Quick puzzle help please

Brianna

I need a 2 month old and a 2 1/2 year old next to each other. There will be an adult in the back as well and the middle position is a lap belt. The 2 month old rides in a SR22 and the 2 1/2 year old in an Argos. The only seat I have that he fits RF in is the Triumph which won't fit next to another seat, so he'll be FF. Other seats available are a Tribute and MyRide. Vehicle is a late 90s SUV- maybe a Blazer?

What's my best bet?

Sent from my DROID4 using Car-Seat.Org

ADS

PikkuMyy

I think I recall reading that some Blazers prohibit installing a car seat in the center seat. If you have access to the owner's manual, check that first!

I'll have to get my LATCH manual from my car but if there is no possibility to top tether the FF seat, I would do anything to RF the 2.5 year old. If the baby fits properly in one of the available convertibles, you could try those side by side as well.

Brianna

I've tried all my convertibles next to the Triumph and it's not going to happen. He's FF with his mom most of the time anyways. (Yes he still rides RF with me :)) I'm not sure it's a Blazer, but it's a similar size. I don't know if they'll have the manual, do you know why it's prohibited in some?

PikkuMyy

Here's what the LATCH manual says for the Blazer and 01-02 (no LATCH anchors) and 03-05:

"TAs are triangular cargo tie downs on floor of cargo area, about 8" back from seatback; NOT the ones at the liftgate.

Center, MY01 to early 03: Owner's manual states not to install CR here but CR CAN be installed if it can be done properly and securely; positions have been tested, per FMVSSs 213 and 225."

It says the same for the Trail-Blazer 2nd row.

Any way you could find out if it is a Blazer or something else?

Brianna

Not until I get there. Mom told me the Argos was loose and wants to see if I can do anything before they leave. She's at work right now and when we get to her house I'll find out what it is.

Brianna

It's a 96 or something Blazer with no tether anchors. The Argos fit next to the SR so that was easy.

PikkuMyy

It's a 96 or something Blazer with no tether anchors. The Argos fit next to the SR so that was easy.

I'm glad you were able to fit the 2 seats next to one another!

The LATCH manual makes no mention of Blazers manufactured prior to 2001. I have no idea if you can use a cargo tie down as a tether in a '96. :\ Even if there is a retrofit anchor kit for it (and I've been told Chevy stopped distributing them), it's not like you could get one installed right now. If the 2.5 year old is going to be riding FF regularly in that vehicle, I would suggest that the owner of the vehicle contact Chevy to inquire about tether anchors asap.

Brianna

He'll be in there very rarely if ever again, this is just for the holiday. I think they plan on buying a new vehicle before their LO goes FF.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC