Peg Perego convertible forward facing

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I tried out the Peg FF in our vehicle and it kinda sucks. I think it might be incompatible. But I wanted to ask to be sure. The manual unfortunately does not address the issues I had.

I don't have pics as it is pitch black outside so not easy to get a decent pic but I should be able to describe it. Here's a pic of the seat to help visualize.

Convertible_5.65_Licorice_CA_302_400.png

I think the Canadian model has a different base on it due to the ARB. The part that narrows at the front of the base seems larger than the US model pics I saw. I've even seen pics without the portion that narrows. Anyway, on our models, the base narrows at the font and is a couple inches deep. So if I put the seat flat on the vehicle seat, that narrow part is completely off the vehicle seat and hanging off the front. And then there is a good 6-7" of space between the vehicle seat back and the Peg. The gap narrows as it goes up until the head area contacts the vehicle seat. I just don't see how that would be a reasonable install.

If the back of the Peg is against the vehicle seat back as much as I can make it be, then the base touches the vehicle seat bottom at the front then a gap increases until it's a couple inches off the vehicle seat at the rear. Not sure if anyone has asked Peg if this is allowed? Seems to me that even if installed tight, you now have the possibility the base could slide forward if the forces were enough (i.e. in a crash) and have more movement of the seat. Maybe that won't happen though?

Anyway, local baby store has 10% off on seats tomorrow so I am trying to figure out if this Peg is going to work FF or not as if it won't, I will likely buying something new tomorrow that will hopefully work both RF longer and also work FF.

ADS

jjordan

Does the seat have the 80% rule (i.e. no more than 20% of the seat can hang off the vehicle seat)? If so, then I'd measure and see if the overhang you are describing (when the base is flat on the vehicle seat) is within the acceptable limits. If so, I would go ahead and use it and not worry about the gap between the back of the vehicle seat and the back of the child restraint.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
The manual doesn't address it so I am not sure if it has a rule or not. It looks ridiculous though and is super reclined when the base is hanging off the front. I didn't actually install it in that position but the part where the seatbelt goes through is also several inches away from the vehicle seat so I'd have to see if it would even install decently.

jjordan

I'd at least give it a try, and maybe call CS to ask about the 80% rule (if it is at least 80% on the seat). The inches away from the belt path doesn't bother me; that is how our classic Britax convertibles installed in our old car and the installation was rock solid.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I'd at least give it a try, and maybe call CS to ask about the 80% rule (if it is at least 80% on the seat). The inches away from the belt path doesn't bother me; that is how our classic Britax convertibles installed in our old car and the installation was rock solid.

I guess the problem is I can get a new seat on sale tomorrow only and am not able to find out about the Peg install until Monday when they are open. :(

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Buy something new tomorrow and return it if you have to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can't return car seats in Canada from baby boutiques. Not even from some department stores like Sears. I think Canadian Tire and Walmart may be the only places you can return to. Oh, I *think* our Babies R Us let's you return if it's still new in box, but they don't have any of what I'm looking at.

featherhead

I would think with the base flat on the seat it should be fine, as long as not too much is over the edge. A lot of convertibles fit that way, with only the top portion of the seat making contact with the vehicle seat. I installed my Peg forward-facing the other day, just to see what it was like, and I was surprised with how it fit. It is kinda a weird seat forward-facing. It is more reclined, and higher up than I expected. The recline mechanism is different than the seats I'm used to.

biddyk8

Can't help with allowed, but another vote on the weird FFing installation. It fits well against our Journey seat FFing but it won't work at all in the Chev Equinox due to the shape of the seats. We didn't have an overhang in either car but it was close to the edge on the equinox.

DD didn't seem to find it very comfortable FFing, she kept asking to use to pioneer everytime we went in the car with the peg installed, she's much happier it got replaced with the sureride in the Journey

1mommy

You can't return car seats in Canada from baby boutiques. Not even from some department stores like Sears. I think Canadian Tire and Walmart may be the only places you can return to. Oh, I *think* our Babies R Us let's you return if it's still new in box, but they don't have any of what I'm looking at.

Do they have the seats on display? Anyway you can ask if you can try them out in your car? I did that at target and besides looking at me as if I had 2 heads they let me as long as an employee came with me.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Do they have the seats on display? Anyway you can ask if you can try them out in your car? I did that at target and besides looking at me as if I had 2 heads they let me as long as an employee came with me.

Yes. The baby boutique will let me try them.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
At the baby store right now and there are no ClickTights as they say they've been recalled so they can't sell them. And have to wait for Britax to manufacture more.

Just my luck.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Well the people at the store are such idiots, I left without being able to try anything. I asked to try the Fllo, they went to grab one of their technicians to help me, came back without one, so the girl just grabs the seat to take it out and this was the convo:

Me: doesn't it need the ARB?
Her: well aren't you just putting it on the seat?
Me: no, I actually need to it install it properly so I can see if there is room for my husband to drive
Her: how old is your child:
Me: 3
Her: well then you don't need it as you'll be installing it FF
Me: I am looking for a RF seat
Her: I'll go see if I can find the kit with the bar

15 mins later and she still hadn't come back outside so we just left.

And prior to this the other staff member was trying to sell me a "booster" (Frontier, Pinnacle, etc. she actually meant a harnessed FF seat) when I clearly said I was looking to see if something would fit to keep her RF longer. So I had to say, "I am actually trying RF seats today to see if something will work, if not, I will be considering a FF harnessed seat, but not until I exclude the other options". She just kept looking at me like I had 2 heads.

Worst service ever and a big waste of my time and I am no further ahead.

biddyk8

Yep I had thought that when I saw they where having that event on a Sunday. Their Sunday staff are awful and clueless. Its really disappointing that the main store that has the best Rfing seats has no clue how to be an advocate for it or even proper usage.

Cnidaria

So your child is outgrowing the Peg RF? So you were going to turn her, but if the Peg doesn't work FF you're looking for a seat to continue to RF her?

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
So your child is outgrowing the Peg RF? So you were going to turn her, but if the Peg doesn't work FF you're looking for a seat to continue to RF her?

Yes she is outgrowing it RF and I am actually looking to continue RF her first. But I have someone in the house complaining about spending money on new seats so I contemplated flipping her and then found that the Peg installs crappy FF. So if I have to buy a new seat anyway, I may as well make it another convertible that rear faces longer AND will work FF.

biddyk8

Do any of your Canadian tires have the fllo out on display? I know the one in PA is on display and they have let my friend try it in her car? Just as I know I never remember they actually have a decent seat

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Do any of your Canadian tires have the fllo out on display? I know the one in PA is on display and they have let my friend try it in her car? Just as I know I never remember they actually have a decent seat

Not sure. I just checked and it says the one near me has one in stock, and the one on the other side of the city has 18 in stock. I might try calling and asking if it's on display, but I am sure that will be fun conversation and whatever they tell me is more likely to be incorrect than correct. LOL So in the end, I'll likely just drive out to the one with 18 and see.

Oh and the baby boutique also told me that the Foonf and Fllo fit exactly the same in vehicles. Seriously? One sits a ton higher, which would obviously change how it puzzles with the vehicle seat in front. Oh and she told me that if you need to put it in the middle you buy the Fllo because the Foonf can't be installed in the centre due to it *requiring* the rigid connectors and middle seats of vehicles don't have anchors. So I said, "my vehicle does" (well I've actually sold it but she didn't need to know that, haha). And she said, "oh, well some new vehicles do". And I said, "it's an '08; not new at all". She actually walked away from me with a pissed off look on her face. But come on, don't make blanket statements about vehicles, and don't make incorrect statements about the seat's installation.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC