rear facing keeps slipping

U

Unregistered

When my daughter was rear facing in her cosco scenera it kept slipping out of place because it didn't reach the back of the front seat for support. WE had rolled towels in place to get the right angle and my DH got it in really tight by climbing in the carseat while we buckled it (we don't have latch, but the seatbelts lock). Anyway, it'd be really tight, but then in time it would slide out of place somehow -the front bottom of the carseat would go up and the back would go down, leaving her laying almost flat in her carseat. This would normally happen after my DH leaned over it to buckle in our other daughter. She is now 15 mos and about 22lbs so we have her FF. Now I am reading that it is still safer to keep her RF, but with the amount of trouble we had.. I am not sure it is in our situation. What do you think?

ADS

monzogary

Senior Community Member
About the only reason I could think of is that you may have mistakenly used the ff belt path when installing the seat rf. The seat belt should be under the baby's legs when rear facing, not behind them through the back of the seat. If it's not that, I'm not sure what the problem would be without seeing a picture of it.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
I agree with the PP that you may have had the seat installed using the wrong beltpath. Are you locking the seatbelt according to your vehicle manual?
Also, it is much safer to have her RF as long as possible. My DD is barely 22 lbs and will be 26 month tomorrow. She is still RF and will be for quite sometime. Keep in mind that the Scenera also has a FF height requirement of 34 inches.

You can look for a tech in your area if you are still unable to secure the seat.

ProudMomof5

Hi, I am the one that posted this and I am registered now, that is why it took me so long to get back to you.

I don't have a picture, because she is FF now.
I know for a fact that I had the belt through the right belt path, its pretty self explanatory, and not only that but I have been installing Carseats for awhile (she's my 4th) I am not saying that I am an expert.. not even close.. I just know the basics.

Anyways we drive a '98 Ford Expedition and she is on the drivers side in the middle row. Because our middle row is so far behind the drivers seat, the carseat didn't reach the back of the drivers seat so it wasn't able to help wedge the seat in place.
It didn't matter how tight it was in, in time it would slip.
i knew it was at the correct angle just by the line that is on the seat was parallel to the ground.
Oh! and one more thing, I said she was in a scenera, its actually the touriva, but I am getting ready to get her a scenera here soon because I just discovered the indents in the side of the shell of the seat. Sorry, I got it mixed up. :)

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
Welcome. I of course would recommend you try your DD RF again. It is jsut so much safer at her age and weight. Did you check the link I posted to find a tech in your area? Here is a great video on the importance of RF. And another one benefits of Rf.

I am sure a tech in your area would be happy to help you.

yep, check the belt path, use a locking clip if needed, move the front seat back more if possible and check that the towels are rolled up well, and not becoming depressed and pushed out of shape.

All car seat installs should be checked and tightened as needed from time to time through general use.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I don't have a picture, because she is FF now.
I know for a fact that I had the belt through the right belt path, its pretty self explanatory, and not only that but I have been installing Carseats for awhile (she's my 4th) I am not saying that I am an expert.. not even close.. I just know the basics.

I'm sure no one meant to seem insulting; it's a very common mistake and an easy one to make, and best to rule it out before looking at other possibilities, yk? :)

Because our middle row is so far behind the drivers seat, the carseat didn't reach the back of the drivers seat so it wasn't able to help wedge the seat in place.

Wedging the carseat in place by bracing it against a front seat won't correct this problem, though, so it doesn't really matter that you can't do it. It's acceptable in most cases to do this, but if the carseat is coming loose, bracing it will only make you think you've fixed the problem, it won't actually fix it.

It's really hard to say without seeing the problem, but I would suggest that you install the carseat rear-facing again, but don't focus so much on getting it completely reclined at the 45 degree angle. It's okay for older children to be a bit more upright. That alone may fix the problem. (And then take pictures to show us, that will help, too! :D )

Another thought - does the vehicle seat recline at all, and was it reclined when you were having this problem before?

Also, how many rolled towels were you using, and where were they placed?

I'm a bit hesitant to suggest this, because I would hate for there to be another issue that you've missed, so definitely rule out every possible problem before coming to this conclusion! But... the fact that it was coming loose in that way may even be normal. Again, it's impossible to say for sure without seeing it, but it's normal and acceptable for there to be movement at the top of the shell on a rear-facing carseat. I could completely mess up the tightness of just about any rear-facing carseat just by grabbing the top of the shell and forcing it down or pushing it forcibly - that doesn't mean the initial installation was poor.

In a wreck, the top of the carseat is going to rotate downward quite a bit, and as long as the seat was correctly installed in the first place, that will be OKAY. But because that movement is normal in a wreck, it's possible to loosen the install over time, especially if it was getting leaned on.

ProudMomof5

I'm sure no one meant to seem insulting; it's a very common mistake and an easy one to make, and best to rule it out before looking at other possibilities, yk? :)

I wasn't insulted, at all. :) I totally understand it needed to be ruled out as a possibility. :)

Thanks, everyone for the advice.
Once we get her new scenera I may try and turn it RF again. This whole RFing thing is so new to me still. My oldest is almost 9 and we have always turned them as soon as they were 20lbs and 1year... its hard to change that mindset.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
This whole RFing thing is so new to me still. My oldest is almost 9 and we have always turned them as soon as they were 20lbs and 1year... its hard to change that mindset.

I totally understand! My oldest is 13. When he was that age, RF past 20lbs wasn't even an option - there weren't any carseats that rear-faced over 22lbs!

I'm beginning to understand all the grouchy grandmas who get insulted when we insist they put our toddlers in carseats... ;)

M

Maddie1234

When my daughter was rear facing in her cosco scenera it kept slipping out of place because it didn't reach the back of the front seat for support. WE had rolled towels in place to get the right angle and my DH got it in really tight by climbing in the carseat while we buckled it (we don't have latch, but the seatbelts lock). Anyway, it'd be really tight, but then in time it would slide out of place somehow -the front bottom of the carseat would go up and the back would go down, leaving her laying almost flat in her carseat. This would normally happen after my DH leaned over it to buckle in our other daughter. She is now 15 mos and about 22lbs so we have her FF. Now I am reading that it is still safer to keep her RF, but with the amount of trouble we had.. I am not sure it is in our situation. What do you think?
I have friends with this car seat with the same exact problem. I wish I knew how to attach a photo because I have one… it’s terrifying. Rear-facing, rear-facing belt path… even as tight as can be it will slip to “back-lying” with feet up in the air

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I have friends with this car seat with the same exact problem. I wish I knew how to attach a photo because I have one… it’s terrifying. Rear-facing, rear-facing belt path… even as tight as can be it will slip to “back-lying” with feet up in the air

Hi Maddie, you will have to register an account to upload a photo, or you can visit our facebook group here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/carseatorg

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC