Radians and side impact crashes -- legs over the side

Mae

I remember this being discussed long long ago, but I want to talk about it again.

I just recently put the 3yo into the (RF) RN. Before that, he was in the CCO. He loooooves that he can now put his legs over the side. ( :rolleyes: The things that interest kids, right? :p)

So he's outboard, passenger side. Logic tells me that if his leg is swung over the side and he's in between the car door and the side of the RN, his little leg would just get crumpled, shattered, and smashed if we were hit on his side. Right?

What are your thoughts? Are you comfortable with kids putting their legs between the car door and the car seat? If not, how do you get them to stop?

If it is ok and you're comfortable with it, can you calm my nerves?

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I'm personally not comfortable with it, and I basically told DD not to do it. If I saw her doing it, I asked her to put her leg back in her seat, and she generally did. I think we might have pulled over once.

I realize we probably have no proof, but it seems very likely that a leg would become pinned (or worse).

Mae

Well at least I"m not alone in this thought, then. I have the [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Sunshine-Kids-Rider-Clip-Basket/dp/B000KN4T1S/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t"]SKJP mesh clip on bag/cup holder thing that they used to make. [/ame] I could probably put it on the door side for his "things" so that he won't put his leg on that side.

Do the cup holders for the new RNs work with the old RNs, too?

I really don't want his leg there!

creideamh

Not *particularly* okay with it, no idea how to stop it though (DD hasn't tried, cousin used to cross his legs.) Can't blame kids for wanting to move their legs around, though!

Diono Radian cup holders do not fit SK models. The Diono armrests have holes in them for the cup holders, and the SK models don't have the armrests, so...

smackeen

Been worried about this too.

My little guy (3yr) has short legs and loves to toss them over the side. He really does not cross them at all.

Something to work on.

I guess overall the rear facing is going to win out due to safety, but still paranoid about side impact.

Mae

It might be an issue, but I wouldn't stress too much... Broken legs can be fixed, but a broken spine can't.

Don't worry, I wouldn't FF him over that. That's not where I was going with this at all.

I'm glad that I'm not the only one with this fear! I moved the mesh bag thingy to the door side. I'm hoping that will deter him from putting his little leg there!

Stelvis

How would you stop a kid from doing this, though? Especially a young toddler? Obviously I got rid of my Radians because of Superlatch, but DS was putting his legs over the side as a 1 year old, and I couldn't see what he was doing with his feet while I was driving. I don't see how I could have made him stop.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
How would you stop a kid from doing this, though? Especially a young toddler? Obviously I got rid of my Radians because of Superlatch, but DS was putting his legs over the side as a 1 year old, and I couldn't see what he was doing with his feet while I was driving. I don't see how I could have made him stop.

Well, you can't necessarily MAKE them stop, but it's like any kind of behavior. I think my DD was about 18 months when she went into the Radian, and after I told her a few times not to do it, she stopped doing it, mostly. Yeah, it's possible she did it without me knowing, too, and there's nothing I can do about that. Like I said, I wouldn't forward-face a kid to avoid it, nor would I necessarily switch seats, but I'd sure as heck discourage it to the best of my abilities.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC