Passat TDI?

T4K

We are thinking about a buying one new or very low miles used for the following reasons:

- fuel economy
- decent room in back seat-we sometimes have 3 kids back there
- driving experience (like how it handles)
- supposedly quiet highway driving
- holds value well

Any other cars fit that bill and the 25K-30K price range? We prefer new for the warranty but would consider something with some warranty left.

ADS

thtr4me

I have a Passat Wagon v6 and love it! I wish they had had a TDI version when I bought my car as the fuel economy on my car is awful. VW's handle wonderfully on the road, and there is not much else that I would want to drive. I don't even like my DH's Lexus. It just does not feel connected to the road the way my VW does.

Citrine

Two words, Buy Now! We have a 12' Passat TDI and love it! I am able to do three across with Cosco top side, Peg in my siggy and the Kiddy Pro, its tight, but doable. It is my husbands car. He has driven to RI, about 50mi one way on the high way 1x a week for 3 months, plus driving 10min to and from work, and needed gas 1x a month. With out going to RI, driving around town and to and from work, 2mo the gas will last or 420miles on a tank. We have a friend with a Jetta TDI. He drove to Groton CT to Poland NY for 6months, and got gas 1x a month, all highway driving. It handles well in the snow. Handleing is tight, and has fast pick up, (step on the gas and your gone). We had an 2004 Passat we traded in 2009 for a 2006 f-150. We got 10k for it. We missed the Passat so much, we traded the tuck in for another Passat last June. We never looked at any other car, hubby knew what he wanted. For reference, I drive an Odyssey. When we had our 04 Passat, we never had any issues. I went by the car manual when it came to oil changes.

T4K

Well, DH came home with one. :D It's very nice inside and has lots of nice upgrades. It is a manual so I'll have to brush up my stick skills.

T4K

And it sounds like he got an amazing deal on it through USAAs car buying service. And 3 years/36K miles of maintenance included? That's awesome.

Interior isn't quite as luxe as the competition, but it's improving year by year.

Other than that, the TDI in particular is freaking awesome! I'd buy one if I was in the market. And you may as well buy new cuz I've never seen such insane resale value.

T4K

Interior isn't quite as luxe as the competition, but it's improving year by year.

Other than that, the TDI in particular is freaking awesome! I'd buy one if I was in the market. And you may as well buy new cuz I've never seen such insane resale value.

Exactly. The used ones on the lot were like $1500 less.

AnnieW625

So glad you got one:)

We have a 2013 with a manual transmission (white) and we love it. It gets awesome mileage and we live in the SE LA County suburbs so my commute consists of a bit of city like traffic on the freeway and I am getting about 38 mpg (so about 640-660 miles per 20 gallon tank).

I do wish that they made an SEL manual because the SEL interior is nicer, but all in all I love my car and I hope you do too.

Thirsty, what car seats do you have in yours? That was why I was searching this site for Passats.

T4K

I think we have an upgraded interior. It has the leatherette seats and hands free calling.

We haven't tried boosters yet it will soon. I've had a RFing Radian and an Evenflo Maestro side by side.

ETA: we also have a white manual. :)

AnnieW625

Overall it is a very upgraded car for the price point and it being a German car w/a diesel in all, but yeah no leather w/a manual transmission. The plastic I thought was nicer than some of the entry to mid level Honda Accords, Nissan Altimas, and Toyota Camrys.

T4K

Overall it is a very upgraded car for the price point and it being a German car w/a diesel in all, but yeah no leather w/a manual transmission. The plastic I thought was nicer than some of the entry to mid level Honda Accords, Nissan Altimas, and Toyota Camrys.

Does VW make a distinction between leather and leatherette? Because we have an SE with leatherette and heated seats. I'm VW clueless. Lol.

mummykim

Have any of you fit 3 across in the Passat? We are expecting #3 and I need to trade my TDI Beetle for something with 4 doors and 3 back seats :)

We have 2 Clek Foonfs and a peg infant seat... all are narrow. Is there any chance this would work? What about in the Jetta?

Thanks!

bpirof

Have any of you fit 3 across in the Passat? We are expecting #3 and I need to trade my TDI Beetle for something with 4 doors and 3 back seats :) We have 2 Clek Foonfs and a peg infant seat... all are narrow. Is there any chance this would work? What about in the Jetta? Thanks!

We haven't done 3 across in out passat but I bet it could be done, prob not in a Jetta though

thtr4me

We haven't done 3 across in out passat but I bet it could be done, prob not in a Jetta though

I think it totally depends on which version of the Passat it is. I don't think my 2007 could do 3 across unless Radian's and/or a CCO were involved. I can kinda wedge my body in sideways between the two seats, but I think there is less than 12" between the two carseats.

EmmasMom

We did 2 nautilus and 1 bubble bum. Wasn't easy to buckle the bubble bum, but the nautilus isn't really 3 across friendly. I imagine it can be done. Try before you buy lol!

T4K

I love love love the Passat. I was very close to buying a loaded TDI... and bought a Suburban instead.

Ironically, we were between those two vehicles too. LOL.

As far as there across, skinny seats are key. Boosters are tricky. I had a ProSport outboard and a RF Radian in the middle and a booster less 10 year old out board. Doable but tight. You can also do that with the Maestro instead of pro sport. I think another FF Radian may have fit.

I have a Foonf but haven't tried it in the Passat. RFing it'll only go in the middle I'm pretty sure. I bet you could flank each side with something else.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC