Original RSTV still safe?

kelpiegirl

I have an original RSTV (manufactured Oct 2003), everything I read states that it doesn't expire but is it really still safe? It appears to be in great condition, I have looked it over and can't find any issues with the stitching, webbing, etc. I have all the parts but want to make sure it's really doesn't expire before I pass it on. My youngest is 8.5yr so no need for it. Thank you for any help.

Susan

ADS

kelpiegirl

Thanks. I did look on the website and saw that. I also contacted the company and the late fall 2003 are lumped into 2004 per the manufacturer (said it was a mistake but they are the same). My concern is that a vest manufactured over 10 years later is expiring or expired, so I was hoping to see if there was a consensus on if it was really safe and useable. I don't want to trash it if it's ok but I also don't want to give it to someone else if it really shouldn't be used and only doesn't have a date because laws didn't require one then.

MelodyoftheForest

We always recommend to follow manufacturer instructions first. You have that covered! I personally would hesitate to use it further or pass it on, but I can’t point to any particular reasons not to. If it’s in excellent condition and has been stored indoors away from pests, my opinion is that it’s your decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kelpiegirl

Thank you. It has always been stored inside except for occasional use. Free of rips, tears, pests, etc. I think I will give all the information to anyone who wants it and let them decide.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Contact the company; several people have been told they recommend not using so YMMV. I would discontinue at this point if it was me as their technology has changed and improved.

kelpiegirl

Thanks. I was thinking it was too old but the company actually said that it is fine to use which is why I asked here. These are the replies I got (I responded with a question).

All original vests did not have an expiration date. Sorry our FAQs does go over expiration dates but we were not selling the RideSafer in the beginning. We knew he started selling in 2004 but not when he started manufacturing. I will update our FAQs to include 2003.
https://saferide4kids.com/ridesafer-faqs/

I asked "So basically as long as they are in good condition the vests can be used indefinitely?"

Yes, basically they can continue to be used if they are in good condition, have all the parts required and was never in a crash.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC