Overwhelmed by choices for tall 5 year old

K

Kris

DD is 5, will be 6 in January. She is 46 inches tall with about a 13 or 14 inch torso to shoulder height. 91% for height at her last doc appointment. She is also super skinny and still wearing 4t shorts comfortably, though I don't have her current weight. She was only 35lbs right before she turned 5.

We need a new seat and I'd like to keep her harnessed as long as possible. Preferably an easy install in a Prius since this seat will be used in her adult step sisters car. I originally looked at HBB so we could use it longer. But I keep seeing the sureride come up too. Would prefer to keep it under 150.

Some I've looked at are Graco tranzitions, nautilus 65 lx, triogrow snuglock (Wal-Mart, currently on sale). They just happen to all be graco, not on purpose. Can anyone offer some thoughts? Thank you in advance!

ADS

MelodyoftheForest

For easy install, I would avoid the Tranzitions, as it tends to be finicky in many vehicles. I haven't played with the snuglock seats myself or know much about their compatibility. The Nautilus might be a good middle ground, as a typical Graco install is pretty simple, and I haven't had trouble with the Nautilus family when I tried them in my cars. Keep width in mind if anyone else is riding in the back seat, though. You're unlikely to want to fit these seats in the center if anyone else rides in the back seat.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The Tranzitions SnugLock is better than the regular Tranzitions, but I wouldn't expect it to be easy in a Prius. I haven't tried the TrioGrow SnugLock but I've heard good things in general but nothing about that vehicle. Concur that the Nautilus is usually a cinch in a Prius.

I don't think you'll really need to keep her harnessed as long as humanly possible. I think an 18-18.5" harness height is definitely enough to get a child with a 14" torso height at nearly 6 to a safe booster age! (My kids all exceeded that torso length before 2 years old.)

K

Kris

Thanks for the replies! I'm not actually sure I measured her torso height correctly. I feel like if your kids exceeded it before 2 and she's at 91% maybe I didn't measure correctly. I'll try the Nautilus and make sure we have a return policy.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Well, I should mention that my children have abnormally long torsos. Lol.

You can measure torso by having her sit cross-legged against the wall, back straight. Mark the high point of her shoulder. Then measure from there to the floor.

D

Destiny

Chicco my fit sounds it could keep harnessed longer but I have never installed one

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC