Pushing on seat back

careynj

Yesterday my brother, his family and I went to test drive the Nissan NV. My 20 m/o niece was RFing as I installed my spare MA65 for her. She has the same seat in their current vehicle, but FF (I know). I discussed with my brother, not for the first time, the importance of reRFing her. He agreed that it is important to do and they will do so when the receive the new vehicle. It will be best practices in the new van, which is not happening now.
Anyway, I'm wondering if there is any risk of the 20m/o pushing with her feet on the seat back. I installed with UAS as the seatbelt and the MA65 don't seem to like each other in that car. I checked the install after I removed her and it still felt just as secure as when I installed it. I'm sure her mother will mention that she does it and that means she is squished, so I just want to make sure I know it's fine beforehand.
And also, for those of you who are familiar with this van, we had it set for limo seating. I didn't get a chance to check it out in the manual, but do you feel that the seat mounting bracket for regular seat would be a safe place to RF tether? There will not be a child needing to get past her to the passenger seat as there is now in the van they have, so I would like to RF tether if that is an acceptable spot.

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
You'll want to use the d-ring, but if you can get it around, yes, that should work.

Legs touching/kicking the back seat are not dangerous at all. Legs are much, much safer rf than ff due to crash dynamics. Limbs fly everywhere in a crash ff, while they are contained rf.

cookie123

I'm not familiar with the van or limo seating, but I just want to remind that a child seat has to sit on a forward facing vehicle seat.:)

careynj

Yes, we still have the d-ring, so I'll be sure to use that. Glad to hear the pushing is not an issue, I thought it looked fine but just wanted to confirm. Thanks

careynj

Oh yeah, it's on a forward facing seat :) the Nissan NV is a 12 passenger van and you can shift the rows back, they are manufactured with multiple bracket positions. Limo seating just allows for more leg a d RFing room.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Oh, I was envisioning the bracket as something you could just clip the hook to. If that's not the case, then yes, you'd need the D-ring. If you can hook directly there no need for it, though...at least not that I know of, which is why I was asking for clarification.

careynj

Ah, okay. I just figured I'd need to suse it either way, there is a good chance it would work to just hook on to it...

aeormsby

I found with my kids the pushing on the seat back was totally an age/size thing. It just happens when their legs are finally long enough to touch the seat (usually around 18-21 months with my kids/seats) and once their legs get longer and they can cross them easier they stop pushing on the seat.

And as long as it's not causing the seat to loosen (which it shouldn't) it's not a problem.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC