One year old on ventilator

kidnurse

I am a home care nurse for a one year old (9 1/2 months adjusted) with a form of dwarfism. Baby rides in a Peg Perego bucket. He did fine in this until after his recent umbilical hernia repair. Now he gets short of breath in his car seat. It's like there wasn't enough room in his chest and abdominal cavity for all his organs and when he had the hernia it seemed to give his lung some extra space to expand, now that room is gone and we need to figure out another way for him to ride comfortably without getting short of breath.

Would he be less scrunched up in a convertible seat? Are there any medical seats out there that I am unaware of that may work better for him?

Any recommendations? Mom is kind of set on the "Britax bubble" but I'm sure if there is a seat that would be better in his situation she could be convinced.

TIA

ADS

aept

It seems like he needs something less "bucketed" but still at a full 45 degrees of recline.
I would guess something with a pretty flat back like the Radian, but shorter. A radian seems like overkill for a child who would be shorter in height.
Which newish Britax convertible is it with the infant wedge insert? I wonder if that one would be flat enough?
Perhaps something like a classic marathon - making sure it's all the way back to a 45 degree recline?
(Is he big enough for a classic Marathon? Is he still quite tiny?)

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I did a test fit for a preemie in a Peg Bucket on Monday and the way the headrest is shaped a rolled receiving blanket behind the shoulder blades really helped to reposition the head and chest and open up the lungs. This is actually really easy with the Peg because you can tuck the receiving blanket behind the flap of cloth that goes from the headwings down the back and it doesn't shift around.

kidnurse

This little guys problem isn't upper tho, it is lower. It's like when they put his intestines back in his abdominal cavity they are pushing up, giving his lungs less room to expand at the bottom. He is fine when he is laying down but when he is sitting in the car seat everything is too scrunched up and that is when he has trouble breathing. I was hoping a convertible might give him more space, a different angle.

kidnurse

I think what I am picturing working better is instead of a 45* angle maybe being able to get the baby something that may allow a 40* or 35* angle so the bottom of his body is not squished up so close to the top of his body. Not sure if anything like that exists, I think he is too big for any of the car beds out there.

I think what I am picturing working better is instead of a 45* angle maybe being able to get the baby something that may allow a 40* or 35* angle so the bottom of his body is not squished up so close to the top of his body. Not sure if anything like that exists, I think he is too big for any of the car beds out there.

Hmm.. sounds like a Radian would work. Is there a budget in mind?

kidnurse

Well mom is thinking that a Britax is $400, so radian falls within that price range.

Mom drives a Chevy Traverse, anyone know how a radian installs in a Traverse?

aept

Are you suggesting he be more upright or less upright than a 45 degree angle? I thought 45 degrees the "most reclined" that is allowable in any seat that rear-faces. I was trying to suggest that he should be as reclined as is allowable.

If he is not squished in a supine position then I thought being as close to supine as possible and something with a fairly flat surface behind him (instead of something scooped-out which would cause his thoracic/lumbar spine to be flexed) would help him be most comfy.

gagenivy

The Britax Advocate is reclined pretty far when RF. It has to be in position 2, at least. I *think* (don't have manual handy) it can also be in 3rd position. I was surprised at how reclined it was. If I am reading wrong into the question, I apologize. I am thinking with that wedge, decline on 3 and all problems should be solved:)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC