Radian - too upright with AA, won't fit in the car without - what to do?

whitneyg

I have just switched my mega baby to a RXT from his little CCO (75th %ile for weight, 99th %ile for height). The CCO will be his seat in Nana's car for as long as it lasts him. In my little Honda Fit, the RXT is way too upright for him with the AA (major head slump), but I have no room to sit in the passenger seat if the AA isn't there. Will a seat belt install change anything? Right now it is in there with LATCH. I am also wondering if a Size4Me will take up less room while still allowing him enough recline to sleep without head slump. I could move the RXT to my husband's car where it might fit better and put a S4M in my car if it would solve the space/recline issue.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

ADS

canadiangie

I seem to be able to play with the angle of my Radian + AA depending on how I position myself during installation. In your case, get overtop of the Radian and use your body weight to push *down* on the top while you reach over and grab the tail end of the LATCH strap. Wiggle your hips while you tighten and you should feel things sink right in/down. Don't give up after the first go -- it's not a science IME, it's more of a .. crapshoot. Sometimes my dh has room to spare, while other times he's eating the steering wheel. It's all about positioning and what I do it seems. Even in my Pilot I can get the Radian too upright for my 2.5yo.. or, like I said I completely bomb the install and it's too reclined even with the AA.

Don't give up. :)

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Is the seat actually too upright by degrees, or are you basing your " too upright" statement on the fact that the child gets head slump? Head slump by itself is not necesarily an indicator that a seat is too upright - as in, more upright than the manifacturer allows the seat to be.

Mercuria

OP said "too upright for him," which makes me think that it's a comfort issue.

From what I understand, head slump doesn't bother all kids, and isn't a problem if it doesn't make him uncomfortable (does he wake up crying?). If it does, and it won't install reclined enough to fix the problem, the S4M may help, but definitely check to see if it fits in your Fit. Is it an option to borrow the CCO back until you find a solution? Because I'd do that first, then maybe take your car to a BBB and try out seats.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC