picking a booster

aja

trying to find a booster solution for my 4 1/2 year old to booster train. would a turbobooster be a bad choice? we have a young sport that my brother and his wife are using as an extra seat, so i could get them a scenera and use the ys as a booster.

can i latch or tether the ys in booster mode?

i'm thinking just getting a turbobooster for now would be better because it is so much lighter and easier to get in/out of the car. then when he is in a booster full time using the young sport and making the tb an extra.

i can take pics later of him in the young sport if that would help.

ADS

aja

we had the ideal trip for trying it out today. took my husband to the dentist so we drove a couple miles then sat in the parking lot watching a dvd during the appointment while the babies napped. that way he got a long time in the seat but i could supervise him and we weren't on the road much. he slouched a little by the end (this pic is from just before we headed home so after an hour total in the seat). he was very good about not leaning forward or messing with the belt though.

of course - not a great picture and it was pretty cold so he is in a light jacket.

is this a good fit from what you can see?

4226051723_def444f96e.jpg

Kat_Momof3

I wish I could see where his knees were in relation to the edge of the seat... I'm betting he's like Ruthie... slouching to let his knees bend naturally at the edge (like kids do who don't pass the 5-step test who are put in seatbelts)

I really like to use the 5-step test to check booster fit, too... Also, the Monterey sits sooo upright, unless you recline the vehicle seat... I do like the Vivo's natural recline (I have it in the most reclined position, otherwise it would of course be a bit more upright) and it's less deep seat to help encourage kids to sit up properly.

The belt looks to fit him fine, but he definitely needs to sit up straight (and you can tell in the pic he is slouching, but you already knew that)

It'd be fun to take him to a store that lets you take the seats out to the car to test him in them... because I'd love to play and see if the slouching is because of the leg issue or because he's just getting comfy and forgetting to sit up straight (IE, something the Vivo would fix best, or something the Parkway would fix best with that SG strap being there to remind him to stay in place)

aja

i had not thought about the knees bending at the edge. that may be why he was slouching. i'll try to get a better pic of the fit next time.

now i'm thinking me and jet need to take a trip to the baby gear store together to try out boosters...

i wonder if having a sleeping bag or something under his feet would help. he's usually in the back row and props his feet upon the seat in front of him. he was definitely bugged by them dangling.

Kat_Momof3

if his legs are long enough, a light footstool would help...

otherwise, anything that is super lightweight and tall enough for him to rest his feet on (but obviously not climb on or use to board his seat) would work.

since he's bothered by dangling legs, I'd definitely want him to try boosters, as he'll be able to tell you which one he finds most comfy for his legs and such. Also, a very comfy fabric or some neat cupholders can work great in distracting a child from their legs dangling... or heck, just a really cool looking cover (which is why turboboosters are so popular, aside from them being good boosters)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC