News Pennsylvania woman gets 3-6 years in prison

ADS

Phineasmama

I'm sure she's devastated at losing her grand kids but I agree she should be in jail. You shouldn't be able to do something that stupid/negligent and get away with it!! What did they mean that she was driving away from another accident- like a hit and run?

Baylor

I know I might get creamed for this but I am not sure this is completely her own liability. The driving yes, The kids not being properly restrained? That could be how they rode with parents all the time. So it may have been no big deal for her to toss them in the car like the parents did.

That being said, I just am not sure I feel jail is the answer. Well not completely. I would rather see 1 yr jail. 5 years mandatory community service telling her story and making sure people don't drive around with kids not properly restrained.

It is so sad.

Phineasmama

I agree the parents are probably to blame too. But we don't know what they mean by improperly restrained. It could mean that they were in there with only seat belts, or nothing at all. There is no excuse for that. We do have laws in this country about car seats and people are aware of that, even if they have no idea about best practice. I highly doubt she didn't know she was doing anything wrong. But there are too few details really to know anything.

Baylor

"Hatfield' attorney said that mother of 10, who is battling cancer, thought the children were properly buckled up in the car before the crash. "

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...killed-young-grandchildren.html#ixzz2FWwzfVdF
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

I don't know what that means. My guess is that they were buckled in the back. That article also has pics of the kids..

ETA: She was fleeing a minor accident and methadone was found in the car.
http://www.abc27.com/story/16323574/duncannon-woman-charged-in-crash-that-killed-3-grandchildren

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I know I might get creamed for this but I am not sure this is completely her own liability. The driving yes, The kids not being properly restrained? That could be how they rode with parents all the time. So it may have been no big deal for her to toss them in the car like the parents did.

That being said, I just am not sure I feel jail is the answer. Well not completely. I would rather see 1 yr jail. 5 years mandatory community service telling her story and making sure people don't drive around with kids not properly restrained.

It is so sad.

I have heard grandparents say things when they are shopping for a seat to use in their vehicle with their own grandkids... that they're only buying because the parent says they have to and they think that carseats are a load of hooey and just a way for the government to make money. I actually got riled at a grandma/grandpa one day at work after trying to patiently explain the reason we have carseat laws and why they are important - and they just got off on a rant about how the federal government makes money from it and it was nonsense blah-blah-blah... I told them that it was their grandkid's life they were risking and they had to live with themselves and then left them alone. I was mad beyond words by how truly uncaring they were. Most people care... these grandparents didn't. They were genuinely annoyed at having to use a seat in the first place.

So all this to say - how parents restrain their kids does not translate to what others do... and for all we know, the grandparents may *say* they were doing something just to get the parents to let them have a visit - and then do their own thing anyways.

The only thing I don't get is the son and the rest of the family pleading to have the grandmother let off easier. If my kids died because of gross negligence, I would be quite happy to help the attorneys throw the book at the person responsible, whether it was family or not. What kind of family puts your own kids lives at risk to begin with? Not the kind of family I'd be wanting to defend after my 3 kids had been killed due to their negligence... There's just no excuse.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC