Recaro ProSPORT vs. Britax Frontier 85? Help?!

msuarez919

I was lucky enough to win a Recaro ProSPORT harness to booster for my almost 4 year old. He was very close to outgrowing his Britax MA and I had planned on purchasing a Britax Frontier 85 for him soon (I've been so happy with the Britax seats we've purchased for both of our kids, it's what I'm familiar and comfortable with). I've been playing with the idea that I could finance the purchase of a Frontier 85 by selling the Recaro. And here's where I'm confused. I've been using the Recaro for a few days now and I have to say that I'm really pleased. It was super easy to install (not that Britax seats are hard to install, just thought it worth mentioning). As a matter of fact, they have the same exact latch connectors (no learning curve :)). It had a MUCH deeper seat than his MA (is the seat deeper on the Frontier compared to a MA?) It also has 3 buckle postions, so important for little boys, especially (again, does a Frontier have this feature?) The cover (Midnight) is ridiculously thick and plush and there's even a pillow insert that provides more cushioning (I could be wrong but the Frontier doesn't look very "cushiony"). Finally, the shell/headwings/etc are insane on the Recaro. It "cups" around my son *ever so slightly* better than my 1 year old's Advocate 70 does. And I hate to say that because I LOVE my daughter's Advocate 70. The downside of the Recaro is that it sits lower than either the MA or the Advocate. And the highest slot is around 18" on the Recaro as opposed to the 20" shoulder height on the Frontier. I also really like Britax's SecureGuard feature for booster mode (which will come MUCH later on :)) that the Recaro obviously doesn't have. So all these questions... I guess what I'm looking for are some owners of the Frontier 85 to tell me their experiences with safety, convenience, your child's comfort and anything else you find pertinent to owning and using one on a daily basis (you can look at one in a store but you won't know what it's like until you start using it everyday). I'd also love to hear from any ProSPORT owners who have had the seat longer than a few days :) and any pros or cons regarding it. Either way, I know I have a safe, reliable car seat...I just don't want to be always wondering if I made the right choice, thanks!

ADS

lovinwaves

I actually love the fact that the Frontier and Prosport sit lower :shrug-shoulders: Much easier for my kids to climb in and out of and it's easier on their legs, imo.

We love our Prosports. No complaints :)

Both seats are a great as long as they are properly installed and your child is properly restrained in them with proper usage. I would recommend having it checked by a Certified Child Passenger Safety Technician.

Lemonade

Yes, the FR is much deeper than the Britax convertibles.

The FR also had 3 buckle positions. And it sits lower like the ProSport - it does not have the base needed for it to be a RF or FF seat like the Britax convertibles have.

Yes, the FR85 is 2 inches higher in the harness. Probably not a concern unless your child in long torsoed. I feel like the FR is padded as well as other Britax seats. One difference is that the FR adjusts harness height from the back so you have to uninstall or at least tilt the car's seat back back to change it, where the PS just had the adjuster at the top of the headwings. And as far as I know, the PS does not have the crotch strap for use in booster mode.

I have a very easy time installing our FRs with latch. Never installed a PS so I can't say how they compare. All in all, they are fairly comparable.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
For a 4yo who still fits in a Marathon by height, the difference between 18" slots and 20" slots is irrelevant -- both will easily get him to a safe booster age/size.

msuarez919

Good to know that they both sit low. I'm pretty good at getting my seats in, there's zero movement... but whenever I get a new seat (or don't feel 100% confident) I make an appointment with our local SafeKids seat check station, I've got one set up for the 26th (they always let me know if I'm doing everything right :)) Glad your ProSPORT's are working out for you, I have a feeling I'm going to stick with mine :) Thanks for the info!

firemomof3

Another plus about the ProSport is that it turns into a very nice booster for when your son is ready. I'd keep it and forget about the Frontier 85, just my :twocents:

Kat_Momof3

I'd keep the Prosport and not think twice about it (I think it's very comparable to the Frontier and I myself like all that body support a lot better)

mykidsmylife

Hey, I know you. ;) I am the lady waiting on hers to come to Germany. I commented on your Facebook picture. I mean, this is you, right? LOL

We have the Frontier 85 for my 4 yr old. We love it. I will have the ProSport sometime within the next 2 months but from what I have read it is a great seat!

msuarez919

Hey, I know you. ;) I am the lady waiting on hers to come to Germany. I commented on your Facebook picture. I mean, this is you, right? LOL

We have the Frontier 85 for my 4 yr old. We love it. I will have the ProSport sometime within the next 2 months but from what I have read it is a great seat!
Ha ha! Yes, it's me...I have to say I'm a bit embarrassed about my allegiance to Britax :) ...Don't get me wrong, I'm incredibly grateful for winning the ProSPORT but I'm new to Recaros and wanted to feel out what others thought about the 2 seats... Like I said, I'm pretty sure I'll be keeping it, I just wanted to make sure it was the right decision... Still hoping you get your seat before 2 months (btw, which day's contest did you win?)... Knowing you've had both, you of all people could give me the best comparison out there! :D

christineka

I had a frontier85 for a day and have now had a prosport for a day. I have a slew of kids to try in my car seats too. The prosport is fine for an average kid. If your kid is on the larger side, you may want the frontier. The harness on the prosport is short. If your kid is on the wider side, you're likely to run out of harness before the shoulders go over the top slot. The prosport in booster mode positions the belt nicely, but it is a pain compared to most dedicated boosters. Even the frontier is easier to buckle than the prosport. Also, the prosport only boosters to a 19 inch torso, so you may get one to one and a half years of booster use after the harness is outgrown. Then, depending on your child's age you may buy a high back booster for a few more years' use. The frontier85, however, makes a super tall high back booster.

What I really do not like about the prosport is that the seatbelt sticks into a child's back. The added foam wedge thing might make it more comfortable, but the child would still lean back to rest their head. I hated when I had a headrest in my van that my head had to lean back to rest on it. I couldn't drive with head support and it was uncomfortable as a passenger.

The frontier is the superior seat and for the price, I prefer it. You, as well as I, have free prosports, though. I'm attempting to sell mine to finance a frontier, but if after a week or so and it hasn't sold, It will be kept.

msuarez919

The frontier is the superior seat and for the price, I prefer it. You, as well as I, have free prosports, though. I'm attempting to sell mine to finance a frontier, but if after a week or so and it hasn't sold, It will be kept.

This is hilarious! Are all the winners on here? :whistle:

msuarez919

What I really do not like about the prosport is that the seatbelt sticks into a child's back. The added foam wedge thing might make it more comfortable, but the child would still lean back to rest their head. I hated when I had a headrest in my van that my head had to lean back to rest on it. I couldn't drive with head support and it was uncomfortable as a passenger.

Thanks for clearing up my last question but I wanted to clear this up as well. How does the seatbelt stick into the child's back? And as far as having to remove the driver's headrest -- I can't imagine a scenario where a FF car seat would require this... I'm clearly missing something...Would you mind clarifying this so I understand? THANKS! :)

christineka

Thanks for clearing up my last question but I wanted to clear this up as well. How does the seatbelt stick into the child's back? And as far as having to remove the driver's headrest -- I can't imagine a scenario where a FF car seat would require this... I'm clearly missing something...Would you mind clarifying this so I understand? THANKS! :)

I was just saying that I had an issue with my old van's seat where the headrest was tilted back so that it was uncomfortable. That would be kinda like a kid in the prosport with the back forward and the headrest back.

When you install the prosport the seatbelt or latch belt goes across the front part of the back of the seat. When taut, as it is when properly tight, the seatbelt sticks out into the child's back. I don't think it would be comfortable. My kids each sat in the seat installed for about 1 minute, so they did not complain, but I'd guess on a 1 hour drive it would become uncomfortable.

msuarez919

I was just saying that I had an issue with my old van's seat where the headrest was tilted back so that it was uncomfortable. That would be kinda like a kid in the prosport with the back forward and the headrest back.

When you install the prosport the seatbelt or latch belt goes across the front part of the back of the seat. When taut, as it is when properly tight, the seatbelt sticks out into the child's back. I don't think it would be comfortable. My kids each sat in the seat installed for about 1 minute, so they did not complain, but I'd guess on a 1 hour drive it would become uncomfortable.

Okay, I see! The latch belt across the child's back is really weird, but I've driven for about 30 minutes and barraged my son with "does it hurt?" and "do you feel anything digging in now?" questions and he INSISTS it doesn't hurt at all. He says he doesn't feel anything. And now he's pretty annoyed, too. I totally agree that it *seems* like it would interfere with the child's comfort. But my son would be the first to let me know if something was hurting, irritating or even slightly chafing him :)

As far as the other issue, I flipped the bottom piece to add the recline (from the get) and don't see any problems with the back being forward and the headrest being too far back. My son's back appears aligned and is flush to the back of the car seat and head/neck support. Maybe if I hadn't added the recline this might be an issue but it isn't one now. Thanks for answering all my questions! And let me know if you have some luck selling the Recaro :)

mykidsmylife

I used to be a Britax nerd. I still am in some ways. They have slacked in the rear-facing dept though. I am selling my Blvd b/c of the lack of legroom. My son was rear-facing to 3.5 and stopped using the BLVD rear-facing at 3. We got a Radian which did much better.

So I still like Britax but I realize there is much better out there. ;)

I entered 11 of the 12 days and they decided to send me a seat even though I didn't win one of the contest. I like them a lot already.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC