 20-30 minute walk one way doesn't sound unreasonable to me and I often do it with my 3 & 1yr olds.

My second thought that I didn't see mentioned is to hire a driver with 2 car seats already installed in the vehicle. I worked as a concierge at a hotel in college and we had a short list of drivers that could bring car seats when requested. Yes, it's expensive but cheaper than buying the nanny a car!

You might also ask around at your local church and see if someone is willing to give the 3 an occasional ride or even a weekly scheduled ride. It would be ideal if the volunteer was a mom or grandparent with car seats already installed.

In the end life without a car in the suburbs is annoying and inconvenient and I'm sure your nanny is aware of her plight. There's nothing wrong with "sitting at home in the basement" all day as long as the kids are having fun.

meljc

My son is 3.5yo and there's absolutely no way I would put him in a booster unless we were in a true emergency with no other option. It's just not safe in an accident. I think the bike + trailer option someone mentioned is great, especially now that the weather is nice! Presumably you already have a good double stroller so that's a viable option for short trips. I'm guessing the nanny isn't going anywhere without a double stroller at this point, so I'd leave the kids strapped in while installing seats in a taxi. As for which seats, I'd probably get the NEXT or a Maestro. I know that with our Baby Jogger strollers that have a huge canopy, I can rest a deeply contoured lightweight seat (like the NEXT) upside down on top while I push.

brooksfamily

Sounds like there isn't an easy solution. If your nanny isn't able to install two lightweight harnesses seats in a way that makes you feel safe I'd probably look at an alternative for the next 6 months. The bike and trailer may be a possibility if your area is bike able. If not maybe you can find another nanny that would be willing to help them out in the short term. I nannied for 6 years and definitely, worked with other nannies when two of my charges needed to be in different places at the same time. I couldn't imagine having a non driving nanny in the suburbs unless I lived in a very walkable neighborhood, but if she's a good fit otherwise I def. wouldn't get another one, when in 6 months there will be a more viable solution. Good childcare can be hard to find.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I am not at all familiar with U.S. suburbs, but I don't get why she would have to sit in the basement? My mom doesn't drive and she's looked after all 3 of my kids until school age. On days that the weather was bad they baked, did puzzles, coloured, watched movies, etc. Warm days (summer and some spring and fall) they played in the backyard, my mom got a kiddy pool, went for walks in the neighbourhood in strollers/wagons/scooters/bikes, etc.

Yours are lucky they have another one to play with during the day. Mine are far enough apart that they were just alone with my mom. But I never felt they were missing out on anything.

The few times they needed to go out, they would take a bus. They all loved the bus!

gigi

I am not at all familiar with U.S. suburbs, but I don't get why she would have to sit in the basement? My mom doesn't drive and she's looked after all 3 of my kids until school age. On days that the weather was bad they baked, did puzzles, coloured, watched movies, etc. Warm days (summer and some spring and fall) they played in the backyard, my mom got a kiddy pool, went for walks in the neighbourhood in strollers/wagons/scooters/bikes, etc.

Yours are lucky they have another one to play with during the day. Mine are far enough apart that they were just alone with my mom. But I never felt they were missing out on anything.

The few times they needed to go out, they would take a bus. They all loved the bus!
I am familiar with US suburbs and I totally agree. In your shoes I would enroll them in daycare, get a driving nanny, or get a nanny capable of making fun for kiddos at home (walk to play ground, nature walk, schedule play dates, outings to community clubhouse, board games, cooking, make and use play doh, indoor bowling, etc ). I would not transport my 2 year olds in boosters, period, but also that isn't going to be convenient at all for nanny.

bubbaray

I dunno. I took the comment to be flippant. It seems that OP wants booster (& only booster) recommendations. I'm not sure this is the right forum to obtain advice on what booster to use with a 2.5yo, KWIM?

Last edited:

mping

I got the feeling too that she wasn't really looking for advice but more looking for someone's blessing to use boosters. Wrong place :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tiffanyllmaxwell

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC