RAV-4

tl01

What should I know about the RAV-4 with regard to car seats? I thought I'd read the previous version was tricky with seats... Is this still the case? Which seats install well. I'm going with a friend to test drive one this morning and I want to be prepared. She only has one child and will likely get a different car when they have another wee one. Thanks!

ADS

jjordan

The main thing I've heard is that 3 across is impossible. :) I didn't have any trouble installing a RF Britax convertible (previous generation seat) in a friend's RAV-4. Are you needing to install a seat of your own for your ds2 during the test drive?

tl01

The main thing I've heard is that 3 across is impossible. :) I didn't have any trouble installing a RF Britax convertible (previous generation seat) in a friend's RAV-4. Are you needing to install a seat of your own for your ds2 during the test drive?

Yes, I need a seat for DS2 .. But I'll bring something small like the CCO. Her son won't be there do we could also install his seat since she wants to see how it fits. That seat is a britax blvd 70.

jacqui276

My husband drives a '08 RAV 4 and we have had no issues installing our infant seats (previously a Dorel Designer 22 and now a First Years/Lamaze Via). My daughter's graco turbobooster doesn't have any fit issues as well. I have yet to try installing any convertible car seats or trying to fit 3 across though so am not sure if there would be any issues.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Check out where the middle seatbelt comes from. It's the wedgie area of the driver's side. Lovely. that's what makes a three across nearly impossible. There's also not a lot of front to back space behind the front seats.

Wendy

tl01

Check out where the middle seatbelt comes from. It's the wedgie area of the driver's side. Lovely. that's what makes a three across nearly impossible. There's also not a lot of front to back space behind the front seats.

Wendy

Thanks! I'll be installing her seat for her so she can get an idea about space. Front to back space would be my worry... but I hardly have enough space in any car since DH and I are tall.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The center belt also has a wicked long stretchy buckle stalk, hard-to-compress seats... With that buckle stalk and offset center position I've only successfully installed very high belt path ff seats center. Everything else ends up outboard. Radians actually go in nice and upright outboard but some seats take up so much room the front seat is unusable (remember, no touching either front seat since it's a toyota, not just passenger side.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC