Outside USA?

J'sMamaCC

I was intersted in other seats in other countires, since the cow-moo seat posting from China- and it really intrigues me what other countries have for seats...
I think so far- what I've come across is that seats are fairly similar worldwide- HOWEVER- I did see this "Baby-safe Sleeper" that is sold in the UK by Britax... Interesting! http://www.britax.co.uk/car-seats/car-seats/baby-safe-sleeper

What else is out there around the world for carseats not like the ones here in the US??

ADS

katymyers

J'sMamaCC said:
I was intersted in other seats in other countires, since the cow-moo seat posting from China- and it really intrigues me what other countries have for seats...
I think so far- what I've come across is that seats are fairly similar worldwide- HOWEVER- I did see this "Baby-safe Sleeper" that is sold in the UK by Britax... Interesting! http://www.britax.co.uk/car-seats/car-seats/baby-safe-sleeper

What else is out there around the world for carseats not like the ones here in the US??

So it's like a car bed for normal infants?

monica-m

CPST Instructor
It's not as safe as a regular infant seat or a rear facing convertible. I can see the practicality in a city like London where you are seldom in a car because public transportation is much easier than driving. I would not put my child in one, I don't feel that it would be very safe but in a country where FF at 9 months is commonplace, it doesn't shock me in the slightest.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
It's not as safe as a regular infant seat or a rear facing convertible. I can see the practicality in a city like London where you are seldom in a car because public transportation is much easier than driving. I would not put my child in one, I don't feel that it would be very safe but in a country where FF at 9 months is commonplace, it doesn't shock me in the slightest.

I know the regular car beds we are used to with the velcro harnesses and weird wrap around belt guides aren't as safe, but what makes you say this one is not as safe? Just curious?

newyorkDOC

Bassinet style restraints are VERY popular here in Europe. Paediatricians recommend them as a preventative measure against SIDS (although that's inaccurate... I guess they really mean suffocation).

Overall these types of restraints perform very poorly in crash tests (the britax happens to perform well). I do not believe they are even marketed in Sweden. I refuse to put my own kids in one (I'm in Italy).

That said we also do not have techs in Europe. So poor installation and misuse is common and I seriously doubt most people measure the 45 degree angle required of an infant bucket.

monica-m

CPST Instructor
I know the regular car beds we are used to with the velcro harnesses and weird wrap around belt guides aren't as safe, but what makes you say this one is not as safe? Just curious?

The soft skull of a newborn slamming in to anything is bad. I cannot fathom how the occupant of this seat's head is not going to hit the side of the seat. They aren't given the opportunity to ramp up in the seat, they hit the inside of the seat. I don't think that side facing in general is very safe, especially for tiny babies.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Huh, ok, I guess not. Looks like they are better contained and attached to that seat than our big wide old seats here, which is why I didn't consider it a problem at first glance.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
monica-m said:
The soft skull of a newborn slamming in to anything is bad. I cannot fathom how the occupant of this seat's head is not going to hit the side of the seat. They aren't given the opportunity to ramp up in the seat, they hit the inside of the seat. I don't think that side facing in general is very safe, especially for tiny babies.

Is this a side-facing seat? I know I saw one once that installed just like our infant seats except that it also had the option of reclining flat. Not that that seems much safer. When the seat rotates down and back, the kid is already starting out flat. Doesn't seem like a good thing.

I vaguely remember KQ posting something about European regs re: car beds once but I have no idea what she/they said. I think the conclusion was that they aren't very safe though.

_juune

A acquaintance once retold how her physiotherapist explained what the problem with being placed too flat in case of accident would be [this was originally about a somewhat common misuse seen over here -- placing something under baby's bottom to make car seat less steep, but I think it would be pretty much the same in a side crash for the bassinet-thingies] -- that basically vertebrae of the spinal column would crash onto each other, and hip bones would likely be injured, too, because legs would not fold and move up like if placed in car-seat [I hope it is possible to understand what I mean].
And, yes, bassinets that can be used in cars are somewhat popular here, too. Likely for 2 main reasons -- bassinets can be clicked onto stroller/pram, so no need for a separate car-seat; and also some parents are certain that car-seats are bad for baby's spine because they are too upright. Pretty much every manufacturer who is not too lazy makes them too: Peg, Chicco, etc.

monica-m

CPST Instructor
According to the install video I found through the page linked, you attach a metal piece to a outboard seat belt, one to the center seat belt, place the carrier with the baby's head toward the middle of the car, attached the metal pieces to the D-rings on the ends of the seat and tighten. You do not buckle the belts. It has a 3 point harness so there isn't anything to hold baby's hips in place.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC